Posted By
Barbara_Butts
Dec 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi All,

Some of the files I saved previously to PE and tried to save recently indicate that they are being saved to PE, but when I try to view them, they won’t open. They’re saying they are incompatible to PE. I don’t understand how that can happen when PE saved them originally. Completely stumped here.

Thanks for any help.

Barb

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 11, 2003
Took ya long enough to get this on! 🙂

A trick I’ve used is to download a freebie or shareware program – something like Irfanview (I think that’s it – if it’s not somebody will correct my spelling!) Those little apps often open things Elements or PS thinks are corrupt. Once you get them open, convert them to another format and then try again in Elements. Yes, it’s convoluted, but it’s better than not being able to access your images!

By the way, what format are the image files in that Elements won’t open? I should have asked that first.
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 11, 2003
Hi Beth,

Yeah, it probably took me long enough to answer too, huh? 😉 We’re newly retired, so enjoying the Sr. bowling leagues, galavanting around, etc., etc. 🙂

Just a few days ago, I deleted Irfanview because PE seemed to be everything I need. I guess I’ll have to download it again. I really liked it, but every once in awhile, I get messages that my memory is dangerously low, so I started scouting around for anything I didn’t really need.

When I click on properties, type of file, says "file". It has an icon that looks like an application icon. Not sure that will be much help.

Thanks for your help :),

Barbara
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 11, 2003
Hmmm. That’s not much help, is it? I hope someone else shows up with a different/better idea!
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 11, 2003
Hi Beth,

Thanks. I’m working on this problem. One of the photos I was having a problem with I copied from a website. I got a reply from her and she gave me her website again. Now I’m waiting to hear if she put a rick click (there it is again) taboo on it. I wish I knew more about this stuff. I was able to copy and paste it into a word document, but the photo saves (again) into a document that I can’t open. Will let you know what I find out.

Barbara
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 14, 2003
If anyone has the same problem I did when trying to save photos from websites, etc., in XP, I finally figured it out. When you save it, after the file name, type in .bmp. Then select save file as .bmp. My only other option is "art". After it’s saved, tell it to open in PE. Works like a charm. (Then I save it to a .jpg file.)

Someone told me to type .jpg after the file name, but that didn’t work for me. It may for others.

Thanks to all for the help. 🙂

Barbara
R
rocket-sauce
Dec 15, 2003
In IrfanView, go to Options/Properties (or click the red "P" on the toolbar) and then the Misc. 1 tab, put a tick in the "Ask to rename if incorrect extension" option. This way, you can open an image file that has a missing or wrong extension and IrfanView will "figure out" what the correct extension is and ask you if you want to rename it.

Rob
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 15, 2003
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info. Beth suggested I use Irfanview also, so I’ll download it again. That should help open my saved files.

Barbara

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections