DS
Posted By
Derryl_Singley
Jul 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Since I upgraded to OS X 10.3.4 (1.12 gb ram), periodically Photoshop CS will not save work (save or save as) and gives an error of "can not save file because of a disk error."

This problem is very annoying and can cause vauluable short-term work to be lost, even though I save frequently. I have only gotten this with Photoshop – no other program under OS X.

I multitask quite often and I am beginning to suspect a conflict with the modem or an online program running at the same time. (isn’t OS X supposed to avoid these conflicts?)

The only sure solution is to shut down everything and re-boot the computer. If I only shut down Photoshop (and everything else still is running), the file can not be saved when the file (or any PS file) is opened.

Although I seldom use Classic anymore, Photoshop will still not print until Classic is turned off. It just hangs until Classic is not running.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GB
g_ballard
Jul 6, 2004
Your install sounds flaky and may try adding

disk error cox

to your search here

troubleshoot maintenance

may also help get you on track
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jul 7, 2004
Verify scratch disk settings, available hard drive space, and PS RAM (try 65% or less) allocation.
SB
Stan_Bowman
Jul 20, 2004
I have encountered the same problem in Photoshop CS (as well as in 7) on my G5 dual, 2Gb ram, OS 10.3.3. So has my wife on her G4 I MAC, so I do not think it is the G5. More than likely it is an OS 10 issue. What I do is save to another hard drive (a 2nd drive on the G5 or across the network to another hard drive on another computer. Has anyone else had this problem? I also cannot restore the ability to save in Photoshop unless I re-boot the G5. Any ideas would be welcome.
Stan
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
I would upgrade to Mac OS 10.3.4 as a start.

Then check all of your internal and external connections.

Try repairing the Disk (boot from the Mac OS CD to that). And did you Repair Permissions both before AND after you installed Photoshop?

Also, run DiskWarrior and Cocktail.

Saving across a network is asking for trouble.
R
Ram
Jul 20, 2004
Try Repairing Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility) BEFORE and AFTER any system upgrade as well as BEFORE and AFTER installing any software that uses an installer.

I know it sounds like OS X voodoo, and it is; but it fixes and prevents a bunch of problems.

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.
DS
Derryl_Singley
Jul 20, 2004
I opened a scratch disk on another partition for both PS and Illustrator and this seems to have stopped the problem. I also try not to have a modem connection going at the same time. The modem does all kinds of freaky things to other running programs.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
You would get much better performance if you could install a second internal HD and use that for your Scratch disk: a separate partition on your main HD won’t help much because it is still using the same read/write heads.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections