B
Posted By
Bobby77501
Aug 18, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m looking for recommendations for a film scanner OR a scanner that can scan both prints and film. The reason I’d like to look at film scanners is that the resulting resolution would be much better than with a print scanner. Thanks……..

Bobby

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
Jazzman
Aug 19, 2003
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:49:02 -0400, "Bobby77501" wrote :

I’m looking for recommendations for a film scanner OR a scanner that can scan both prints and film. The reason I’d like to look at film scanners is that the resulting resolution would be much better than with a print scanner. Thanks……..

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

I use a Epson Perfection 2400 Photo, and I’m very surprised by its high quality. For both prints and films (positive and negative). And tt’s fast !
Good luck …

Jazzman (France)
SS
Steve Simpson
Aug 19, 2003
I use a Epson Perfection 2400 Photo, and I’m very surprised by its high quality. For both prints and films (positive and negative). And tt’s fast !

Same here!

Great scanner and cheap as dirt.

$160 from www.newegg.com

Huge upgrade for me from 8+ year old HP Scanjet II c.
N
nomail
Aug 19, 2003
Bobby77501 wrote:

It’s not so much the resolution that makes a film scanner superior, it’s the Dmax. Flatbed scanners do not have a high enough Dmax to scan high contrast films. Especially slide films do not come out that great if you use a flat bed scanner with transparenct module. If you will only scan color negatives, you may get satisfactury results with a flatbed scanner, but if you want to scan slides, go for a dedicated film scanner.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
B
Bobby77501
Aug 21, 2003
Do you have any specific recommendations for a dedicated film scanner? The rating for the dual purpose Epson Perfection 3200 seems quite good – so, now, I’m confused. I want the best I can afford and $500 is OK for a dedicated film scanner – but now I don’t know what to do – and have no way to compare dedicated versus dual purpose. Thanks………

Bobby

"nospam" wrote in message
I will have agree with Johan. If you are very critical and want the best flatbeds for film scanning isn’t the best way to go. However, if you are
on
a budget and don’t want extreme quality scans because you plan to print
them
on a desktop printer or because you simply don’t have the desk space for
two
scanners or you have need for both flatbed scanning and film scanner a moderate priced flatbed with film scanning capabilities is a great way to go. Right now I think Epson has the best. You do need to however plan to spend at least $500 to get a good new one. If you don’t mind last years model you can get one a little cheaper. But, make sure that when the
scanner
was the latest model it sold for at least $500. With scanners you very
much
get what you pay for. A $50 scanner just doesn’t cut in because of
hardware
quality and software quality (not that you can get one that does film at that price.).

Robert

B
Bobby77501
Aug 21, 2003
Do you know where I can get ratings for various film scanners? Thanks again………..

Bobby

"nospam" wrote in message
I will have agree with Johan. If you are very critical and want the best flatbeds for film scanning isn’t the best way to go. However, if you are
on
a budget and don’t want extreme quality scans because you plan to print
them
on a desktop printer or because you simply don’t have the desk space for
two
scanners or you have need for both flatbed scanning and film scanner a moderate priced flatbed with film scanning capabilities is a great way to go. Right now I think Epson has the best. You do need to however plan to spend at least $500 to get a good new one. If you don’t mind last years model you can get one a little cheaper. But, make sure that when the
scanner
was the latest model it sold for at least $500. With scanners you very
much
get what you pay for. A $50 scanner just doesn’t cut in because of
hardware
quality and software quality (not that you can get one that does film at that price.).

Robert

H
Hecate
Aug 21, 2003
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:35:30 -0400, "Bobby77501" wrote:

Do you have any specific recommendations for a dedicated film scanner? The rating for the dual purpose Epson Perfection 3200 seems quite good – so, now, I’m confused. I want the best I can afford and $500 is OK for a dedicated film scanner – but now I don’t know what to do – and have no way to compare dedicated versus dual purpose. Thanks………
At that price look at Minolta or the Polaroid ones.

Hecate
(Fried computers a specialty)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections