Posted By
dubaibilly
Dec 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

Can anyone tell me, is it possible to save a 32 bit targa file with an alpha channel in elements? I know I can save 32 bit targa but I don’t know if it has an alpha channel – I want to make custom objects with a transparent background to import into APCD for use in Microsoft Links 2003.

Thanks in advance

Billy

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RL
Richard_Lynch
Dec 3, 2003
Yes, you can. All you have to do is save a selection in the image before saving the Targa; saved selections are alphas. Apparently these are either exported or interpreted automatically in the proper Targa format (e.g., Alpha 1), no matter what name you choose when you save the selection.

Testing suggests this fails if you try to save more than one alpha with the file; be sure to save only one.

That help?

Richard Lynch
KS
katie_schumack
Aug 3, 2006
The CMYK should go all go together as long as you don’t have just one channel selected. The alpha channel won’t, but you can copy and paste the alpha channel to a new layer in the first document, drag and drop all the layers together into your new document, load the selection by cmd. clicking the layer thumbnail, and save as a new alpha channel.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 3, 2006
Or just drag the Alpha into the new document holding down Shift. It will appear in the Channels palette.

IF that is what’s wanted.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 3, 2006
The new CS2 non-layer selection behavior is what has changed – broken a few features.
CB
christine_brueck
Aug 4, 2006
thanks everyone.
Katie, your suggestions seem to be the closest to what I need.

Here are the specifics.
I have several images of jewelry with drop shadows and an alpha channel that masks the jewelry from the drop shadow. My client would like me to layout all the images on one document. Easy nuff. But he also wants me to save the alpha channels (that masks the jewelry from the shadow) as one channel to indicate the spot varnish. He also wants me to have one layer with all the shadows on it. I don’t exactly see the point since the alpha channel will keep the shadow from being varnished. But this is how he NEEDS to have it.

This is so hard to explain w/o showing you what I’m talking about. But THANKS everyone for trying to help out!
T
Tommo
Nov 5, 2006
Creating an alpha channel is really only for sharp edged selections? What do you do with the channel after you created it? Is it just to save a selection? Then what? Open it again and use the magic wand to get a selection?
What are you actually supposed to do with an alpha channel once you make it? It seems you can’t do much. I thought it was supposed to act like a mask but it doesn’t seem to do anything.
Thanks
JS
John_Slate
Nov 5, 2006
an alpha channel has 256 levels of gray like any other channel in an 8bit file.

their use in Photoshop is more or less as you surmise, as a way to keep saved selections.

also they may be used by other applications (such a QuarkXpress) as a way to mask.
T
Tommo
Nov 6, 2006
Thanks,
so if I had an alpha channel in photoshop, I can do one of two things?:
1. Use the magic wand to reselect a simple unfeathered selection (make changes to selection etc.)?
2. Send the alpha channel with a file which allows QuarkXpress to mask off an area ? (do they have to do much to use it as a mask?
Thanks
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Nov 6, 2006
You can do a lot more than two things. You don’t need to use the Magic Wand to select from a Channel – just use Selection > Load Selection.
T
Tommo
Nov 6, 2006
Ok, I see how it retains the nuances of black, gray, white, masking. Thanks ! How is an alpha channel used in Quark?
If I sent a file to a publisher or something with an alpha channel as a mask, how does that publisher utelize it in Quark?
Thank
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Nov 6, 2006
Channels are saved selections. They are incredibly useful in many instances and can be widely manipulated. If you can find a copy of Photoshop Channel Chops it would be well worth your while to buy it and read it. The book is old but most of it is still relevant today. It can give you a good idea of just what Photoshop is all about.

< http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Channel-Chops-David-Biedny/d p/1562057235>
GS
Graham_Scales
Nov 6, 2006
if you need to soften the edges, gaussian blur the mask to whatever degree you require in your adjustment layers

this can be used for both comping and colour correction
RB
Robert_Barnett
Nov 6, 2006
Also, some of the filters like the lighting filter will let you use an alpha channel. This can do some nice beveling effects. You aren’t limited to hard edged masks.

Robert

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections