Posted By
matt_mccambridge
Dec 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
Does anyone know if it is possible to change the black channel in a B&W bitmap to a specified colour?

I would still like the white areas to be naturally transparent in Illustrator, once placed.

Cheers,

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 3, 2003
Matt,

Switch to RGB, convert to Layer 0, use magic wand to select black. Use edit>fill to change color. Invert Selection and delete white. Now save as a file type that illustrator can handle. PSD, EPS or Tif ought to work.

A bitmap can only be black and white and does not support transparency, so you have to convert it to get what you want.

Rich
MM
matt_mccambridge
Dec 4, 2003
Thanx Rich,
I thought that was the case. The reason that I would’ve preferred to remain as a bitmap is to keep the file size low & that a placed bitmap in Illustrator naturally knocks out the white areas to be transparent.

So, to have the white background remain transparent for a placed RGB image, I’ll have to include a transparency in the form of a .psd?

Does a .tif support transparency?

Is there anyway to further reduce the file size of the image (all that white space seems to be a waste), besides LZW compression?

Cheers,
RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 5, 2003
Tif does support transparency. Not sure of the answer to your second question. There are other image types that support transparency, like gif, and ping, but I don’t know if those will work in Illustrator.

Rich
EW
Ed_Wurster
Dec 5, 2003
wrote…
Hi,
Does anyone know if it is possible to change the black channel in a B&W
bitmap to a specified colour?
I would still like the white areas to be naturally transparent in
Illustrator, once placed.

Hi Matt.

I made a bitmap file in PSE, drew a line, and copied the entire image. I switched to AI and pasted this. It is a black line with transparent background, and I can see objects whoich I draw and place behind it.

Is this what you want to do?

Ed
RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 5, 2003
Ed,

I think he wanted the bitmap to have a color other than black.

Rich
EW
Ed_Wurster
Dec 5, 2003
wrote…
Ed,

I think he wanted the bitmap to have a color other than black.
Rich

I was able to select my transparent bitmap and change the color of the black pixels to ssomething else.

Ed
MM
matt_mccambridge
Dec 7, 2003
Ed,
was your bitmap an actual 1 channel or something else like RGB/CMYK etc.

If it is a single channel bitmap, I would love to know how you changed the black to another colour!

Cheers guys,

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections