Posted By
ClockWerX
Dec 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello Everyone,

We create original gobelain designs. Because creating such designs manually it is very bad for the eyes. Therefore we are searching for a software solution. These are the steps involved in creating the gobelain design :

1. The artist paint his design on high quality paper.

2. The design on paper is scanned into the computer in full color and saved as an image on disk.

3. The saved image on disk is rasterized so the image contains the little squares needed to sew the gobelain. The color nuances of ALL squares must be adjusted to the colors of the yarns. This means that there are several nuances of a color present.

4. The rasterized image is printed onto a textile grid.

5. The artist sews the gobelain.

I have to tell you, steps two until four we do not carry out for the moment. We plan to do this in the near future.

Do you have any experience in creating gobelain designs with Adobe PhotoShop and can you tell us if this process can be accomplished with Adobe PhotoShop?

We will appreciate your advice very much and we thank you in advance.

We wish you a very nice day and all the best!

Sincerely Yours,

Chris
ClockWerX

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 20, 2003
I’ll bite.
What *is* a gobelain design?

Must be rather esoteric,since Google gives *no* hits at all.

Mac
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 20, 2003
May I guess? Glass globes with designs on them.

Google gave me an antique furniture site, and the pieces are beautiful. Next,,,,,,,,
Jane
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 20, 2003
except that the "artist sews the gobelain"

Perhaps a mesh type material with a pattern printed on it for needlework or something similar
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 20, 2003
I think Gobelin, as in tapestry.
C
ClockWerX
Dec 20, 2003
Hello All,

I read your messages with interest. A gobelain is made from yarns. You can compare it with a painting but then on a fine textile grid (or maze I do not know the correct word) but instead of paints we use yarns. The sewing itself from the gobelain is completely manual. Because of the many color nuances and the fine structure of the yarns, it is very time-consuming and expensive. When you buy, you pay around 0,80 USD (United State Dollars) for 1 square cm (centimeter). However the actual price depend on the complexity of the gobelain itself. A big gobelain (which can takes 4 to 6 months to finish) with many color nuances will gets far more expensive. A small gobelain (around 40 square cm) takes 3 to 4 days.

We do it as a hobby not professionally. We want to extend our gobelain activity (still hobby) to provide exclusive gobelain designs on demand of our audience. But to spare the eyes of the artist, we want use the computer to scan the design, rasterize it and print it onto the textile grid (or maze). Needles to say that this must be done very accuratelly. And when the gobelain is finished, it is a fine piece of artwork.

I hope with this explanation that I answered your questions about gobelain. And indeed Nancy S. is correct, type "gobelin" in Google and you have plenty of examples.

Thank you very much for your posts. Hopefully someone can tell us if Photoshop can be used for this rasterization and printing.

Have a very nice day and thank you in advance.

Friendly greetings,

Chris
ClockWerX
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 21, 2003
These are indeed beautiful! Yes, I would think that PSE could be a great help to you. I would love to see more of these, as I love your, (and all), flowers.
Thank you for introducing me to another lovely art form. Jane
PA
Patti_Anderson
Dec 21, 2003
Gobelain is a type of very fine needlepoint tapestry type uphostery. It’s French, I believe. A pattern would need to be done on a grid like as if you were creating a cross-stitch pattern.

Now someone else can answer *how* to accomplish that in PSE!

Patti
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 21, 2003
Was there a link I missed in this thread? Don’t get any useful help from Google.

Dick
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 21, 2003
In case you haven’t figured this out yet, there’s nothing in either Elements or Photoshop that does this automatically!

I’ve been thinking about this most of the day, and I don’t see how it could be accomplished. Yes, you could use a grid, but how in the world would you get anything as small as what would be needed? If I understand correctly, the yarn used is very fine, and in order to get the color gradations, each square of the grid would have to be extremely tiny.

Sir, could you give us a better idea of, for example, the number of squares that would have to fit into each square inch? If we knew that, someone might be able to experiment and see what it would take to create a grid the right size. What do the patterns look like now? How big is the pattern compared to the finished piece?

Bottom line, what you’re really asking for is the creation of something that is very pixelated – each pixel having a specific shade of color that goes toward making up the whole image. Right? Well, if the scanned image could be enlarged enough… But I don’t know how you’d go about adjusting the color, because a digital image relies on receiving color information from the scan you’re referring to. Do you really mean you adjust the colors in the pattern to the yarn? Or do you adjust the color of the yarn to the pattern?
R
RobertHJones
Dec 21, 2003
Chris,

While Photoshop (and Photoshop Elements) can certainly be used to prepare scanned artwork in preparation for making your pattern (especially useful for photographs rather than painted or drawn artwork), Photoshop is not the best software for your purpose.

I would recommend that you look into the specialty software packages made especially for creating stitchery patterns — There are many out there. These programs will not only import images and rasterize them for patterns but will match the colors to standard thread and yarn brands and prepare proper stitching patterns.

I did a quick search on google and a number showed up. You may want to look at this one as it can handle tapestry type patterns and supports a broad range of thread manufacturers http://www.stitchcraft.com.au/index.html

However, do look at other stitch software before deciding. I searched google using the keywords: cross stitch software. Many of these programs are applicable to any grid pattern technique.

Maybe one of our forum members that is familiar with stitchery programs can give you a recommendation.

Bob
C
ClockWerX
Dec 21, 2003
Hello Everyone,

Thank you all very much for your replies and your advice. It is really helpfull in making our decision.

I followed Bob’s advice and visit the Stitch Craft website. I downloaded the demo program and it seems very promising. However my friend which really create the gobelain designs will have the last word about this because she mainly has to work with it.

I do not know about the exact origin of gobelain but it is dated from the Middle Ages and reached its highest popularity during the Renaisance period. Gobelain is known as tapestry (sewed or woven). Gobelain can span a wide range of subjects, but the most I saw where religious inspired (I think it depends on the designer who create the gobelin). Most (great) gobelains are decorating a wall. During the centuries many painters refined gobelains (Peter Paul Rubens 1577, Francois Boucher 1703) techniques.

To answer detailled questions about gobelains, I will ask my friend. She can answer those questions better than I do. I will post this reply within a few days.

We both appreciate all your replies and advice very much. Despite the fact that our (hobby) activity falls outside the main PhotoShop user audience, you succeeded in give us a very good advice and put us in the correct direction. Therefore we conclude that you are very good in what you are doing.

Both my friend Ana and myself, thank you very much for the time spent on our problem. We wish you all a very nice Xmas and every success in the New Year.

Friendly greetings,

Chris
ClockWerX

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections