CE
Posted By
Charles_E._Moore_Jr.
May 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My problem is ths: DVDs of photos processed in Photoshop 7 (jpegs and tiffs, byte order IBM PC)burned on a Mac (I’m using both Powerbook G4 and PowerMac G4 w/ Superdrives, AO3s I think)won’t open on PCs. The error message says "file corrupted or format not compatible with Windows"; not a problem with CDs in CD drives, images (tiffs and jpegs) open just fine. But a DVD on a PC’s DVD reader, nothing but the error message. DVDs not a problem on Macs. Since I’m delivering 300-400 images at 17 to 34 megs a piece, giving the client a huge stack of CDs instead of two or three DVDs is an unattractive option. Anybody experience this?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
May 27, 2004
How did you burn them??
PH
Paul_Hokanson
May 27, 2004
Are you using Toast to write the DVD? Are you burning a cross-platform format? Are you verifying after the burn? Have you tried different brands of DVD media blanks?
J
jonf
May 27, 2004
Is the correct extension on the file names? Not sure how dvd reader is working, but maybe it’s truncating file names from dvds but not from cds?
RW
Rene_Walling
May 27, 2004
Also, there are DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW and DVD+RW, all are slightly different and not all readers read all of them.

Check the specks on the PC’s reader and see if they match the media you used.
CE
Charles_E._Moore_Jr.
May 28, 2004
Wow, thanks for the responses; I burned them by inserting the DVD, the desktop icon came up I named it, then dragged the file containing the images to copy them to the DVD, then clicked "burn"; didn’t use Toast (for some reason my Toast, which runs in Classic mode, won’t burn DVDs); it verified; I’m using two different brands- Verbatim and Fuji, DVD-R; I think I’m burning a cross-platform format- during "save as" I specify PC byte order assuming a Mac’ll read both; I think the file names have the right extensions, they say blahblahblah.tif; should I go to a local 1-hour to see if their machine will read the DVD? Not sure if I answered your questions or gave you all enough info.
B
Buko
May 28, 2004
should I go to a local 1-hour to see if their machine will read the DVD?

worth a try
J
jonf
May 28, 2004
How pervasive is the problem? Have you just noticed this once with a single dvd, or is it happening consistently every time you burn a dvd for pc? A single pc user, or do they not work in any pc anywhere?
CE
Charles_E._Moore_Jr.
May 28, 2004
every time I burn a DVD read on a PC; again, fine on a Mac, and CDs from the same burners can always be read on any machine, Mac or PC
J
jonf
May 28, 2004
Are they opening the files directly from the dvd, or copying to their hard drive first? Do the files import correctly into page layout apps? Can they be opened from other applications (like Illustrator)? If you get the same dvd back from the client, the files open for you on your Mac?

Just trying to narrow down whether the file itself is bad or something in the dvd is causing the problem. It sounds like you’re saving the files from Photoshop properly so I don’t think this is a Photoshop issue.
CE
Charles_E._Moore_Jr.
May 28, 2004
I’m begining to think it’s something inherent in the Mac/DVD combination; I’ve put the DVD in my PC and get the same results- message comes up immediately that that Windows can’t read from the disc, that it’s either corrupted or in a format Windows can’t read. I’m gonna call a processing lab I’ve used (though only with CDs, no DVDs)to see if they’ve had this sort of problem before; I’ll keep you all posted.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
May 28, 2004
Charles,

Using OSX’s built-in software to write cross-platform DVDs should work for PCs as it is setup by default to write cross-platform.

However, it may not be creating a truly cross platform disk like Toast can. I haven’t used the OSX software enough to know for sure, but I am certain that Toast has never given me problems when preparing DVDs or CDs for people reading with Windows PCs.

If you have a full version of Toast (not an OEM version) that is giving you problems writing DVD, then you may be able to solve this by upgrading your Toast software. It really does work quite well.

Good luck.
CE
Charles_E._Moore_Jr.
May 30, 2004
Thanks; I ordered Toast Platinum 6, since one of the features it claimed was great CDs AND great DVDs burned on a Mac and playable on a PC— wish me luck.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections