Older G4 /w Monitor & CS Upgrade…System Requirements?

C
Posted By
CraigA
Jul 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have OS-X.3 Panther on a partition and I’m ready to upgrade to CS from PS 5.5. I checked the system requirements and it looks like I’m ok except for my monitor & video card. I am wondering about my graphic card. I have an ATY, 128Pro /w 16MB VRAM, (For the 17in. Studio Display CRT monitor) and it supports Millions of colors, but I have no idea if it is a 16bit or 8bit color card. The specs for CS say it requires a 16 bit video card. Apple’s system profiler doesn’t specify.

I have a G4-500sp AGP & 17in. Studio Display CRT monitor purchased in Feb of 2000. Am I going to have to upgrade my video card before I can use CS?

Any help is appreciated!!

Craig

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GP
Graham_Phillips
Jul 7, 2004
You actually have a 32-bit colour card, so there are no problems there. You can use CS.
BF
Bruce_Fraser
Jul 7, 2004
The minimum requirement is a 16-bit video card as in 16-bit = thousands of colors. Your video card should be fine
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 8, 2004
But you should add as much RAM as you can stuff inside your computer as Photoshop is a memory hog. Depending upon file sizes you typically use (including layers), you should probably consider at least 1GB RAM. And OS X eats up more of your memory resources than OS 9.

Neil
P
progress
Jul 8, 2004
dont bother past 2.5gb unless you want to work in other programs as well as PS…PS is limited by the OS to use only 2gb max.
R
Ram
Jul 8, 2004
Progress,

dont bother past 2.5gb unless …

I doubt that’s an issue in the case of a "G4-500sp AGP". 🙂
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jul 10, 2004
OS X graphics can be a slowdown with an older box/video card, but it sounds like you already have OS X running OK.
C
CraigA
Jul 13, 2004
Thank you all for the information.

Photoshop CS will be the first software addition I will be making to OS X & the bundled stuff it installed. Everything else I have is for OS 9x so I guess I’ll be switching between partitions alot.

At least now I can work with my new Nikon D70’s raw files without using the S-S-S-L-OOOOOOO-W-W-W Nikon capture software. Hope this is faster.

Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections