Posted By
dimitri_c
May 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello –

To avoid bad surprise(s) with one of our big packaging client, who don’t use Black (K) in his prints (offset, …).
I propose my colleagues to "create" a PSD profile that replace the Black (K) directly with a specific PMS (or with the values of this PMS).
Is that possible? I f yes how can I do that?

NB.
Previously we worked (since the creation) with Black (K), and at the step of the artwork we replaced the Black (K) by the PMS (as a .DCS2.0 file).
But as I said, I propose to simulate the PMS directly since the creation…

thanks for any advice(s), have a nice day…

– Dimitri <http://www.thebend.be/can2/>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 25, 2004
I have a concept of what you are talking about, but I don’t understand the question. If there is an answer in the question, you need to give it more answers.
DC
dimitri_c
May 25, 2004
Hello Mike –

Well yes and no, there is a answer…
I find it should be nice if we can "creat" a PSD(CS-8) profile, which don’t use anymore the default Black(K), but well a specifik Pantone (PMS).
You know we are also so much surprise (in the bad sense), when the photoengraver translate/change the Black with a PMS (in our case the P490CVC, we have to use this ref. by the client -> historic reason).
Therefore it could be great if we can anticipate the preview since the creation of the project… Waouww is it clear LOL?

but any suggestion(s) is welcome… Thanks…

– Dimitri
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 25, 2004
The only thing that I can think of is to use Profilemaker Pro with a multicolor profile, but the problem is that Photoshop won’t be able to read it.

You can create your own color table within Photoshop, and assign a different color designation for Black, but, it’s a very geeky solution and you need a VERY solid understanding of WTF you are doing.

DCS 2 is the closest thing that you are going to get.

Unfortunately, the preview for multichannel mode files, uses the Greyscale profile for all 4 channels, so spot colors, and process, are a gross approximation when in Multichannel mode.

CMYK mode plus spots?

CMYK profile. Spots will take on the Greyscale profile for the preview.

Stay between the lines. The lines are your friends.
DC
dimitri_c
May 25, 2004
Sorry Mike…

What do you mean with "CMYK mode plus spots AND CMYK profile"? So there is not really a "clean" PSD solution?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 25, 2004
CMYK mode can display spot colors.

right?

Spot colors, the preview, is controlled by the Greyscale profile in the color settings.

Clean solution?

no.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections