LW
Posted By
LARRY_WAMPLER
Dec 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a powerbook g4 with photoshop elements 2.0. When setting up to print with page setup, print, and print preview I cannot get the printed image to center, despite checking the center box. The printer an epson 2200 produces great pics however, on portrait the bottom margin is larger and landscape the right margin is larger! What’s up?? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Larry Wampler

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

KW
Kyle_White
Dec 16, 2003
Good Morning Larry,

I bumped my nose on the same problem on my Epson C80. From what I can gather PSE2 centers in the printable area, rather than on the paper.

The printable area for the C80 has margins of:
Top: 0.12 in
Left: 0.12 in
Right: 0.12 in
Bottom: 0.55 in

It’s that pesky bottom margin that’s throwing things off. There’s over half an inch that the printer can’t print on. You have to set things up by hand to get things centered, meaning you can’t quite get a real 8 x 10 only 8 x 9.90, on the C80. Of course the portrait bottom becomes the landscape right on rotation.

HTH

Kyle

Edit: that’s 8 x 9.90 Centered. The total space is 8.26 x 10.33 in.

K
JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 16, 2003
Get a paper cutter. 🙂
R
Redmondite
Dec 16, 2003
My HP DJ970 has the same large unprintable area at the bottom. It’s possible, with a little math, to truely center an image as long as it’s no larger than the total printable area.

By the way, when I print two smaller images on a single sheet (two passes through the printer) I feed the paper through backwards the second time so that the unprintable bottom becomes the printable top area. It usually requires that one of the images be rotated before printing but at least things come out even.

Does anyone know how much unprintable area there is at the bottom of the page when using one of the newer photo printers that can print edge to edge? I doubt they can print top to bottom as well.

wrote in message
I have a powerbook g4 with photoshop elements 2.0. When setting up to
print with page setup, print, and print preview I cannot get the printed image to center, despite checking the center box. The printer an epson 2200 produces great pics however, on portrait the bottom margin is larger and landscape the right margin is larger! What’s up?? Suggestions?
Thanks,
Larry Wampler
MP
Marshall_Ponzi
Dec 16, 2003
On the Epson 2200, does it help if you check "Borderless" printing? On my Epson 925, that option enables print area on the whole page.
KW
Kyle_White
Dec 16, 2003
Hi Jim!

Actually, I use an old trick that my Mom used to use at the newspaper, when it really was "Cut" and "Paste"! A piece of glass, a steel ruler, and a sharp knife. Because, unless it is a really good paper cutter, with a hold down clamp to keep the paper from shifting, I never seem to get the paper lined up exactly the way I want it and have it stay that way while I’m cutting.

Sadly, until I spend some bucks to catch up with you guys, the C80 doesn’t do borderless printing. (Maybe next Christmas….Birthday?)

Kyle (who’s "ept" is "in") 😉
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 16, 2003
In the Epson driver "Paper" tab there is a "centered" box. Checking that may help some, but for paper feed reasons, generally printers have an unprintable area at the bottom. "Borderless" is not usually a good solution, since, to get borderless the image is "fudged" a little at the extremes. Papercutter is my personal solution .

🙂

Brent

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections