DG
Posted By
David_Gardiner
Jun 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m relatively new to Photoshop, and am trying to write an action for a © Text line. Every time I try to do this the action plays, but all of the text are entered into the same character space. This results in an unreadable line of text, and is quite annoying.

If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated. I’m working in Panther 10.3.4 & CS, if this is of any aid.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Jun 2, 2004
Make your copyright line into a Custom Shape, such as:

Copyright ©2004 Dave Gardiner; All Rights Reserved.

Then create an action to place and position that within your images.
DG
David_Gardiner
Jun 2, 2004
Phosphor,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. As I am new to Photoshop/Digital Imaging, I don’t quite follow the "Custom Shape" thing that you are asking me to create. Could you please expand on this idea? I think that I know about the "Custom Shape" tool that you’re talking about, but how do I use that to create this © text line? I only know how to use this tool in a copy/mask/etc… manor.

Lastly, this is the first "Action" that I have written, and I don’t know as if I’m doing it correctly. Basically, I am going to the Actions Palette, clicking on the little triangle at the upper right, creating a new "Set" and labeling it, then going back and creating a new "Action" – labeling it, pressing the "Record" button… and when I’m done, pressing the "Stop Recording" button. I gather that this is the correct way to CREATE an Action? I guess, my question is; "…create an action to place and position that..," how is this done?

I’m sorry if I’m asking some really simple questions, but as I’m new to this whole computer thing I kind of need things spelled out. I really do appreciate all of the help, and hope that you’ll have the patients to see me through this. I took a Photoshop class at the local community college, but it just went over the basics of working with layers, levels, history/histogram, etc. It was quite helpful, but as this is how I plan on making a living – I’m going to need to pursue this a lot further.

Thank you, in advance.

Dave
P
Phosphor
Jun 2, 2004
Type out what you want in your copyright notice. Adjust all sizing and spacing and use the font you want, because you won’t be able to easily change it after you convert it to a Custom shape.

After you have it the way you want it, go to Layer—»Type—»Convert to Shape. You’ll now see that all the text is defined and outlined by paths, in the form of a vector mask. That’s why it looks so jaggedy. Don’t worry, they behave like all other raw paths, and wont print.

Now, Go to Edit—»Define Custom Shape…

You’ll have the opportunity here to name it something like "D.G.© Notice" Click OK, and it’ll immediately available in your Custom Shapes "Shape" drop-down menu. I’d suggest highlighting it and saving it, so you don’t lose it, and so you can reload it in case you DO delete it accidentally.

That’s it for the first part…I have stuff I need to do, now.

Reply back when you’ve done this step. Play around and see how you can use your new Custom Shape.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 2, 2004
It sounds like you’re making the action correctly. If I understand, the letters are all coming in on top of each other? I just made an action ofr this in CS and it works fine. Don’t know why it’s not working for you.

Are you just clicking with the text tool or are you dragging out a box?
DG
David_Gardiner
Jun 3, 2004
Ed,

I’m going to the "Text Tool" button, and selecting the font, size, etc, and then going to the place on the image where I want to place the CopyRight Notice, and selecting a section while in "Text Tool" mode. I guess that this is the "Dragging out a box" that you asked, because there is a box around the place where I’m supposed to type.

Does this help, matter? Might this be part of my problem? If so, then how should I select where the text goes?

Thanks,

Dave
DG
David_Gardiner
Jun 3, 2004
Phosphor,

Thanks for the help. I’m with you so far, and will await for your follow up. Sorry, I had a lot of errands to run after I posted the "Reply," and just got back to the forum.

I appreciate all of the help.

Sincerely,

Dave
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 3, 2004
I would just click with the text tool in the middle of the canvas, enter the text (no box) and then position after the text is entered. Do you have a specific place you want the text to land( top right, bottom left, etc.)?

I don’t know if the box is the problem, but when I did it without the box it worked perfectly. You should also be aware that if you make your action at one ppi resolution and run it on a different one, the text will be sized differently.

Phosphor’s method is fine but I prefer to have editable type whenever possible. There are pros and cons to both methods.
DG
David_Gardiner
Jun 3, 2004
Ed,

Thanks for the help. I usually place the © Notice at the bottom, right corner. I use a frame/matt action, and place the notice on the matt so that what ever image it is placed on, it can be easily read.

Using the method that you’re talking about, is there a way to have it placed automatically where I want it? Also, I know I’m asking a lot here, but what are the pro’s and con’s of the two methods? Like I mentioned before, I need to take a more advanced class on Photoshop.

Thanks,

Dave
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 3, 2004
Easily done. Add to the action: Select All, Layer>Align to Selection> Bottom Edges, then Right Edges. Then deselect and using the Move tool and the arrow keys nudge up and to the left a few pixels so it doesn’t fall smack onto the edge. One click equals one pixel and if you hold down Shift a click nudges ten pixels.

This should work with all documents that are larger than the type size. Obviously if the document is too small the type will be too large in comparison, so if you work with widely varied sizes maybe two or three actions are in order.

There is (somewhere) a javascript that will do this for you in proportion regardless of document size, but offhand I can’t remember where I saw it.
DG
David_Gardiner
Jun 3, 2004
Ed,

Thank you, so much. Most of the images that I’m working with now, are coming from one digital camera. So, I don’t think that the resizing will be an issue there. The only time this may be an issue, is when I scan in Negatives/Slides from my film camera’s. (I’m still hooked on the darkroom magic.)

That said, it should be easy enough to write the two actions to cover my needs. Is there anything else, that I might be missing?

Thanks again,

Dave
MC
mark_c_terry
Jun 8, 2004

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections