TK
Posted By
Tim_Kolacz
May 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a pathed tif file with no background. When I save it as an eps and put it into Quark it shows a white background. I need to to be transparent. I have already removed the color from the picture box in Quark.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

L
LRK
May 25, 2004
First of all have you converted the path to a clipping path.

Next, you need to select the object in Quark and adjust your settings in quark. I don’t have the latest version of Quark and I don’t want to launch Classic or I would tell you exactly how to do it. It’s not difficult though.

Even if you don’t use a clipping path, you can make your whites transparent in Quark if you import a tiff.
R
Ram
May 25, 2004
Tom,

QuarkXP doesn’t support transparency. Use InDesign instead.
R
Ram
May 25, 2004

[Duplicate post deleted]
GG
Greg_Gaspard
May 25, 2004
Even if you don’t use a clipping path, you can make your whites transparent in Quark if you import a tiff.

That’s only if you’ve saved your TIFF in 1-bit bitmap mode.

If your file is grayscale, RGB or CMYK and you set your background to "none" in Quark, Quark will approximate a knockout by making the white (read: 0% in all channels) areas in the low-res screen preview transparent. So what you’d end up with is a low-res mask applied to your hi-res images. Not good.
JA
Jua_Alphonsus
May 26, 2004
what is the easiest way to clip an image such as a brush with too many brissels.
J
jonf
May 26, 2004
Use a third-party app like Ultimatte Knockout.

It can be done in PS alone with careful selection and layer masks, but images vary so much there’s no standard way that will work in all situations. If you have a plain white (or other color) background, my usual PS-only method is as follows:

Find the channel with the best contrast.
Duplicate the channel
Increase contrast or level curves to get a clean background. Select background with magic wand — use a tolerance setting that seems to give you as accurate a selection as possible to the edges of your bristles.
Select inverse
Outside of channels, select the layer you want to mask, and create the layer mask.

To get the precise result you want you may need to erase or paint parts of the mask, or make other adjustments.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections