NC
Posted By
Nick_Cherry
Jul 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way I can use a gradient for transparency? For example, if I did a basic gradient from forecolor (black) to backcolor (white) could I set it up so that black = 100% opacity and white = 0% opacity?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 5, 2004
Yes. Use the gradient on a Layer Mask.
NC
Nick_Cherry
Jul 5, 2004
Forgive my ignorance, but how exactly would I go about doing that? I’m not very familiar with masks.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 5, 2004
At the bottom of the Layers Palette there is a little icon of a broken-line circle. Click on it and it will add a Layer Mask to the current layer (you can also go to Layer>Add Layer Mask. You will see a new thumbnail thing in the palette next to the image thumbnail. This is a Layer Mask, which is also a kind of channel. You can use it to mask out areas of the image on the layer.Black will mask to transparency; white will reveal to opacity.

PLEASE look up Layer Mask in your manual or Help and do a search for tutorials on Layer Masks on the internet. You need to know hoew to use this feature.
M
merge
Jul 5, 2004
Color + transparency is one of the many options you can choose when you are using the gradient tool (G) – look in the upper left in the tool bar options.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 5, 2004
Hmm. I was assuming from the question that Nick wanted to use the gradient to make an image fade to transparency. Was I wrong?
BG
barry_gray
Jul 5, 2004
He’ll want to use foreground to trans. on a mask as well, if he needs more than one gradient.
I.e. fade from right , left and bottom.
NC
Nick_Cherry
Jul 5, 2004
Thank you. I have achieved my goal and you have been very helpful.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections