TV
Posted By
T_Venet
Dec 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
According to US Dept of State passport renewal form DS-82, one needs submit two recent identical photos with light plain background. The schematic on the form shows what’s wanted is apparently a 2" x 2" square photo. I broke out my Digital camera and took a photo of the person renewing their passport, uploaded it to Adobe PhotoShop Album (because for some reason I’ve yet to fathom I can’t seem to directly upload it to Elements 2.0) and then elected to fix the image in Elements 2.0. When I told Elements 2.0 I wanted to print the image, I indicated I’d be interested in the 20 2" x 2" sheet. I am surprised to learn the images are not actually as advertised, i.e. they are exactly 2" across but approx 1.75" tall. I really don’t need twenty of these; just two with the dimensions that State Dept is asking for on its renewal form. Is there some way that I can get past this!?

BTW — I’m really new at all this.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 8, 2003
TV: I was going to suggest that it must be a great picture if you wanted 20 of them, but…I’ll stop being flippant and see if I can help.

When you open the picture in Elements, you need to go into Image>Resize>Image Size and check the pixel dimensions; the width and length need to be equal to create a 2 inch by 2 inch picture. Probably the easiest way to do that is:

1. Pick the Crop tool from the toolbox and set the dimensions to 2 inches by 2 inches at a resolution of 250 ppi.
2. Click on your picture and drag out a cropping box to include as much of the picture as you want; it’ll be square, because you set 2 by 2 in the width and height.
3. When you have it the way you want it, click on the check mark on the Crop tool toolbar above; it’ll crop, and now you have a 2 inch picture at 250 ppi.
4. Click on another tool, like the Move tool, then go to File>New and open a new canvas with the dimensions 8 inches by 10 inches with a resolution of 250 ppi.
5. With the Move tool chosen, go back to your original picture, click and hold the mouse and drag it onto the empty canvas you just created. You should now have one copy of the picture on your canvas.
6. Do 5 again and now you’ll have two pictures on your canvas. Move them around so they’re not on top of each other.
7. Print the new canvas with the two pictures on it.

See if that works for you; please let us know if you need more details!

Chuck

wrote in message
According to US Dept of State passport renewal form DS-82, one needs
submit two recent identical photos with light plain background. The schematic on the form shows what’s wanted is apparently a 2" x 2" square photo. I broke out my Digital camera and took a photo of the person renewing their passport, uploaded it to Adobe PhotoShop Album (because for some reason I’ve yet to fathom I can’t seem to directly upload it to Elements
2.0) and then elected to fix the image in Elements 2.0. When I told Elements
2.0 I wanted to print the image, I indicated I’d be interested in the 20 2" x 2" sheet. I am surprised to learn the images are not actually as advertised, i.e. they are exactly 2" across but approx 1.75" tall. I really don’t need twenty of these; just two with the dimensions that State Dept is asking for on its renewal form. Is there some way that I can get past this!?
BTW — I’m really new at all this.
TV
T_Venet
Dec 8, 2003
Hi Chuck!

Hate to have to go on with more woe is me but when I click on the ‘move tool’, and pick 8×10", the only resolution i can have is 300 ppi (as opposed to 250 per your recipe’s). That said, when I move the cropped image onto the new canvas, I seem to not have one to move onto it again (which is indicated in your step 6’s instructions regarding step 5).

TV
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 8, 2003
TV,

You need to create the new image before using the move tool. Although 300ppi will come up in the 8×10 choice on new image, you should be able to delete the 300 and change it to 250. It is a changeable field.

When you have the 8×10 created then use the move tool and drag the 2×2 image onto it as Chuck already posted.

Dick
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 8, 2003
TV: I could have made it easier for you by having you create those original crops at 2 inches by 2 inches by 300 ppi; try that and you should get the 2 inch by 2 inch you’re seeking. With respect to the Move tool not making a copy…..hmmmm, don’t know why that’s happening. As an alternative, click on the small picture, do a Select>All, then Edit>Copy. Then come over to the blank 8×10 canvas, click on it, then do an Edit>Paste – twice. You should have two copies of the picture to move around.

Chuck
TV
T_Venet
Dec 8, 2003
Hi guys:

Looks as thought we have a winner! Chuck’s cropping concepts inspired me to try out moving the frame (for lack of a better way of expressing it) left and right which resulted in eight pairs of 2x2s from which my travelling relation can choose.

Thanks, you’re terrific 🙂

TV
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 8, 2003
TV – glad it worked for you! Bon voyage!!

Chuck
JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 8, 2003
I don’t use the picture package feature very often because it usually doesn’t fit my needs. What I would do for this particular project is simply create a new 4×6 document and drag two copies of the passport photo onto that document and then print it on a single sheet of 4×6 photo paper. Then, all you have to do is trim your two photos. It’s simple, it’s clean, and it works for me.
TV
T_Venet
Dec 8, 2003
Glad this only happens once every ten years!

A bien tot.

TV

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections