S
Posted By
shar
Jul 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I used to be able to Command click on the layer in the doc window to easily select it with the Selection tool. Now that doesnt work. When i try to select something it opens a layer set above the layer im trying to select. And the layer set it goes to isnt even visible! I tried checking Auto Select on the Options Palette, but it doesnt select a transparent layer or a type layer. Its just too time consuming to select the layer from the layer’s Palette. Is there something im not getting here? This is driving me crazy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ~s

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 13, 2004
Command-Control works for me, with Auto Select OFF.
S
shar
Jul 14, 2004
thanks for the suggestion ed, but when i click the image where i want to select the layer w/ the command and the control button, i still just get a huge list of the layers to choose from. the file im working on has over a hundred layers and some are duplicated many times, and many layers have the same name. i didnt make the file so its not useful to select from the big long list. im sure there HAS to be a way to easily select a layer!
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Jul 14, 2004
shar

Control-click works for me (easily tested by moving the layer). And the layer immediately under the cursor is listed immediately next to the cursor so no moving of the cursor up or down is necessary.

Of course — as always — anything with less than 50% opacity won’t be selected and instead the next layer down with more than 50% opacity will be selected instead.
M
monkey7
Aug 18, 2004
i’m experiencing the same problem. it’s not that the layers above the layer we’re trying to select are less than 50% opacity, they’re simply not visible.

for example… take an layered document you may have and create a new layer at the top and fill it with a solid color. then turn off visibility and try to command+click and layer underneath. the contextual menu isn’t and option when you have hundreds of layers. in PS7, it would ignore the hidden layers… with CS, it selects them.

photoshop has worked the other way for years and years and for some of us, this new selection method is horribly time consuming. please, please, please tell me there’s a way around this.
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Aug 18, 2004
monkey7… works as usual here (i.e. works for me). (10.3.5 + PSCS)
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 18, 2004
Ronald, that means that you DO NOT see hidden layers in the drop-down list?
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Aug 18, 2004
Command-click or Control-Option-Command-click takes me directly to the layer (assuming it’s above 50% opacity).

….that means that you DO NOT see hidden layers in the drop-down list?

Correct. Hidden layers do not appear in the contextual menu’s layer list, nor do layers with less than 50% opacity.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 18, 2004
I don’t get hidden layers in the list either. As far as I can tell this function works exactly as it always has in previous versions. Trashing prefs might be in order.
S
shar
Aug 18, 2004
ronald:

feel your pain! and im in a way sort of glad you are having a similar experience, because i thought i was the only one… BUT… this is so weird. the problem seems to be intermittent! at two different locations and on two different computers i had the selection problem, so ive been using pshop 7 because it was so annoying. i started a new project at home, and thought i’d give CS another try -and now, for whatever reason, i can select layers using command and no problem! i have no idea why, i didnt do anything different. maybe its a bug? does adobe know about this? perhaps it is a prefs problem? can you re-install? sorry i cant be more helpful. and thank you to all those who replied! ~s
M
monkey7
Aug 18, 2004
believe the problem is isolated to "shapes". regardless of opacity or whether it’s hidden, it always selects shapes first.

if a layer is hidden or less than 50% opacity, it still shows up in the contextual menu.

hopefully this will help you work around the problem. personally, i’ve just gone back to PS7. 🙁

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections