JW
Posted By
Jon_Woodford
Dec 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hopefully some one might be able to help as I am a tad stumped with a problem of dark prints from CS3 on an Epson 2880.

Macbook Pro with 10.4 Tiger
I have a calibrated monitor
CS3 setup with American Prepress colour settings
Raw picture imported into CS3 with Adobe RGB profile

So I edit the picture as required and then open the print window where I tell photoshop to manage the colours and select the correct ICC profile for my printer and paper. I then go to the Epson print driver and select the correct media type and turn off colour management.

The picture that is printed is 1 to 2 stops darker than what is should be.

Now the strange thing is if I use the Epson Print Plug-in the picture that it displays is generally dark like the print output.

If I didn’t know better I would say that another ICC profile is being applied to the picture as it moves either to the print driver or to the Epson Plug-in.

If I check the picture in CS3 with proofing then I get a small colour change as expected but not the dark print that comes out.

Any suggestions much appreciated as this is doing my head in.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Dec 19, 2008
Please do a forum search. There are already at least two other threads on the subject of dark prints.

Here are examples:

Eric Chan, "PS3 prints fine, PS4 prints too dark, same Mac" #12, 12 Dec 2008 6:07 am </webx?14/11>

Eric Chan, "Printer Dialog Box in CS4 – Printing Grayscale Images" #26, 4 Dec 2008 8:57 pm </webx?14/25>
D
DYP
Dec 19, 2008
I would suggest you go here.

<http://homepage.mac.com/billatkinson/FileSharing2.html>

And download the profile test images. You can then compare them to what you images look like on the screen and compare to your printed images. That will give you a good idea where to start in making proper color management decisions.

If your monitor is to bright this will certainly show it.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections