JH
Posted By
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ok, I think it’s time for me to get a real tripod. I came to this conclusion after substituting a stacks of books precariously piled on a chair for a tripod, while trying to get "the perfect" shot for my photo challenge entry. My new $500 Kodak almost hit the floor more than once! So, I need your input. Understand that I’m not a pro photographer so I don’t need, nor could I justify a really expensive one. Heck, I’m not even a rank amateur. My wife is asking me for Christmas list options so I better get on it.

What can you get for under $100? How about for less than $75? Which tripod should I put on my Christmas list?

Thanks,

Joe

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

I
imacgirl
Nov 28, 2003
Joe,

I was doing the book thing too last night. 😉 I have an old Velbon VGB-3 tripod which is really sturdy, here’s <http://www.velbon.com.au> a link to their site, still in business! The reason why I got the books out, was I had my subject placed on the floor and lit. Couldn’t get the tripod low enough to shoot, I’m thinking of getting a mini-tripod too for situations like this.

Barb
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 28, 2003
Joe, I’m thumbing through the B&H catalog (paper version) and seeing lots of apparently decent tripods in the price range you cited. One that looks particularly good to me is the Slik Pro 330DX with 3-way pan head for $89.95. You might want to check out the B&H website for browsing, and also the Eagle Optics site.

Chuck
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 28, 2003
Barb,

‘m thinking of getting a mini-tripod too for situations like this.

I picked up a Canon mini tripod for $2 from Amazon about a year ago. It’s very handy and collapses down so that it fits into my camera case.

So what do I look for in a tripod. I know they should have three legs 😉 but you mention a 3-way pan head Chuck, which I assume is important too. Are there any other "must have" features that I need?

I’ll go check out B & H, Eagle Optics and Velbon. Thanks guys!

Joe
J
jhjl1
Nov 28, 2003
I just purchased the SunPak Platinum Plus 7500 Pro from Best Buy for under $100. It is very sturdy and can handle up to 11 pounds. It came with a nice three way head and two quick detach mounts. The $500. dream tripod will have to wait.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James W. Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
LK
Leen_Koper
Nov 28, 2003
I own several tripods and in my opinion Manfrotto (Bogen in the USA) offer the best quality for the money, although I love using my wooden Wolf tripod.
The best tripodes are the tubular ones. If you don’t use it for video, take care you don’t buy a tripod with a video head; these heads don’t allow you to use the camera in portrait mode.

Leen
MO
mat_of_the_mint
Nov 28, 2003
If you can, get not only a 3-way head but one which you can reverse the centre post – this will allow you to get down to floor level, or very near it.
LM
Lou_M
Nov 28, 2003
Leen: A wooden tripod? Wow.

I have a Bogen/Manfrotto (they’re starting to change the name in the US back to Manfrotto: the tripod body says Manfrotto while the carrying strap still says Bogen). It’s a Wilderness model with a video head (so, yeah, I can’t do vertical shots). But I use it for both video and still camera shots. The video heads pan *very* smoothly, so they’re very nice for that. Manfrottos are a little pricey, though.

Joe: You probably want a quick-release camera mount and quick release legs. As Chuck mentioned, Slik makes nice tripods. I had one once (but it was stolen 🙁 ).

Heavier tripods are good for stability in wind, but they are heavy to carry around.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 28, 2003
James, that sounds like a very good choice; I would recommend, however, that everyone steer clear of Best Buy at least for the next few hours…

🙂
J
jhjl1
Nov 28, 2003
Leen wrote:
If you don’t use it for video, take care you don’t buy a tripod with a video head; these heads don’t allow you to use the camera in portrait mode.

James Replies:
You sent me scurrying to see if it had an adjustment for portrait. I never thought of that one, luckily it does.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James W. Hutchinson
RR
Raymond Robillard
Nov 28, 2003
Leen,

I’m with you on the Manfrotto. They’re undestructible, light enough (depending on the model) to be carried easily.

Ray
R
RobertHJones
Nov 28, 2003
I agree with Leen on the quality/price factor. I have owned a Bogen for many years and it’s an excellent tripod.

New ones are outside the price range Joe mentioned but I suggest he check local photostores for used ones. I’ve seen used Bogens in excellent condition going for about $80 US. You can find used ones online also but I would want to verify the condition before I bought.

Bob
MR
Mark_Reibman
Nov 28, 2003
I was researching lightweight tripods for quite awhile. I recently settled on the Manfrotto 714 B tripod. ($99 with shipping from B&H) I was looking for a quaility lightweight traveling tripod and this was my choice. Two pounds. It is easy to pack and carry. I would have bought something a little heavier and more substanstial were it not for my obsession with lightweight gear.

It was also suggested by Grant, that I can tie a weight to the center post should I need more ballast (like a water bottle, etc.).

The other lightweight contender I considered was the Velbon Maxi series 343E, or the 347E.

Both of these tripods have good reviews but I don’t know enough about tripods to give a knowlegeable critique.
R
Redmondite
Nov 28, 2003
One often ignored issue is the feet. If you’re always going to be working indoors or on a nice hard surface then straight forward rubber feet are OK. If you may be outside on lawns etc look for one that has a spike foot feature. My old Velbon has rubber feet that can be screwed up to expose metal spikes when necessary.

Finally if your camera doesn’t have a level feature look for one in the tripod or buy a tiny bubble level and glue it to the tripod – making sure it reads level when it is level.

wrote in message
Ok, I think it’s time for me to get a real tripod. I came to this
conclusion after substituting a stacks of books precariously piled on a chair for a tripod, while trying to get "the perfect" shot for my photo challenge entry. My new $500 Kodak almost hit the floor more than once! So, I need your input. Understand that I’m not a pro photographer so I don’t need, nor could I justify a really expensive one. Heck, I’m not even a rank amateur. My wife is asking me for Christmas list options so I better get on it.
What can you get for under $100? How about for less than $75? Which tripod
should I put on my Christmas list?
Thanks,

Joe
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 28, 2003
Ok, so now you all got me thinking which iisn’t necessarily a good thing. 😉 Do I need a 3 way pan tilt head as Chuck suggested or will a ball head work better? Do I want a geared center pole or something else? Speaking of video, can I also get a head for my camcorder? Are heads something you can buy and interchange easily?

Are there disadvantages to tripods with leg supports that extend from the center pole out to the legs? It seems that the more pricey tripods don’t have those supports.

Thanks for all the input so far!

Joe
LM
Lou_M
Nov 28, 2003
Joe,

On at least some tripods (my old Slik was like this) the leg supports are all connected together at the center. This is great in terms of being able to pull out one leg and having them all come out at the same time. It’s not so great in terms of being able to adjust each leg independently, say, if you’re on a hill or uneven surface. Some of those supports may be disconnectible so you could separate the legs independently. Depends on the model.

Heads are interchangeable on more expensive models. Heck, you could spend more on a head than you do on your entire tripod. 🙂
LM
Lou_M
Nov 28, 2003
Slik’s web site is at <http://thkphoto.com/>

A lot of these issues you’re bringing probably depend a lot on how you do things. If you know exactly where you want to position things, a ball head and non-geared center post probably make the most sense. If you want to adjust things precisely in small increments, then gears are the way to go.

And if you want it all? Well, there’s always next Christmas. 😉
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 28, 2003
Lou,

And if you want it all? Well, there’s always next Christmas

Next Christmas is already taken: G5! ;-)<wife laughing in background thinking "in your dreams pal">

So if I get a Slik, for example, and it comes with a photography head, do I have to buy a Slik brand camcorder head? Or can you put any old head on any old tripod?

Sorry about all the newbie questions but I don’t live anywhere near a store that carries tripods that I could try out in person. Probably the closest would be a Best Buy in Fargo (about 120 miles away) which I try to avoid going to at all costs (Fargo not Best Buy).

Joe
LM
Lou_M
Nov 28, 2003
Wow, I can’t believe it. Slik still makes the tripod that I bought 20 years ago: the U212. It was a great tripod and apparently comes highly recommended ( http://www.epinions.com/Slik_U212_Deluxe_Tripod__Tripods_U21 2DLX) and according to Slik is the world’s best selling tripod.

And just for you, Joe, it happens to sell for $99. Merry Christmas. 🙂
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 28, 2003
Lou,

Funny you should mention that one. I’ve been "big eyeing" it on Amazon for a couple of days. It’s $83 there.

Joe
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 28, 2003
Joe: I see a decision coming very near for you!

🙂
LM
Lou_M
Nov 28, 2003
Chuck, I didn’t know you impersonated a Crazy 8 Ball–that’s terrific. 🙂
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 28, 2003
Lou, I’ve been called worse….

🙂
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 28, 2003
I am also a huge Manfrotto fan. A few extra dollars spent for a good quality tripod and head will pay off in the long run.

Grant
LK
Leen_Koper
Nov 28, 2003
Grant, I agree on the extra dollars. They will pay off! But don’t pay any attention to me: I ‘m a tripod freak! At the moment I own six tripods. Three Manfrotto’s and I prefer the Triaut, weren’t it so extremely heavy to carry around, a lighter one for taking on long trips and airplanes and one that lives in my car, two wooden Wolf tripods and a wooden Berlebach. I would prefer to work with the wooden ones, but the metal parts are made of cast iron and I’ve had to have all of them repaired at least twice.

On all my tripods I just only use ball heads as I think for photography this is much easier, versatile and quicker than any other head.

I use a tripod whenever possible; in my honest opinion it is the only way to produce really sharp images and I try to avoid flashlight as much as possible.

O yes, I’ve got two monopods as well 😉
And a heavy camera stand in the studio…

I’m sorry, I cannot help it. But I don’t drink any alcohol. And I don’t smoke pot.

Leen
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 29, 2003
Leen

I have a Manforotto #029 while they suggest you can carry cameras up to 12 pounds I would not use anything larger than a MF on it. I love it because of its versatility and reasonably light weight. It comes with two center columns, the columns can be mounted vertically or horizontally and the legs have a bazillion angles and heights. The range is from under 12 inches to just over 6 feet and it is rock solid. I did not get a ball head as I was on a bit out of a budget but that will happen soon enough.

I am a camera freak as well and can’t help it. Of course I do take the very rare sip of Scotch, but have been away from pot for a very very long time

Grant
LK
Leen_Koper
Nov 29, 2003
Grant, you had better not have a look at the Triaut 058B. Else it might take some time before buying a decent ball head. This is such a wonderful thing because you can adjust the height of each leg seperately or all of them at the same time from the top of the tripod.

There is only one thing I dont quite understand. At our age it is saving our back by not having to bend for each time we have to adjust the height of the legs of our tripod. On the other hand, it is that heavy, it is a real backbone breaker.

Nevertheless, working with this tripod feels almost as wonderful as good sex…;-)

Leen
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 29, 2003
"Nevertheless, working with this tripod feels almost as wonderful as good sex…;-)"

My god Leen warn me before you deliver lines like this. I did have coffee in my mouth and it is now on my monitor. One can only imagine sex and a good tripod …. one question are batteries required?

Grant
LK
Leen_Koper
Nov 29, 2003
Batteries to clean a monitor?

Leen
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 29, 2003
Leen,

Grant has probably turned in for the day as it is late where he lives, heck…it’s getting late here in California, midnight. But I had to answer your querry…I think you are joking about batteries to clean the monitor, right? I’m positive that is not what Grant meant 🙂

In America, anyway, whether or not batteries are required has become somewhat of a joke. I think it originated with children’s toys in the past needing batteries but it has taken on a broader, more adult meaning.

Nancy
LK
Leen_Koper
Nov 29, 2003
Nancy, I ‘m afraid I DID understand Grants meaning.
I happen to know what most batteries before the digital camera age were supposed to be used for. 😉
That’s what powerful rechargeables were invented for.

A dirty mind is a joy forever. It loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.

(Variations on the poem Endymion by John Keats, at least, if I remember well from my english litterature classes about 40 years ago)

I suppose we are completely off topic now, although it is elementary knowledge. Back to imaging instead of imagination. 😉

Leen
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 29, 2003
Leen,

You are sharp as a tack! You have a strong command of the English language.
LK
Leen_Koper
Nov 29, 2003
I had to be damn good in English.
You should have met my teacher! She disliked me thoroughly and I still don’t know why. She even disaproved of some books I read so I had to read extra books next to the 15 on my list. (she tried to convince me that "The Lord of the flies" by Golding absolutely below level in quality literature. Stubbornly I disagreed with her, kept it and the others on my list and so I had 19 books instead of the required 15. Several years later Golding received the Nobel prize for this book)
She even tried to prevent me passing my final examination by -in vain- trying to tackle me in a fierce discussion about the mental health of Macbeth!.

It has been the only time in my life I stood up to a woman and won! 😉

Leen
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 29, 2003
Leen: I believe Golding won the 1983 Nobel for the body of his work, not just "Lord of the Flies"…but that doesn’t really change your story. Minor detail….
🙂
LK
Leen_Koper
Nov 29, 2003
Chuck, you are absolutely right.
I humbly apologise.

Leen
LK
Leen_Koper
Nov 30, 2003
Back to the original question about tripods: this might be some useful text:

< http://luminous-landscape.com/essays/tripods_&_heads.sht ml>

Leen
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 30, 2003
Thanks for the link Leen. Good stuff, although the tripod that guy uses is a little out of my price range ($700+). That would be nice but I don’t think my wife’s Christmas budget will handle it. 😉 Good information, though, especially what was said about replacing the center column. I never would have thought about that.

Joe
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 30, 2003
Joe

A good thing to keep in mind is that a $700 tripod is not going to be seven times better than a $100 tripod but they any tripod will be infinitely better than no tripod. Ok so I exaggerate a bit.

Grant

Note to Self …. "I have told you a million times not to exaggerate!"
JF
Jodi Frye
Nov 30, 2003
I bought a heavyweight Vivitar at walmart for around $30. So far so good. It has all the bubbles in the right places and a hook to hang something from under center. Who the heck can afford to pay $100+ for a tripod…well surely not me said the bee.
who am I said the fly.
LK
Leen_Koper
Nov 30, 2003
Joe, buy something expensive for your wife and tell her loud and clear with a lot of witnesses how much you spent because you love her so much…
And how badly you need a $700 tripod.

These tactics might work.

If not, you probably will regret you didnot spend the money on this tripod…. But she will be happy….And, hopefully she won’t forget next year.

Leen
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 30, 2003
Well, I did just buy her a new mini van, but I don’t think that’ll work in this situation. She’ll tell me "we" bought a new mini van and that I drive it as much as she does. Hmmm…

See the thing is Leen, that I’m working on her for a new G5 and Apple LCD. If I push the $700 tripod, I think I might loose any ground I’ve gained on the G5 front. And I really want a new G5. Bad. It’s sort of a "you have to pick your battles" kind of thing.

The other thing is that although Reichmann says the tripod is the most important link in the chain, I can’t see myself spending more on the tripod than I did on my new camera.

Yes, this tactic can and has worked in the past. It doesn’t really fool my wife or anything, she’s too smart for that.

🙂

Joe
LK
Leen_Koper
Nov 30, 2003
Maybe you can tell her you both really need tripod, a G5 and an Apple LCD? She can use these items as much as you will.
Or is she that smart?

Leen
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 30, 2003
She’s way smarter than that and has about as much interest in a new G5 as I have in cooking which is sort of her hobby. Ok, I like to eat what she cooks, so in that sense I do have an interest. I have absolutely no interest in the actual act of cooking though, and one pot/pan is as good as the next in my eyes.

She uses our current Mac for checking email and very occasional web browsing. It’d be hard to convince her that she needs a $3000 + set up for that. No the G5 is my baby and she knows it.

😉

Joe
LM
Lou_M
Nov 30, 2003
What about an inexpensive Manfrotto?

< http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&amp ;A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=251019&is=REG&si=fea t#goto_itemInfo>

I don’t own this model, so I don’t know how good it is.
SK
Shan_Ko
Nov 30, 2003
Leen,
The URL in you post #34 showing the Arca Swiss Ballhead really brings back memories. It’s one of the few things that I thought I must have to really improve my medium format technique. But the price was simply way too much, almost the cost of a Nikon FM body then! Had to settle for the slightly lesser Gitzo ball at half the price (still way too expensive for me). Unfortunately, I didn’t notice any improvement in my photos. 🙁

TO JOE
For my general use, I found that irrespective of cost and manufacture the strength of a tripot bears roughly to its weights. Or, at least weight increased by suspended bottles or (my favorite method) big ziplock bags of sand/gravel/small rocks. Geared center columns are fine if there is a need for extreme fine tuning of heights. I prefer a short center column with hole drilled near the bottum for hanging stuff. Of course camera height change will have to be handled by the legs. In any case, a center column raised too high defeats the purpose of having a tripot’s three legs.
BTW, those sliding ties/braces from the legs to the center colum are virtually useless. If they are to form triangular braces, which are good, they have to be attached firmly, which they can’t be because they have to slide up and down. They are mainly for show!
Just my two cents to this discussion.

Shan
RH
ronald_hands
Nov 30, 2003
My choice of tripod was the Manfrotto 055C with a 141RC pan-tilt head with quick release. (I think — but can’t guarantee — that this is equivalent to Bogen 3021/3030 combo if anyone wants to look it up on the Bogen or B&H sites.)
Had a smaller Manfrotto earlier, the Art190, with a smaller pan-tilt head, but got tired of bending over.
The 055C has a nice positive clamp action on the leg length, will hold 11 pounds (which makes it look like overkill for my Canon A40 :-)), has click stops on the legs which will allow them to splay out so they’re almost flat on the ground; the centre post is reversible. In short, it has everything I want — except light weight. I tried a ball mount for a while but didn’t like it, particularly for portrait format shots.

— Ron
Hamilton, ON
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 30, 2003
In the category of "If I knew then what I know now" (or maybe if that’s "If I knew Leen that I know now"):

I bought what I thought was a very nice Bogen tripod a number of years ago, but it was on the basis of "I need a tripod, so I’ll get a Bogen." What I got was the 3011 tripod, which has a very long center post that’s great for people who are 7 ft. tall but does no good for taking close-to-the-ground shots, and a 3160 tilt-pan-quick release head which is not very helpful when you need to tilt the head a little to one side to get that horizon straight (wind up adjusting the length of one leg…a real pain).

Moral of the story: figure out in advance what you’re going to do with the tripod, then get the one that has the required features – just like you would do with a camera. All Bogens/Manfrottos are NOT created equal…

Chuck

p.s. Tripod for sale….
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 30, 2003
I made a mistake when I was describing my Manfrotto. I do not have a 029 tripod that is the number of the camera head that I have. I have the Manfrotto 455 tripod. While the head is still available the tripod has been replaced but the Manfrotto 055 Pro While this tripod is out of you price range … no not $700 …I would seriously consider it. In the US it is sold as Bogen 3021 PRO and it can be had for about $140 if you shop around. If you coupled this with the head that Ronald likes Bogen 3030 under $60 US Dollars (Manfrotto 141RC in the rest of the world ) you will have a set up that should last a life time or on that you can grow with if you ever want to advance to one of those Jim Dandy ball heads. This is one a sweet tripod for all sorts of photography and shines where the ground is not level the camera set up will be in an awkward location.

Grant
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 30, 2003
Grant, I was just looking at the 3021 PRO online and it looks fantastic – do you use the center column in the horizontal position at all? That seems to be what distinguishes it from the 3021N, which is only $10 US cheaper… And that price for the 3021 PRO is the going rate at B&H.

Chuck
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 1, 2003
Chuck

I do use the center column horizontally not sure how often but it changes so quickly, it is just in and out in a flash, I hardy give it a second thought. I use it for copy work, table top photos (Little brown jug was shot this way), and low angle shooting. The thickness of my camera is the limiting factor in how low I can adjust the shot. The availability of a step ladder will determine how high I can shoot. When I got mine they also offered a very short center column that is very good for low work but not as convenient a change as vertical to horizontal. I suspect if I had a center head this would be a real plus.

Grant
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 1, 2003
Grant, thanks. Sounds like an ideal setup.
LM
Lou_M
Dec 1, 2003
Hey, Joe, it would be nice if everyone could drive Ferraris and have $4000 cameras and $700 tripods 😉 but that Slik tripod you mentioned at $80 seems like it would be a nice tripod to have. That’s a really good price you found for it.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 1, 2003
Joe,
Thanks so much for starting this thread! I have been agonizing over what tripod to buy for several months. I just found this thread, and it answered nearly all of my questions. I think for me, the answer is TWO tripods. A big, very stable one, where weight is no object, and a small, portable one I can take on hikes, etc. I’ll be carrying a small camera when I’m out hiking, so I don’t need one that will hold a large camera.
One thing that no one mentioned is that some tripods have a hook on the bottom of the center post, so you can hang your camera bag or something there to add weight for stability. It’s not a big point, but I’d like to have that feature.
Bert
EDIT: Oh, one more point: Many of the smaller cameras do not have a remote shutter release. If you have to push the shutter release button, don’t you lose a lot of the advantage of the tripod because you are introducing vibration?
LM
Lou_M
Dec 1, 2003
Bert, press g-e-n-t-l-y. 🙂

Or if you’re taking a still shot, just use the self-timer. That’s probably even better than a remote shutter release.

And, yeah, two tripods is a great idea. Those Manfrotto monsters weigh a ton. But they sure are tanks. A third tripod might even be a table-top tripod. And then you’ll need a video head for smooth panning, and then . . . why do I always want to spend more money are reading this forum? Is it something in the water here? 😉
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 1, 2003
Lou,
Using the timer sounds like the answer. Never thought of that.

Another question: Reading the specs on several of the tripods referenced in this thread, they specify a "maximum operating height." Does that mean with the center post extended as far up as it will go? The SLIK U-212 tripod, for example has a MOH of 63 inches. I’m over six feet, and that would mean a lot of stooping, wouldn’t it? Especially if it’s bad to extend the center post.
Some of the more expensive ones, professional models, have an MOH of 73 inches, but folded down, they’re still huge and heavy.
Bert
LM
Lou_M
Dec 1, 2003
Yeah, but how many of your pictures are taken at eye level? I think discomfort’s built in to the essence of photography. 🙂
MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 1, 2003
I decided on the two tripod system as well. I have the lightweight Manfrotto that I can take with me on long hikes or even in my Camelbak while I’m on a bicycle ride. I will probably get something more substanstial in the future to go along with my next digital camera (SLR). Someday……
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 1, 2003
I’ve got a lightweight aluminium small SLIK tripod (no longer on their catalogue)- it really was too light for my SLR, but is ideal for out and about with my G3 – folds up to around 30cm and weighs less than a pound. I would not however trust my camera to it in a high wind without a stabilising hand nearby. I’d like a heavier one (with a spirit level and quick release head) but, especially if used in conjunction with some extra weight hung on it and the remote control or self-timer it serves its purpose well. At least being light weight I actually carry it around and use it – I did have a heavy good tripod many moons ago, but I never used it so I replaced it with the little one.

Susan S.
RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 1, 2003
I have 2 tripods, both Bogen Manfrottos. The 3405 Junior that comes in under the $100 price mark, but is a bit limiting. And the 3001BPro with a 3030 head. The 3001Pro has the horizontal mount etc. This setup cost $175 on BH, which is about $75 less than MSRP. I’d go the extra $75 and have the added flexibility.

Leen will understand this expression, "Goedkoop is duurkoop". Roughly translated, "Buying cheap can be expensive". Those Dutch have an expression for everything.

Rich
LM
Lou_M
Dec 1, 2003
Everyone’s given great advice in this thread, but I’m just trying to keep in mind that this isn’t a matter of how long Joe needs to save up his pennies. It’s a gift, and one in which a set amount has been determined.

There are a lot of options here. Joe could ante up the additional 75 bucks, or maybe promise to take out the garbage more often 😉 Offering to do diapers or litter boxes is always a big hit, too!

Or maybe if he sticks to his under $100 price, he should get a monopod? Or a used tripod? Or . . . ?

<http://bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/bogtri.html>
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 1, 2003
Everyone’s given great advice in this thread, but I’m just trying to keep in mind that this isn’t a matter of how long Joe needs to save up his pennies. It’s a gift, and one in which a set amount has been determined.

Excellent point Lou! I’d sort of forgotten that myself. My wife thanks you. 🙂

I think if I can keep the cost to around $100 I’ll get a tripod this year. I already do the diapers and we don’t have a cat so I think that’s about as far as I can go there. 😉

Thanks for the link Lou. More great info.

Joe
LM
Lou_M
Dec 1, 2003
Glad to help, Joe. Let us know what you end up getting.

And if you need a cat, we’ve got a few extras for ya. 🙂
JG
Julio_Guerra
Dec 2, 2003
Leen and others
Would you comment on the use of a monopod. I have one and it is nice to walk with in the snow and ice covered walks. I also use it to steady my shots. I know that it is not as good as a tripod but it is sure handy at times.

Please comment on correct uses or tips on making it work its best. Thanks
Julio
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 2, 2003
Julio, I have a sturdy Manfrotto Monopod as well and I use it mainly at weddings in a church. It gives me the few extra stops I often need. Usually I press it against a bench or I lean against a pilar to prevent camera shake, The pilar or the bench etc. prevent horizontal and the monopod vertical movements.

A good monopod technique I once read and apply outdoors: place the bottom end inside the inner side of your shoe and press the monopod against the inside of your knee. This really works as long as you keep the pressure.

Leen
LM
Lou_M
Dec 2, 2003
Oh, and after you take the picture–don’t walk away from the monopod as if it were a tripod. 😉
I
imacgirl
Dec 2, 2003
I never have used a tripod with my digicam, but since the #2 Photo Challenge assignment was pottery I decided to light the subject at night and get out my old tripod. Much to my surprise the tripod socket on my Minolta Dimage S414 is off to the front left bottom, a really lousy location! It’s bad, but not as bad as on the mini-tripod I purchased yesterday, the camera tips over, that’s going back. Well I guess it’s back to using a book or two when shooting at ground level. Anyone else have their tripod sockets in a location like this or have any solutions? Guess they ran out of room in the center…

Barb

p.s. …but I still love my camera!
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 2, 2003
tripod socket on my Minolta Dimage S414 is off to the front left bottom

Wow, I never thought to look…whew, mine are both in the center. I suppose it wouldn’t matter with a large or heavy tripod. Still, seems like a not-good idea to have it off-center. Something else to check when buying new cameras…thanks, Barb.
Bert
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 2, 2003
A lot of compact digicams have the lens off-center, and place the tripod mount under the focal plane – so the mount is not centered on the body.

This allows for tripod-mounted rotation around the focal plane to get better panoramas, so in most cases it is a good thing.

In the case of Barb’s S414, though, the placement of the tripod mount is the subject of a certain amount of criticizm… given that it’s off to the extreme corner of the body, not lined up with the lens.

Even in the case of the mount being centered on the lens, the off-set can make using a table-top ‘pod a risky maneuver.

Byron
I
imacgirl
Dec 2, 2003
Bert, that’s great yours are centered, maybe it’s ’cause mine is a point and shoot type digital camera? I’m glad I don’t rely on a tripod normally; it is rather awkward! With my larger tripod it’s OK, but forget the mini! The weight of the batteries on the right (4 AA) and the left socket location make it tip instantly. My other Minolta 35mm film cameras, SRT SC-II and X-700 have the sockets centered, I never thought to look at the digicam until this past weekend. 😉 Not a good feature…

Barb
I
imacgirl
Dec 2, 2003
Byron,

Thanks for the explanation, I was wondering if mine was the only model with this "feature", I figured what better place to ask than this forum. I’m glad I tried the mini tripod out on the carpet first!

Barb
JG
Julio_Guerra
Dec 2, 2003
Leen
Thanks I knew you would have a trick or two to share. I will use them from now on. Julio
MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 2, 2003
Barb,

You’re not alone. Both of my Canons have the tripod mount off center. Canon S110 and G2.
I
imacgirl
Dec 2, 2003
Mark, thanks for sharing where yours are, glad I’m not the only one. 😉

Barb
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 3, 2003
I have a Manfrotto monopod and I seldom use it. I find my chain trick much easier to use, less bulky and acceptable in museums and art galleries. The Manfrotto seems to work better with long lenses although I don’t think I get more than a two stop advantage with it over hand held.

Doreen has and uses a Leki walking sticks, oh pardon me trekking poles, with a camera head. it is light weight, convenient for walking and almost as good as a Monopod. The only limitation is that you do have to stoop to use it.

Grant
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 3, 2003
Barb

The balance problem with an offset tripod mount is not the only problem. If you try to take a number of shots panning the camera doesn’t swivels not around the film center and the results are slightly distorted images when you stitch them together. If you look around you can usually find an inexpensive adaptor that will fix this problem.

Grant
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 3, 2003
Ok, more questions:

As I was looking at that Manfrotto that Lou recommended, I noticed that the ball head is not removable. I think I want to be able to remove that don’t I? I was hoping to be able to use the tripod with my camcorder as well and just assumed that I’d need to have a different head, like a 3 way pan head or something. One of the other tripods I was looking at came with a quick release plate. Don’t I need one of those? Can I use those with that Manfrotto?

Thanks everyone for you input so far.

Joe
MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 3, 2003
Grant,

Thanks for mentioning the adaptor. Afterall, I did buy the tripod to do landscape stitching.

Joe,

Why don’t you call B&H and ask them about the removable ball head?
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 3, 2003
Joe

All your answers can be found here

http://www.manfrotto.com/home/

Grant
I
imacgirl
Dec 3, 2003
Grant, thanks I didn’t know about the distortion, although I haven’t shot anything to stitch together; I’m always shooting in macro mode. 🙂 I’ll look into an adaptor for the tripod just in case I do. I thought I was very observant with all my equipment, guess not. I’ve looked at the bottom of that camera thousands of times changing batteries and never took notice of the socket location until I used it! 😉 I wasn’t going to bring this up on here, but I’m glad I did, once again I learned something new!

Barb
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 3, 2003
Thanks, Barb, for sharing your problem with us. You helped me, by making me more aware of a possible problem with tripod mounting, something I would probably not have though of without your help.
Bert
I
imacgirl
Dec 3, 2003
Bert, you’re welcome. Sharing, even the problems, is the only way to learn!

Barb
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 3, 2003
Yup
RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 3, 2003
Ball heads can also be tricky when doing panoramas. I personally prefer pan and tilts, but it’s just a matter of taste. I know the cheaper Manfrotto does not have a removable head. But via BH you can get tripod and head combos starting at about $150.

Rich
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 3, 2003
Richard,
Thanks for the comment on ball heads. One of the primary reasons I want to buy a tripod is to do some panoramas, and I was thinking that a ball head would not be the best for that. You have confirmed my suspicions.
Bert
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 3, 2003
Bert and others, anyone trying to produce high quality panoramas should do a search on the internet for information about the "nodal point". This knowledge is extremely important.
The best head for panoramas is one with an a engraved scale and a leveling instrument on it, this way you can be sure the images will overlap and be exactly horizontal.

Leen
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 3, 2003
Well I just noticed that my camera’s tripod mount is offset as well. So, does anyone know what would you call that adapter Grant was talking about? Have you looked for one yet Barb? I looked around the Manfrotto site but didn’t see anything that looked like it would take care of this problem. I’m going to check out B & H next.

Joe
I
imacgirl
Dec 3, 2003
Joe, I haven’t gotten around to it yet. I’ll hunt around later on and let you know if I come across anything. Maybe Grant will know?

Barb
I
imacgirl
Dec 3, 2003
Joe, I just came across this place Accessory Finder < http://www.accessoryfinder.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category =tpddc>, you may want to look here. My dial-up is too slow, figured you’d be able to sift through this faster than I. 😉

Barb
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 3, 2003
Barb, that’s really weird. The link you gave me is B & H’s tripod/accessory page, just dressed differently. Did you know that? Anyway, I’ve looked through a bunch of the sub headings but can’t find anything that addresses the offset mount problem. I’m probably not looking in the right areas. I’ll keep looking. I might even take Marks advice and pick up the phone. 😉

Joe
I
imacgirl
Dec 3, 2003
Joe, that is strange, I had no clue that would happen! 😉 I thought it was a site that locates accessories of all sorts, maybe the tripod category is automatically linked to B&H?? I’ll look some more later…I don’t have the time right now.

Barb
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 3, 2003
I purchases a camera bracket from Lensmate http://www.lensmateonline.com that has the prescribed offset but I do believe that the only make one for the G1, you will have to check around. If you have trouble the are easy to make as the tripod socket is just a 1/4 – 20 tapped hole.

Grant
I
imacgirl
Dec 4, 2003
Grant, the B&W infrared pano at the site you posted is fabulous! Wonder if I can get some filters for my Minolta Dimage? I’ve shot some infrared color slide film in the past with the 35mm and this makes me want to get some filters for the digicam too. Better yet, is there a filter for Elements to recreate infrared that is Mac compatible or can it be simulated via the Channel Mixer?

It’s funny how one topic often leads to another here, I love it, what an inspiration! 🙂

Barb
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 4, 2003
Barb

One of the advantages of the G1 is that it is well tuned to infrared. I suspect when they moved to the G2 Canon built in an infrared mask limiting this use. This is one of the reasons I went for the G1 but alas I didn’t take as many IR photos as I could have.

Grant
I
imacgirl
Dec 4, 2003
Grant,

Lucky you! Mine only has Vivid Color, Black & White, Solarization and Sepia for the extra settings, although I haven’t tried any of those yet, Elements takes care of a lot!

Barb
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 4, 2003
Barb

There is no setting for IR and you must use filters and the like but …. chip is extremely sensitive to IR and I suspect this may cause some colour shift in other areas although I have not seen it. In any event Canon decided to block this with later cameras

Grant
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 4, 2003
Leen,
Thanks for the info on the "nodal point."
I found the following website that describes it, and gives a simple procedure for determining it for any lens/camera combination:
<http://www.edb.utexas.edu/teachnet/QTVR/NodalPoint.htm> bert
I
imacgirl
Dec 4, 2003
I got it Grant, my misunderstanding, thanks! 😉 An IR setting on a digital camera would be nice.

Barb
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 4, 2003
Barbaram, a nice link to IR photography the cheap way:
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~wiskerke/artikelen/infraroodeng.html>

Although this website is mainly in Dutch, this is in english too. There are many nice topics and links on this site; worth bookmarking.

Leen
I
imacgirl
Dec 4, 2003
Leen,

Thanks, great link! Definitely worth bookmarking, very informative. I just tested my Minolta Dimage S414 and the light from the remote is white, no infrared blocking filter in front of the chip! 🙂 Now I have to locate two frames of developed unexposed slide film, although it may be easier to get a Wratten 87 C IR filter. My camera has no way to attach filters, also need an adaptor if they make one. My wish list is forever growing! 😉

Does anyone know if the IR appearance can be reproduced in Elements? I could then use it on any of my images and it would be a whole lot cheaper. 😉

Barb
R
RobertHJones
Dec 4, 2003
Hi Barb,

Here’s another infrared link for you:
http://www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/ir.htm#testing
Has lots of good information and well worth the read.

The IR response of digital cameras varies greatly. Even passing the "remote control test", the 87 and especially 87c may not work well with many. The 89b has more transmission and may work better with the lower sensitivity cameras.

I bought my 89b from Harrison Optical, they manufacture their own filters and are quite inexpensive. You can get a quote at I
don’t know about a filter mount for your camera. That will be a problem.

Does anyone know if the IR appearance can be reproduced in Elements? I
could then use it on any of my images and it would be a whole lot cheaper. 😉

You can simulate some aspects, I know of a link that describes one technique. Let me look around and see if I can find it again.

Bob
I
imacgirl
Dec 4, 2003
Bob,

Thanks, I’m really glad I asked about this, these links are most helpful and so is all your information. I’d appreciate the Elements link, very kind of you to look for it!

Edit: Sorry Joe, for taking over your topic with IR…we’ll get back to tripods soon! 😉

Barb
R
RobertHJones
Dec 4, 2003
Barb,

Here’s a link on simulating the infrared look in Photoshop. http://www.apogeephoto.com/may2003/mfulks52003.shtml

This uses the color mixer control which isn’t surfaced in Elements. But, it is hidden in Elements and the free Hidden Power tools package contains a tool to get to it. So, you can do it in Elements.

The tutorial does well in simulating the lightened color of green plants but doesn’t deal with the darkened sky effect. If you play around with this, you may want to keep this in mind and possibly reduce the blue a little more and/or mask the sky area to increase the contrast of it while leaving the rest of the image alone.

Infrared also cuts through haze rather well and this will be harder to simulate. You can get somewhat of a simulation by increasing local contrast by using the unsharp mask filter: lower the amount setting to something like 50-60 or so and set the radius high, say 25-30 or so and play with it until you get something that looks good.

Bob
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 4, 2003
Wouldnot it be nice to start a new topic about IR images? This might be useful for later reference.

Leen
I
imacgirl
Dec 4, 2003
Bob, thanks so much! 🙂 I followed Leen’s suggestion and moved the IR parts of this thread to a new Infrared Images topic. It is very interesting and hope some others think so too! Some great links for all.

Barb

p.s. Joe we have now moved off your topic! 😉
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 4, 2003
Don’t worry Barb, I think this thread has run it’s course. Now where is that dang TV remote? 😉

Joe
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 4, 2003
This is way off topic.

I always wonder why on the remote of my cd player is a button that says "open". After pushing this buttton I have to walk to the cd player to insert a new cd.

BTW, my wife insists on storing the remote next to the tv. I always wonder why she still calls it a "remote".

Leen
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 4, 2003
Leen is a funny guy with good observations of human behavior.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 5, 2003
I have pondered on that one as well Leen, among other great mysteries of the Universe.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 5, 2003
I’d like to drag this thread back on-topic for a moment. I had just about decided to buy a Bogen-Manfrotto 3001PRO with 3030 head. I was ready to place the order…and then while I was out running today, I had a sudden thought. I want to be able to take this tripod when I travel…a large part of my photographic activity is taking travel pix. I recently bought a really nice Samsonite rollaboard to carry all my camera stuff. I didn’t want to check my precious toys and subject them to the brutal treatment that checked luggage endures. The Samsonite is just barely under the legal size limit for rollaboards. What I particularly like about it is that it’s hard-sided, providing extra protection for the contents. The interior dimensions are 21 x 13 x 8 inches.
I just checked the folded length of the Bogen, and it’s 27.3 inches. Back to the drawing board. I wondered if any of you tripod experts happen to know of a good quality tripod that folds down to around 20 inches. I’m looking at the site that Grant posted, but haven’t found anything that short that has a maximum operating height of more than about 40 inches. I would LIKE a MOH of at least 60 inches, if possible.
Bert
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 5, 2003
Bert

Manfrotto makes really cool carrying bags that withstand air line travel.

Grant
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 5, 2003
Bert,

just checked the folded length of the Bogen, and it’s 27.3 inches

It wouldn’t fit diagonally would it?

Joe
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 5, 2003
Bert,

B & H has the Manfrotto 719B < http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&amp ;A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=251019&is=REG&si=fea t#goto_itemInfo> on sale for $89.95. It’s less than 21" folded with the ball head (which isn’t removable). It has a MOH of 64.5". Might that work? If so, thank Lou, he’s the one who put me on to it.

Joe
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 5, 2003
Grant,
Thanks, but I think I would rather fit it inside the carryon if I can…just one more separate thing to carry (and maybe lose) otherwise.
Bert
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 5, 2003
Joe,
No, the diagonal dimension is only a couple inches longer…I thought of that. The Manfrotto 719B would be perfect if it had a 3-way tilt/pan head. I want to do panos, and trying to keep it level with a ball head would be tricky, wouldn’t it?
Bert
EDIT: I may have found the answer…the very last page on the website has B-M Model 728B with pan head. Max operating height is 68.9", folded length 20.7"
B
Barry
Dec 6, 2003
Have you checked out the Velbon Ultra maxi (345?). Folds down to 13 inches and weighs less than 2 pounds. I’m currently in the process of checking it out and would be interested in others thoughts.

Barry

wrote in message
Bert

Manfrotto makes really cool carrying bags that withstand air line travel.
Grant

BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 12, 2003
Joe, I just came across this place Accessory Finder, you may want to look here

Barb,
I am resurrecting this thread, because I have a problem. In your post #86, you provided a link to the following website: < http://www.accessoryfinder.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category =tpddc> I have subsequently placed an order with them for a tripod and some other accessories. I placed the order almost a week ago. I got a confirming Email on Monday that my order had been received, and they provided an Order ID number. Status of the order was shown as "processing." Everything looked OK.
Since then, I have checked their website daily to check status of my order. The status has not changed. A couple days ago, I sent them an Email requesting status. No response. Last night, I sent a second Email. Still no response. Today I called their Customer Support number. Somebody who sounded like a kid answered. I was promised an immediate call-back with status. Several hours later, no call. Do you…or does anybody else…know anything about this company? Are they legitimate? I’m going to call my credit card company and find out if they have charged anything to my card. I’m just about to cancel the charge and the order.
Bert
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Dec 12, 2003
Bert,

Sounds like you had better call your credit card company now. I have never dealt with that company, I had found them on Google. Hope you get things straightened out fast, I’m really sorry about your situation.

Barb
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 12, 2003
Barb, I’m going through my first problem with an online purchase (guess I should count my blessings). I bought a laser toner cartridge from a Yahoo-based store, and it arrived damaged. Called, faxed, and e-mailed their customer service numbers for return authorization; no response. Looks like I’m out about $140 unless my credit card company intervenes (I called them to put the charge ‘in dispute’)…

🙁

Chuck
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Dec 12, 2003
Chuck,

Was it damaged by the shipper? If that’s the case, the shipper has the responsibility, but it’s a hassle to straighten out. I usually don’t order something online unless I ask everyone I know first about their reputation. Hope you get your problem resolved soon also.

Barb
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 12, 2003
Barb, in this case, the box arrived without a scratch. It was inside, underneath all the foam and plastic bags that the damage occurred. Looks like it was broken by the person doing the packing at the factory…
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Dec 12, 2003
Chuck, oh well, guess you’re doing what you can at this point. Wonder if some of these other places are selling factory seconds or assembly line rejects? I’m finding, it’s often best to order directly through the factory that makes the product, I did that with my printer. I figured if I had any problems, Epson would stand behind it completely.

Barb
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 13, 2003
Bert and all–Can you take a tripod in a carryon these days? I had a lot of trouble last summer with a folding music stand, and that’s not nearly as suitable as a blunt object as a tripod would be.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 13, 2003
Barb

I have not been able to carry a tripod on Air Canada, WestJet or American. I have purchased a carrying case from Manfrotto for it. While it is not to expensive it does protect my tripod in the hold.

g.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 15, 2003
For some reason I missed the last few posts about inability to carry tripods in carry-on luggage. That had never occurred to me! A tripod as a weapon? Give me a break!

I have a caveat for anyone who picked up Barb’s link in an earlier post to the AccessoryFinder.com website. My experience with them has been very bad. I ordered a Bogen-Manfrotto tripod and some other stuff from them over a week ago. They acknowledged the order by Email…and then nothing. The order status still shows "processing". I have tried to contact them many times via Email and phone. Zip. Today, I tried to call them…gave up and Emailed them and canceled the order.
B&H seems to have all the same merchandise, and they are a very reputable outfit. I would advise everyone to stay away from AccessoryFinder.com
Bert
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Dec 15, 2003
Bert, I’m still sorry I posted that link and put you through all that trouble. Joe and I were just looking for an adaptor for our off-set tripod mounts for our digicams and I had Googled for one and came up with that lousy company. Yes, B&H Photo is a very reputable dealer; I purchased my digicam through them.

Barb
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 16, 2003
A tripod as a weapon? Give me a break!

Well, a music stand as a weapon? Talk about plowshares into swords! 😉
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 16, 2003
Barb,
I wasn’t blaming you at all…sorry if I gave that impression. There are so many outfits out there trying to sell stuff on the Web. The only way you can find out if they’re legit is to try them.
Thank YOU for trying to help!
Bert
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 16, 2003
Barbara, I know that I, for one, am going to duck when you start swinging that harp around!!

🙂

Chuck
MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 16, 2003
When buying online you can usually rely on reselleratings.com for reliable information on the company. For photographic equipment, B and H is as good as it gets although I’ve bought a few digicams through other outfits without any trouble. B and H doesn’t always compete that well with digicam prices, but the peace of mind may be worth the extra $$$. If I had to return something I would be more secure with B and H. Some smaller companies are just as good. You just need to do your research. dpreview.com is a good source for info on reputable outfits. I tend to take small risks with digicams. So far so good. Your (almost all, you can ask) credit card company will protect you with outright online fraud but I don’t know if they’re good about return problems.

Sorry about your problems Bert, but your cc should have you protected, especially if you cancel the order.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 16, 2003
You know, if we can keep this thread going for another week, you all will find out what tripod Santa gets me for Christmas. 😉 My luck I won’t get a tripod at all. He’ll (she’ll) bring me a lump of coal, underwear or socks.

BTW Bert, sorry about your experience with that online store. When Barb posted the link I thought it was kind of weird as it looked almost identical (layout-wise) to B & H.

Joe
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Dec 16, 2003
Bert, I just felt bad about your ordeal, I didn’t think you were blaming me at all. I’m leery of most places on the Web, you really have no idea who you’re dealing with, I’ve found it’s best to ask around here first.
B
Barry
Dec 16, 2003
Check out the Velbon Ultra Maxi. Folds down to 13 inches and is about 2 lbs (will fit in carry on). I just got mine in. Ordered it from Aaxes.com . Price was very good (there were cheaper but they sounded like a good company). Ordered it on Sunday, they shipped it on Monday…no problems. Check it out.

Barry

wrote in message
For some reason I missed the last few posts about inability to carry
tripods in carry-on luggage. That had never occurred to me! A tripod as a weapon? Give me a break!
I have a caveat for anyone who picked up Barb’s link in an earlier post to
the AccessoryFinder.com website. My experience with them has been very bad. I ordered a Bogen-Manfrotto tripod and some other stuff from them over a week ago. They acknowledged the order by Email…and then nothing. The order status still shows "processing". I have tried to contact them many times via Email and phone. Zip. Today, I tried to call them…gave up and Emailed them and canceled the order.
B&H seems to have all the same merchandise, and they are a very reputable
outfit. I would advise everyone to stay away from AccessoryFinder.com
Bert
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 16, 2003
Joe and Barb,
That was the funny thing…it looked almost identical to B&H. In fact the price on the tripod I want (Bogen-Manfrotto 728B) is identical. I think the website is copied from B&H, almost word for word.
Meanwhile…and here’s the worst part…I went to B&H and checked to see if they had the same tripod…they did. I cancelled the other order, went back to B&H…and it was out of stock! Somebody must have bought the last one they had in the few minutes I was gone. So, I’m on their "notify" list when they get more stock in. Sigh.
Bert
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 16, 2003
Bert, my experience with B&H on back orders has been very good; they replenish stock quickly and notify you very promptly. That happened with my 10D; it came back into stock so fast that I had to scramble to get the money to pay for it!

Chuck
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 16, 2003
Thanks, Chuck. Hope you’re right. Actually, I’m not in that big a rush, anyway. Hell, I’ve lived without a tripod for the last few years…another week or two shouldn’t matter.
Bert
SK
Shan_Ko
Dec 17, 2003
Bert,

I don’t know wether this will help to tie you over until you get a good tripot. But if you have a spare length of those light duty chains for ceiling hung lighting fixtures, attached it to a 1/4"x20 bolt threaded into the tripot socket at the base of the camera. The lenghth has to be long enough to step on. Pull the camera up tight to eye level and have yourself a make-shift brace to steady your handheld shots. Wouldn’t do for exposures longer than 1/25 sec., and difficult with vertical shots (the chain may scratch the base plate).

Another emergency bracing I tried with some success was to use a piece mono filament, tied to a 1/4×20 bolt, threaded into the tripot socket. Loop the other free end down and around my belt, pull up and twist it around the hand to a suitable height and take the picture. Holding the camera steady at eye level with the left, I find it easier to wind the filament tight with the righthand and then move to the shutter button . You don’t have to step on the chain on the ground. Definitely a big plus for taking pictures around farms with horses and cattle. 🙂

For my purpose, the old way of using the camera carrying strap as an arm sling, similar to a rifle "shooting sling", is not quite as good. The nylon camera strap stretches easily and loosens the tightness you need. Of course none of the above would work if you need to take long time exposures or pano shots.

Shan
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 17, 2003
Shan,
Thanks for the suggestions. You are very inventive! I’m going to try some of those techniques in Africa next year.
I got some very good shots in Africa this year, but about 1 in 4 was a throwaway due to camera shake. I probably won’t have time to set up a tripod most of the time, but your suggestions are wonderful! I think they will improve my "batting average" significantly.
Thanks again!
Bert
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 25, 2003
I bet you’re all just dying to find out if I got a tripod from Santa. It probably kept you up last night just wondering. 😉 <drum roll> YES! Santa was good to me and one of the things he left last night was a Slick U212Deluxe < http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006I5SI/qid =1072385528//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl23/002-7732450-8431262?v=g lance&s=photo&n=507846> tripod. Yay!

Unfortunatly, I haven’t had any time to play with it as I spent most of the morning putting together my boys’ overly complicated Fisher & Price train set and now I’m at work. Oh well, I’ll have plenty of time to play this weekend.

Hope everyone is having a very merry Christmas. Other than the work thing, I am.

JOe
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 25, 2003
Joe,
Well, I didn’t wait for Santa. I found the tripod I wanted…Bogen-Manfrotto 728B. Waited one day too long. B&H is now out of stock on that item. I found it at Porter’s Camera, but it’s $13 more. I can wait…
Bert
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 25, 2003
Bert,

That one was on my list too, but it didn’t meet my >$100 criteria. Looks like an awful nice tripod. I’m sure you’ll like it.

Joe
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 25, 2003
Joe,
It’s $113 at B&H. There were lots of others I liked, but I need one that fits in my photo-gear carryon bag, and it has to have a folded dimension of <21 inches.
Bert
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 26, 2003
I’m glad there are some more people able to shoot from a tripod. Probably there will be more quality images around since Christmas 2003!

Signed:
The High Priest of the Tripod.
SR
Schraven_Robert
Dec 26, 2003
Santa must have been reading this thread as I got one too. It’s the 3011 BN Bogen with a three way pan head. 🙂

Robert
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 26, 2003
Problably Santa has little imagination left for people who seem to have almost everything? 😉

Leen
AT
Andrew_Turek
Dec 26, 2003
Anyone get a tripod and would have preferred sex?

Or vice versa?

Andrew
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 26, 2003
Robert,
The 3011…or 3021 which is the same thing except for color…was the tripod I would have liked to get…with the 3030 head, but it won’t fit in my equipment bag, dammit.
Maybe when I am rich, I will buy one of those too. 🙂
Bert
EDIT: Which head did you get?
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 26, 2003

Andrew,
What a transparent attempt to change the subject!
What’s wrong with having both?
🙂
bert
SR
Schraven_Robert
Dec 26, 2003
Bert,

It’s indeed too big to fit in an equipment bag and quite heavy too. I understand it should have its own bag or a strap so you can carry it on your back like a back pack.

I understand why you like it as the quality is convincing. The three way pan head is the bogen 3030.
I understand it is the most popular model Bogen/manfretto has on sale.

It is definitely an improvement in comparison to my previous one. That was one my dad bought back in the 60’s which was a light weight model of make nothing. It couldn’t have weighed more than 500 grams. All that one did was hold the camera more or less in position. A breeze could displace it as the legs would lead a life on their own.

Robert
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 26, 2003
Robert,
I was ready to buy it, and then I though…well, I better measure my equipment bag to make sure it fits. The 728B has four-section legs instead of 3 on the 3011, so it folds smaller, although I am sure it is not as strong or stable. That’s a compromise I have decided to make to be able to take it with me into the field.
Bert
SK
Shan_Ko
Dec 26, 2003
Robert,

Re: Your #144
I have a different take on the use of a lightweight tripot. For a planned shot with lengthy periods spent in fine tuning of composition, camera height and angle of shot, or waiting for suitable lighting conditions, there is none better than a heavy tripot. There are other times when all it’s needed is a short bracing to support a heavy camera/lens combo, the light weight, or even a monopot, really helps. I had made use of a 2 LB. baby Linhof for medium format with good success. It closes down to 19 1/2" and, without using any of the 15" sliding center post, opens up to 43 1/2". Perfect for me in waist level viewing. A friend of mine went with a monopot for his Pentax 6×7 to save his shoulder and back, and had steady shots down to 1/25 sec.

Over the years, I came to own three different types pf tripots. Bought one at a time as the need arose. Besides the bigger and the light weight, I also found good use for a tabletop mini. My favorite is the one with a sliding section tightened with a locking ring and a small ballhead, and collpases into less than 6". That one is great in interiors where "no feet" are allowed such as some museums and churches.

[NOTE TO BERT:- If you can find one of these extendable tabletop minis, you may not need to go with my previous make-shift methods. I’ll admit that those sometimes draw a lot of stares. :)]

Shan
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 26, 2003
Shan,
I looked at some of those tabletop models, but I will be out walking in the field, and I am over 6 feet tall. I wanted the B-M 3011 that Robert got because it extends to over 72 inches. The 728B extends to 68 or 69. Of course, that’s with the center post extended fully, which I probably will not normally do. But at least, I won’t break my back! 🙂
bert
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 26, 2003
About carrying a tripod.

Whenever I have time I like to walk around in the countryside with my camera and tripod. As I don’t like hurting my shoulder I often have my equipment in a rucksack with exception of my camera. My tripod (Manfrotto 055B/Bogen 3011) is usually attached -horizontaly- with straps under my rucksack. This way I hardly notice I’m carrying a 2+ kg tripod.
A friend of mine, a professional nature photographer uses the same tripod and attaches it vertically to the side of his backpack.

Leen
SR
Schraven_Robert
Dec 26, 2003
Leen,

One thing at the time please. 🙂
You just convinced us all that a tripod is a photographer’s must and now you are talking us into a rucksack for the camera that allows for the tripod to be carried horizontally. 🙂

I’ll look into it though, as I have to find an easy way of carrying this tripod. The old one was so light weight that you hardly noticed it carrying it around, that is not the case with this one.

Robert
SK
Shan_Ko
Dec 27, 2003
Bert,

(THE USE OF A MINI AS A "CHESTPOT")
I should have explained the use of a tabletop tripot in some detail. The mini is not used in the regular way unless you are indoor and had something suitable to bear it on. My method is to use it like a "chest-pot" and it’s set up this way. With the extented version like I have, the camera is supported on the mini with its ballhead turned nearly sideways. Do not tightened yet. The three recessed little legs are spreaded out and braced on the chest at a suitable height to allow the camera viewfinder at eye level. When comfortable, the ballhead is then toghtened at a suitable angle.

I should note that the upper body is to bent backward just a little so as to get a more relaxed shooting position. The camera on its carrying strap around the neck all the time. The mini can be left attached to the camera when you walk around. The single tube length mini is not as good for resting on the chest due insufficient height.

Shan
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 27, 2003
Robert, there is an easy way to discover the 3011 isn’t heavy. Borrow the Manfrotto 058, carry it around for a few hours and you will never notice the weight of a 3011 any more.

About one thing at a time: your fault! You should have asked the tripod to Sinterklaas and the rucksack to Santa Claus. I cannot be held responsible for your bad timing!
😉

Leen
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 27, 2003
Shan,
You must be a contortionist! How do you take pictures with a tripod on your chest? <grin> bert
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 27, 2003
Shan,

I’m having a hard time visualizing your chest-pot Shan ;)…but I am certain the forest dwellers peek out from their hiding places to watch the show when they sense you are around! I wouldn’t like to be in mountain lion country flat on my back though (as is the situation here).

Nancy
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 27, 2003
I’m having a hard time visualizing your chest-pot

Nancy,
I have a chest-pot that I carry around all the time…well, maybe it’s a little below my chest…:) Bert
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 27, 2003
Bert,

LOL
—-

My husband was talking about mistletoe belt-buckles this year…my bad
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 27, 2003
WHOOEE!!! 🙂
After reading THAT, I was helpless for a few minutes…
Bert
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 27, 2003
shh…

you’ll wake up the neighbors…then they’ll come over and I’ll have to slink out the backdoor
SK
Shan_Ko
Dec 27, 2003
Bert,

"…How do you take pictures with a tripod on your chest?…"

Well, with some difficulty. And it takes practice to do it right. In the interest of getting a steadier platform, I would go to some length bending backwards to reduce camera shake! 😉

Seriouly though, I don’t stay in that position when I walk around scouting for a good vantage point. It is only when all is settled and ready to shoot that I assumed the stance. It will never do if you are setting up waiting for a sunset shot. 🙂 I also take advantage of objects are nearby and can be used as base support for the mini. The tops and sides of trees, fence posts, walls and columns and church pews or any firm objects are good to use. The mini is braced against the vertical surface and the flipout/tiltable LCD panel, like the one on my Canon G2 (and I suppose all Gx models and others), is oriented to my eye for the shot. The LCD can be flipped side ways facing up to serve as a waist level viewfinder too. Pulling the strap down from the neck while pushing the camera against one’s body will give good support. But the down pull have to strong enough to take up the stretch in the nylon strap.

For really dark interiors like those found in old churches and cathedrals where flash is not allowed, I had even turned the LCD to face front and push the camera against the forward facing walls and colums, composed and then took the shot. This arrangement has the merit that I can raise the camera height to shoot above a crowd blocking my eye level view. With the lens stopped down for depth, the exposure must have been quite long. Still I had little camera shake in the pictures.

Shan
SK
Shan_Ko
Dec 27, 2003
Nancy,

Years ago I tried to work a contraption made out of sections of 1/8" thick x 3/4" wide aluminum flat stock I bought from home improvemnt stores. Sections, from 6" to 12" in 2" increments, were cut with all ends rounded and drilled. The pieces lap-jointed together through 1/4" wing bolts/nuts. One the the ends was twisted and bend 90 degrees to support the 35mm camera secured with 1/4"x20x 1/2" long thumb bolt through a couple of washers (one spring).

The contraption was assembled to the correct angle and height for eye level shooting position and the joints tightened with the wing bolts. The camera is raised to eye level and the open end tuck firmly under the armpit. At the end of shooting session, the articulated thinggy can be demounted by loosening the wing nuts. I was getting good results with this contraption which was more comfortable than the mini chest-pot. But the downside was that I always got stopped and asked what the contraption was and how it worked. Very time consuming with explanations and demonstrations, and I didn’t much care for strangers handling my camera gear. The thiggy must have been lost in one of the several house movings. It would have been an interesting landmark in my personal photo journey as a weapon to tilt the wind mill of the shakes. 🙂

Shan
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 27, 2003
Shan,
You are very inventive! I have so many pictures from my travels inside buildings…especially cathedrals…handheld and blurry, worthless.
I have learned to use walls, fenceposts, etc. as steadying aids, but sometimes there is just nothing available where I want to shoot. I’m hoping that the tripod I want to buy will be small and light enough to take along on some of my walking forays. If it’s too heavy or bulky, it will be a nuisance and will be left at home after a few bad experiences. I enjoy travel and I like to take travel pics, but I won’t let photography become a burden, reducing the fun of the trip.
Bert
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 27, 2003
Shan,

Do you regularly use a tripod? Like for most shots? I haven’t noticed effects of camera shake in my images, they seem to always be sharp, but I have never shot at night, nor probably in very low light. So I’m questioning whether it is for these two conditions that the tripod is a necessity.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 27, 2003
Nancy,
I find that I have to throw away quite a few of my photos because they aren’t sharp…either due to incorrect focus or shaky hands or a moving subject.
The percentage varies, depending on the situation, but low light, which forces the camera to use longer shutter times is a main cause.
Autofocus doesn’t always work perfectly…especially if you have prominent foreground and background objects. I have had this problem with every autofocus camera I have used. Sometimes, if I know the subject(s) are at some distance, I turn it off and set the manual focus at infinity. It also speeds reaction time.
Bert
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 27, 2003
I really notice the difference with a tripod – and I am good at holding a camera steady at long shutter speeds (I regularly get usable results hand held at 1.15 or even 1/8 – mainly I think because the flip out screen alows me to hold the camera braced against my chest, looking down on the screen, one hand underneath the camera the other operating the shutter) . For small prints it dosn’t make much difference – but as soon as I start cropping or blowing up to large prints the softening is there.

Susan S.
SK
Shan_Ko
Dec 27, 2003
Nancy,

In my travels in younger days, when I used to carry in my bag two camera bodies (a third mechancial back up body left in hotel or room safe), several lenses and a small flash, and I used to carry a light weight tripot or at least a monopot. The mini was always along in the bag or already mounted on the camera body with the slower film, for "back-benders". All that plus slide and negative canisters called of a medium-size bag a must.

In conducted tours, the tripot usually got left in the hotel. There simple was never enough time to use a tripot rushing from place to place. My photo ops were the periods upon first arrival of a new point of interest when the local guide would spent 10-20 minutes explaining the background. Thereafter all hell broke loose and the decent of locusts upon the better vantage points became like Running of the Bulls. The worst offenders I found were the video gear folk. Some of them took up real estate as if shooting a full length feature film! Some just took their shots and hung around blocking the view.

You are realy fortunate to have steady hands for a camera platform. In addition to low light, I still feel the use of a tripot may come in handy on other occasions. If you don’t have one already, try to borrow a good sturdy tripot and try it out for a few shooting sessions. Being able to move around to alternative points without the heavy stuff around your neck will put you in a different perspective in seeing. In my humble opinion, having the camera on a tripot allows a more contemplative approach, minimizes fatigue and encourages more thoughtful planning for the shot.

Shan
SK
Shan_Ko
Dec 28, 2003
Susan,

A really long time ago, a pro taught me about the myth of my supposedly steady hand. He got me to enlarge parts of a 120 negative which I thought was pretty sharp. It was handheld at the maximum 1/300 sec. of my folder. It was a good lesson that I always remember.

Years later, I had a couple of ASA100 E6 slides of a temple altar that had mood lighting and looked sharp under the loupe. Had them made into the expensive Cibachrome direct prints. At 8×10 size the image began to loosen up. What a disappointmnent! But then I was on a business trip and suddenly found myself free on a Sunday afternoon, and I had a tiny Minox in my shirt pocket. Several months later I went back. This time had a real camera and a monopot with a ballhead. The light changed and the shot was no longer there.

Shan
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 28, 2003
Shan Ko, it is like I hear myself talking:

"In my humble opinion, having the camera on a tripot allows a more contemplative approach, minimizes fatigue and encourages more thoughtful planning for the shot."

Next to the fact that working from a tripod is probably the only way to have really pin sharp shots, this is the main reason why I never leave home without a tripod. I cover all environemental shots in my weddings from a tripod and no landscape picture has been made without this wonderful item. It lives in my car!

Leen
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 28, 2003
Shan,

Thanks for taking the time to write your post, a good read. You have a delightful writting style…I am always deeply amused by your wit.

Nancy
AT
Andrew_Turek
Dec 28, 2003
Simultaneously?
AT
Andrew_Turek
Dec 28, 2003
Andrew,
What a transparent attempt to change the subject!
What’s wrong with having both?

Simultaneously?
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 28, 2003
Simultaneously?

Hmmmm. My imagination is working overtime, but the pictures are all X-rated. 🙂
Bert
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 28, 2003
Someone else may have to use that backdoor…
AT
Andrew_Turek
Dec 28, 2003
If I may clean up the discussion, which is not my usual role, how do you quote from a previous post and get the words quoted in a different (smaller) font, please?

Andrew.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 28, 2003
Andrew.

I expect that you can cut and paste but you can’t be sure that the size will be small. I for one only allow text onto my news reader. All that fancy text is lost on me so it is best to separate the quote from the original with bullets or things like that.

Grant
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 28, 2003
Andrew,

Just place a ">" in front of the text you want to quote.

Joe
MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 28, 2003
Just place a ">" in front of the text you want to quote.

Oh, I’ve been wondering about that as well.
J
jhjl1
Dec 28, 2003
If you use OE you might try this freeware.
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
If I may clean up the discussion, which is not my usual role, how do
you quote from a previous post and get the words quoted in a different (smaller) font, please?
Andrew.
SK
Shan_Ko
Dec 29, 2003
Nancy,

I am glad you have fun reading my ramblings. The pleasure is mine.

shan
SK
Shan_Ko
Dec 29, 2003
Leen,

Almost a life time ago, I had ambitions of becoming a serious photographer and served as apprentice/gofer to a pro on a part time basis. The bits and pieces picked up from the man still stay with me. It’s a pity that with the onset of old age and its attendant ailments, I can no longer practice doing things as I was taught, such as working with a sturdy tripot if I have to carry it.

There is a long standing joke I share with friends who enjoy taking pictures. If I won the lotto, I’ll hire two strong assistants. One to carry my aluminum case with the medium format gear and a bag for the accessories and film. The other to carry my Gitzo tripot and occasionally a 6’light-weight folding aluminum ladder. I used to have a camera mount (on a clamp) that could make good use of a ladder. In landscape pictures it’s good for tilting down from a higher vantage point to gain a little bit depth of field for the foreground since the Hasselblad does not have a front tilt as the Rollei 6006. Really wish I had not sold me 6×9 cm, baby Linhof for my first trip to Europe. That baby view camera could do most of everything. Even had a rotating 120 back for 8 shots, and a three-prong cam ground for three interchangeable lenses to couple with the optical viewfinder. Such was the foolishness of youth! 😉

From the images I saw, and admired, on your web site I figured they would have to be taken with the use of tripot. There was only one person who had fantantically sharp images from a hand-held camera and he was this selderly architect in my office. He had a motorized Hassel with a 135 mm micro mounted on a bellows rig with a short focusing rail, with an offset Getz hammer flash. The "ensemble" must have weighted a ton. Guy used to walk amoung bushes and trees looking for butterflies and insects. His 20"x24" prints were quite awsome. I could count the scales of his betterflies. Of course he never let on how many wasted negatives were thrown out for one truly sharp one. 🙂

Shan
AT
Andrew_Turek
Dec 29, 2003
Thank you, folks, and now I know. Chap I work with who has been reading over my shoulder says "simultaneously" is easy, you just turn the tripod upside down. But I think he’s just boasting.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 29, 2003
Just a quick update on my tripod-purchasing efforts. I had finally decided on a B-M 728B, and then when I tried to place the order with B&H, it was out of stock! That was two or three weeks ago. Well, I put it on my Wish List, and requested a notification when they got them back in stock. Today, I got the Email, and placed the order this morning. Hooray!
Bert
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 29, 2003
Bert, that’s great! B&H is very good about notifying customers when an item returns to stock.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 29, 2003
Chuck,
I ordered it, and now it shows out-of-stock again, but they accepted my order, so I must have got the only one they had.
Bert
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 29, 2003
Bert, there was probably a backlog of customers who had ordered that tripod and once they all responded, they were out again.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 30, 2003
Lets just hope that my order slipped in before they ran out again. The order still shows "processing" so they haven’t shipped yet… Bert

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections