JC
Posted By
Joe_Cianciosa
Nov 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using an Olympus C4040 digital camera. Some pictures are coming out blurred. Is there some way in Photoshop Elements to remove the blurring. I am taking my pictures in the HQ mode. Also when I try to resize a picture the resolution is 72. Is this a direct result of taking pictures in the HQ mode? I would appreciate any help I can get on these subjects.

Have a great day

Joe Cianciosa

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JW
JP White
Nov 24, 2003
wrote:

I am using an Olympus C4040 digital camera. Some pictures are coming
out blurred. Is there some way in Photoshop Elements to remove the blurring. I am taking my pictures in the HQ mode. Also when I try to resize a picture the resolution is 72. Is this a direct result of taking pictures in the HQ mode? I would appreciate any help I can get on these subjects.
Have a great day

Joe Cianciosa

Check out http://www.hamangia.freeserve.co.uk/

The unshake utility does work, but is rather CPU intensive on larger images especially at higher resolutions. Your images may be a good candidate. Make small low resolution copies to see if the program helps or not before devoting hours of CPU time to the better resolution images you want to salvage.

FYI you are probably not experiencing a quality problem (with or without the HQ mode). You indicate some photos are OK some are not. The problem is more likely to be too slow a shutter speed in low light. Add a tripod or more light.

JP
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 24, 2003
Many cameras save images at 72ppi, and sometimes that’s the resolution when they are opened in Elements. Mine happen to come in at 180ppi in PSE 2. I’m not positive what HQ mode is, but I’m assuming "High Quality"?

When I take a digital image with my 3mp camera and want to print it, I first convert it to either PSD or TIFF format from the JPEG that downloads. I then use Image>Resize>Image Size to change the resolution to 330ppi. That gives me a somewhat odd sized image that I then have to crop to an even 4 X 6, if that’s the print size I want.

This isn’t a specific answer to your question, but I hope I’ve added some information that might be useful to you through interpretation to your digital images. I suspect you could be printing at 72ppi, which is far below the target resolution of somewhere between 150 to 300ppi. At 72ppi, the print quality would be rather bad.

Have you gotten anything from this?! I can’t tell whether you’re printing at 72ppi and getting blurry prints or whether you’re saying the prints are blurry at a higher resolution.

If I’ve totally missed the mark, repost with a specific example and somebody will be able to give you a more helpful answer.
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 24, 2003
Joe,

A blurry image will never be a razor sharp one. You can’t exactly take the bluriness out, but you can deceive the eye somewhat into making it look sharper. Of course, this depends on the degree of unsharpness. A very blury image is a lost cause. Probably your best bet is to use Filter>Unsharp Mask. This is for sharpening. With an image at about 240 res., you might tentatively start with these settings in the filter:
amount 100
radius 1.5
threshold 1-3 (if there is a lot of like tone, such as skin or sky)

Do have your image displayed at 100% magnification and have the preview box checked in the filter.

You could also try High Pass Sharpening.

BTW, when you resize your images, make sure you have "resample" UNCHECKED. Otherwise you will be degrading your images permanently.

Nancy
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 24, 2003
Joe,

I just reread your topic title and now believe you meant your image is bluish-red, is that it, rather than blurry?
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 24, 2003
I thought that at first, too, Nancy, but then ‘blurred’ is clearly contained in the body of the post. You’re right, though, we need some clarification since there are two of us questioning it.
JW
JP White
Nov 24, 2003
wrote:

Joe,

I just reread your topic title and now believe you meant your image is bluish-red, is that it, rather than blurry?

Later in his post he asks

Is there some way in Photoshop Elements to remove the blurring

So I don’t think so, but good-eye Nancy!!

JP
JC
Joe_Cianciosa
Nov 25, 2003
Nancy S. & Beth H.

Thanks to both of you for your response, but I was able to solve the problem myself. When you go to image, resize image size and change the image size deselect resample image and the resolution goes up and I got a very good picture. Much better than when the resolution was 72.

Again thanks for your help & have a great day

Joe Cianciosa
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 25, 2003
Joe,

Glad you got it worked out. No, 72 is definitely not a printing resolution. Most people believe between 150 and 300 ppi is mandatory for a decent printout.

Nancy

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections