MD
Posted By
Mollie_Dash
Jun 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Photoshop 6 in Classic Environment, using a G4 Powerbook. It only recognizes the fonts in the OS9 System folder, not the additional fonts in the OSX library. Also, I brought new font suitcases into the OS9 System Folder. OSX Applications recognize these fonts, but not OS9 Applications. I tried restarting the computer in OS9 and dragging the folders to the OS9 library. Still Photoshop does not recognize these fonts. How can I bring new fonts and fonts that exist on OSX into Photoshop?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MD
Mark_Douma
Jun 12, 2004
What you’re experiencing is normal.

While fonts in the Classic /System Folder/Fonts/ folder are automatically made available for the native OS X environment, the reverse isn’t true.

Also keep in mind that the Classic Environment will have the same limitations on fonts that OS 9 always had. That means no organizing by subfolders like you can in OS X.

It also means that only the font formats that worked in OS 9 will work in Classic. So, most likely Windows TrueType fonts will be out, unless your application makes use of Apple Type Services for Unicode Imaging (ATSUI), which Adobe applications don’t. (As long as the app used ATSUI, and the Windows TrueType font had a file type of ‘sfnt’, they could be used all the way back to OS 8.5: ttfinOS9.gif <http://homepage.mac.com/mdouma46/ttfinOS9.gif>.)

It also means that OS X Datafork TrueType fonts will be out too, since OS 9 can’t use them as is. If you want to use those under OS 9, you can convert them with my dfontifier <http://homepage.mac.com/mdouma46/> application.

If you add fonts to the Classic System Folder while Classic is running, you’ll need to restart it before the fonts will be available.

Hope this helps….
B
Buko
Jun 12, 2004
FontAgent Pro 2.1
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 12, 2004
Exactly!

FAP can make all of the fonts in its database available to programs which run in OSX as well as to those that run in Classic.

You should also install ATM Light (for font smoothing) in your Classic System folder.
MD
Mark_Douma
Jun 12, 2004
Funny, I tried the latest version of FAP and found no word or mention of activation being available for the Classic Environment. I know that older versions did, but saw no option in 2.x.

The users manual, sure enough, showed a picture of the interface that showed the option, but the text didn’t say one word about it.

Being a Cocoa app, I opened the Preferences .nib file in Interface Builder, and sure enough, there were 2 window instances, one named "preferences", and the other called "old_preferences" or something to that effect. The option to deal with Classic fonts was removed from the instance that’s currently used, or that was used on my system at least.

The limitation of file format is still valid regardless if you use a font manager or not.
R
Ram
Jun 13, 2004
FAP 2.1 was the first one to offer font support in Classic, despite what the user guide said in earlier versions. I had contacted Tech Support and they politely wrote back that this functionality would be available in FAP 2.1 for the first time. It is. 🙂
DH
Dee Holmes
Jun 13, 2004
I downloaded the trial version of FAP. Do you still have to restart Quark and Classic to activate new fonts turned on in the full version of FAP?
R
Ram
Jun 13, 2004
Dee,

I haven’t checked that, but I strongly suspect so. I can’t run QuarkXPress on my machine in Classic right now to find out because I have the QuarkXPress Passport version which requires a hardware dongle to run. The dongle is ADB and is attached to my old Frankenmac which boots only into straight, native 9.2.2. Therefore, I’m running QuarkXPress Passport only in native 9.2.2 using ATM Deluxe to manage fonts on that machine. The new machine doesn’t have an ADB port.

Quark wants $25 to exchange the ADB dongle for a USB one, but since I’ve moved to InDesign 2.0.1, I’m only using QuarkXP to re-save Passport docs as run of the mill QuarkXP files, which I can then edit in InDesign, I’ll save the money. For some reason, InDesign will not accept Passport files.
B
Buko
Jun 13, 2004
InDesign will not accept Passport files.

ID will not accept Quark Passport files with more than one language
R
Ram
Jun 13, 2004
Buko,

Right. That’s why I have to re-save them as if they were unilingual documents. Mind you, nothing changes when I do that, just the darn little check box. Absolutely nothing is altered in the text or in the layout.

What are you doing up so early (late)? I just woke up.
MD
Mark_Douma
Jun 14, 2004
I guess the version I tried must have been before version 2.1, which apparently brought back Classic management.

FAP is certainly the app I’d go with though. Either that or possibly Alsoft’s MasterJuggler. I tried Font Reserve once, and it was in the trash in less than 10 minutes. (That double grow box window-size adjustment thing is ridiculous.) I generally try to avoid using Carbon apps whenever I can.

That said, you might want to weigh the benefits of a font manager against the cost of upgrading Photoshop. Depending on your particular situation, it may make make more sense to invest the money that way. At least in this particular situation, it would eliminate the underlying cause for which FAP was a suggested fix.

Hope this helps….
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 14, 2004
Upgrade Photoshop of course but don’t think, for one moment, that efficient font-management is a luxury that you can forgo.
B
Buko
Jun 14, 2004
What are you doing up so early (late)?

I just got back from a show and I was downloading my pics I had just taken.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 14, 2004
Just catching-up on the day’s international news and the postings in these forums.

(It was "late" actually!)
R
Ram
Jun 14, 2004
Ann,

I think Buko was replying to my earlier inquiry. 🙂
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 14, 2004
Oh well …… it applied to both of us anyway!
R
Ram
Jun 14, 2004
Not quite, I think. Buko and I were up at around 3:00 am our time. He was just getting home, I was up for the day already, about one hour earlier than usual. Your post was at 9:00 pm Pacific Time, midnight in your neck of the woods.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 14, 2004
Yes, you are right — but as I actually went to bed at 3:50 a.m. Eastern, I assumed that I had possibly posted at some outlandish hour.
R
Ram
Jun 15, 2004
A true night person, then. I used to be like that in the good old days. 😀

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections