Posted By
bongoman
Jul 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there

Can’t draw a 1px wide vector line with the line tool in Photoshop.

The tool settings are for 1px, layer shape, no style but I get a 2px wide line! Admittedly the second pixel of width is not 100% opaque but I want a 1px line!

What am I missing?

Any clues appreciated.

Bongoman

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Jul 3, 2004
If your line—which is defined by a vector path—is perfectly straight, and perfectly horizontal or vertical AND has been snapped to pixel-based tick marks in the document, then you should see clean, lines with no aliasing. Because the borders defining your 1 pixel line (which is actually just a long thing rectangle) are vector paths they can be positioned in increments finer than 1 pixel. The fill for that long thin box is raster-based, and can only be defined by where the imaginary 1-pixel grid is laid down in your document. If your vector path is not snapped to the pixel grid increments, Photoshop HAS to create aliasing to give the illusion that the line is snapped to the pixel grid.

If that vector line deviates from the x or y axes, or has any curve to it, or is NOT snapped to the set-in-stone pixel tick marks in the document, then you will see antialiasing come into play, as evidenced by the gray pixels surrounding that crisp-edged line you’re looking for.

Zoom in really tight and experiment with different placements of a 1 pixel "line", and you’ll see what I’m talking about.
P
Phosphor
Jul 7, 2004
I hate trotting out good info for people who don’t return or don’t acknowledge.

Stoopid Bongoman.

Stoopid Flanders.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 7, 2004
Ungrateful Bongoman.

Add him to your list of "Those Who Shall Remain Unhelped" ?
P
progress
Jul 7, 2004
thats a bit rough guys…he could be lying terminally ill in hospital after having been speared by a shard of frozen urine dropped from an airliner…you never know.
GP
Graham_Phillips
Jul 7, 2004
speared by a shard of frozen urine dropped from an airliner

And what was it that you smoked today?
B
bongoman
Jul 7, 2004
Ummmm…me again, sheepishly re-entering the forum.

No such dramatic explanations I’m afraid!

I’m very sorry that I did not reply to Phosphor’s informative response to my initial question. I was aware that Phosphor had replied as I subscribed to the thread and the notification email has been sitting there for days prompting me to get back here and check the response.

These forums are the last place I want to generate ill-will and I will be a little more careful in future about posting and not tracking the thread more closely.

And Phosphor, thanks for taking the time to post an informative response. It’s just what I was after and my failure to follow-up certainly did not mean you were wasting your time.

Many thanks

Bongoman
P
progress
Jul 7, 2004
see…:P

could have been abducted by aliens…or conscripted in the womens auxilary balloon corp…but no, just busy 😉
P
Phosphor
Jul 8, 2004
Cool…Glad you made it back.

I hope my explanation cleared it up. It’s kind of difficult to explain.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections