Posted By
DJWilliams
Jun 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I am running Photoshop CS 8.0 and Mac OS X.3.4.

I was given a .psd file with lots of layers and type. I don’t usually work with layers, so I’m starting from scratch here.

All I need to do is edit some of the type. I can go to the Layers pallet and command-click the text layer, but I can not figure out how to edit the type!

I’m sure it’s easy, but the manual seems to go out of its way to avoid explaining how to work with text.

What do I do?

Thanks!

– Donny

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Jun 24, 2004
"I can go to the Layers pallet and command-click the text layer, but I can not figure out how to edit the type!"

When you Command + Click on the words in a text layer in the Layers Palette Photoshop will make a selection around the pixels that represent the letter. This selection is not surrounding actual text when you do this; the selection is only surrounding pixels that look like text.

Do this:

Find the Text Layer you want to edit in the Layers Palette.

Double Click on the "T" icon in that Text Layer. No matter if you have another tool selected, double-clicking on the "T" icon will highlight all of the text on the layer you selected and you’ll notice in the Tool Bar that your Text Tool is now selected.

Now that you have this text highlighted, tap your left and right arrow keys. Watch what happens.

Now hold down the SHIFT key down and tap the arrow keys. Hold the COMMAND key down and tap the arrows. Hold both of them down and tap the left and right arrow keys.

Is that enough to get you going?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections