SF
Posted By
Scott_Falkner
Jan 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m researching a new scanner purchase to replace a busted Epson Expression 1640 XL. A similar workstation has an Epson Expression 10000 XL

What we want:
* Good D-range. We’ll be scanning pictures from various sources, often crappy C-prints from cheap point-and-shoot cameras or even inkjet prints of digital images (I know!). We’d like to be able to preserve as much dynamic range as we can.

* >24 bit. Again, to preserve dynamic range and give us as much original data to work with as possible.

* Calibration. The Epsons come with Lasersoft Silverfast AI. Not bad, but a shabby interface that’s long overdue or a fix. Buggy, too. I’ve experienced bugs with every version, and there seems to be little incentive to fix them. Still, it’s better than any manufacturer’s software.

* Not Hewlett-Packard. Man, do their scanner suck, and the software is the rock-bottom worst scanning software I have ever used.

* Windows XP compatible (dammit), and Photoshop plug-in compatible.

* Batch scanning. The Epsons have a 12×18 scanning bed and, with Silverfast, I can preview and scan 8 4×6 photos in one batch. Nice, and a must-have feature.

* Firewire, preferably. USB 2 otherwise.

* Transparency adapter would be a nice plus, but I have that with the 10K, so not a huge deal.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections