Posted By
Ray
Dec 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/kodak8500.html

Does this really produce great results ? Simple curiosity since I really don’t think I could justify a 1000 U$ printer… 🙂

Ray

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 13, 2003
I’ve read about this one too, Ray. It looks like a heck of a printer, but considering the consumables costs, I wonder…..

It looks like you have to replace the ribbon every time you open a new pack of paper.

Have you figured out your cost/print with the printer you now use?

Dick
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 13, 2003
It does kind of make me wonder that it’s been out so long but I never hear of anyone using one.
R
Ray
Dec 13, 2003
Several months ago (12 or so), for my HP 940Cvr, the cost was about 1.05 for a 4×6 (genuine printer ink and paper). Since then, paper have become a little less expensive, and HP offers combo printer cartridges (black + tri-color) at a slightly discounted price (85$ + tax). Paper is also offered in
a bigger package at a lesser price. I haven’t redone my calculations, but I’d estimate 90 cents now.

But this is only a hobby, so cost isn’t really problem. I mean I don’t print that much (10 pictures
per month, average).

Ray
P.S. Prices in CND dollar.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 13, 2003
Ray, I don’t know about in Canada, but in the US there is a company called MAC Papers (nothing to do the computers, alas) that is the wholesaler for HP papers. You can get pretty good prices from them and they will sell a box or two at at time–you don’t have to buy by the case. I’d find out who your local wholesaler is.

I always used to buy paper for everything from the wholesalers when I lived in the city. Now I have to decide if it’s worth driving 110 miles each way to save, and the answer is usually no.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 13, 2003
Ray

You do now want to see the images this printer is capable of or you will be poorer. Check out what a GOOD photo lab to see what they charge you for good 8×10 photograph. I think we are talking about $8 -$12 Canadian and the price will double or triple if you have to get them to do anything like cropping dodging or burning. I would suspect after the first 100 prints you will have broken even. But then unless you are doing weddings when was the last time you printed 100 8×10. In any event that’s the quality that is the price range. Now how is that for rationalization.

g.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 13, 2003
I like it 😉
R
Ray
Dec 13, 2003
Grant… I think I should put this printer on my "once I become a millionaire wish list" 😉

LL Lozeau here prints digital picture of an excellent quality (in fact, their whole process is digital, even for film) at about 6$ for an 8×10. I do print them myself, but only if they’re intended to be hung on my own wall. When I do work for someone else, I explicitely specify that I will not print it, and that additional cost will be envolved (if I do this for money, which is rare). Most of the times, I simply supply the TIFF files on a CD and point them to the nearest photo lab.

I was never able to calibrate my system since I switched for an LCD monitor. I asked for a Spyder monitor calibration tool for x-mas. Let’s see if Santa thinks I’ve been a good boy this year 🙂 But Santa is digitally impaired 😉

Ray
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 13, 2003
My best guess is that you’ll get a better quality print from the Epson 2200, with more paper size variety. I’ve been tempted by both these dye subs and the Color lasers, but how can I print 3×5’s, 4 x 6’s, 5×7’s , etc, one at a time ? Waste paper, I suspect is the answer to that question. My dream printer would be much like the Epson 1280, with free ink ( archival on ALL papers ), no possibility of head clogging, and very fast . The printer would be able to print on all size papers 18" wide and smaller, as well as directly on CD’s, DVD’s and floppy disks.

Dream on !

🙂

Brent
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 13, 2003
Brent, with exception of the free ink, your wish list convinces me you have been looking at the new Epson Stylus Pro 4000. Unfortunately paper for this printer is just only 16" wide.

Leen
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 13, 2003
" Brent, with exception of the free ink, your wish list convinces me you have been looking at the new Epson Stylus Pro 4000. Unfortunately paper for this printer is just only 16" wide. "

( Try to stay calm, now, Brent ) Whew !!!

Be still my heart, I’ll look into that , Leen , Thanks

🙂

Brent
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 13, 2003
My Epson printer is doing real good and so by the time i need a new printer…IMAGINE what Epson will have to offer ! ( she rubbs her hands in a devilshly insane manner )
RB
Ralph_Brannon
Dec 14, 2003
I use the Kodak 8500 as one of my two printers for my Old West Photo’s. It does an excellent job. Cost is $1.60 per page.
When you buy a box of paper, it has 2 packs of 50 sheets. The ribbons are boxed 2 ribbons to a box. Each ribbon is for 50 sheets. You buy EITHER a Matte ribbon, or a Glossy Ribbon.
I really don’t like the look of the Matte as well as the Glossy, but that’s my taste. The printer never misses. One of the good points IS the fact that 1 ribbon is 50 sheets, it doesn’t matter if you print a dot, or a full 8×10 it comes out egual, no guessing, put in a pack of paper, a ribbon, and the paper’s gone, so is the ribbon.
You have to be careful on the paper size however. An 8 1/2 x 11 paper will NOT print an 8 x 10. You need the 8 1/2 x 12.
The reason I got this printer was because I needed speed, an inkjet was way to slow for my business, and the reliabilty, no clogged ink jets, one ink running out,etc that the ink jets do.
HOWEVER>>>>>>>>>>
For my personal printer, I prefer the Epson 2200, it is very good, and actually has better shadow detail. But it is too slow for my Old West photos, and even though they say water resistant and no fade, it is not the same as the Kodak dye-sub.

Ralph
<http://www.darkstar.us>
R
Ray
Dec 14, 2003
Thanks Ralph! Pretty interesting! But since I’m not running a business, I might remove this from my wish list.

Ray

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections