CR
Posted By
Colin_Robinson
Jun 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In PS7 or CS, in a tiff image or layer, how can I make all whites transparent? And so see through to lower layers.
Col

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 4, 2004
This can depend on what your image is like. Line art? Photo?

Also, what is the final output?

One way is to double-click on the layer to get Layer Styles/Advanced Blending and pull the Blend If Gray slider to the left. Hold down Option to "fine tune" the selection. <Make a new transparent layer and merge with it.

If you are pre-OS X there are plugins like Eliminate White. Don’t know if there are any such for OS X.
J
jonf
Jun 4, 2004
Do a forum search. This has been covered a number of times with several different solutions. The correct solution will depend on your original image.

If your layers are b/w, for instance, all you need to do is set the layer transparency mode to "darker" or "multiply."

If you have clean edges with white backgrounds you can select with the magic wand and make the selected area into an area mask.

If there are vector shapes you can make a vector mask out of them.

And so on. depends on your situation.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jun 4, 2004
If you are pre-OS X there are plugins like Eliminate White. Don’t know if there are any such for OS X.

Peel Off White

<http://www.bergdesign.com/plugins/>
CR
Colin_Robinson
Jun 6, 2004
Thanks folks. I’ll try some of your suggestions.
Most of my stuff starts life as photos and I output to Epson 2000P. In collage work, I often want to ‘see through’ whites. I’ve had difficulty getting clean edges with magic wand selections.
Installing OSX tomorrow as it happens!!
Col
<http://colinrobinson.com>
R
ruty
Jul 29, 2004
I download the plug-in. How do I use the peal white?
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Jul 30, 2004
We used to have wonderfully simple plugin "Eliminate white", but is doesn’t work in OSX.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections