K
Posted By
kparker170
Sep 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to accomplish a gradient transparency where the bottom of a picture is opaque and the top fades to tranaparent (just like the transparency effect on the adobe tutorial). Unfortunately, the tutorial never explains how they created the gradient transparency mask. I can’t seem to figure it out. Please help me, it would be a great effect for me to use for a long time to come.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
Use the lasso tool with feather radius set high. The amount depends on how much resolution you are using. (ie. 300 ppi may have good results with 50 px or more. 72 ppi would not have good results past 20 px. – best to stay below 20 px.) When you have made your selection, press delete or fill with your background color.

For cleaner edge, use the rectangular marquee tool with feather radius turned on.

ZIP

PS> If the image you want to edit has bleeds then you will either have to expand canvas size or expand your selection before pressing delete or filling BG color. This will ensure your feathering stays true to the bleed.
DM
Don McCahill
Sep 25, 2003
I think I remember that tutorial. It is a mask that has a solid bottom and transparent top with a linear gradient.

To make such a mask, you create a mask, create the mask (should be black) and then use the gradient tool to apply a gradient that will be solid white to solid black. Use the gradient tool for this, just dragging the tool from the top of the mask to the bottom (or vice versa). This will give you the mask you want.
JG
Joel Goodman
Sep 26, 2003
Has anyone compared RGB – CMYK conversion results between Corel PhotoPaint/Draw and Photoshop?
EG
Eco Gatdula
Sep 26, 2003

1. Select the layer you want to have a gradient mask.
2. Add layer mask by clicking the second from left icon in the layer palette.
3. Press "D" on your keyboard.
4. Select gradient tool. Make sure the you select foreground to background on the option bar.
5. Apply the gradient on the layer mask.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections