C
Posted By
Catherine
Jul 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What do the R, G, and B check boxes do in the Layer Set Properties dialog box? They do change the look of my image–but what exactly are they doing????

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 19, 2004
what do you think they do?

hint.

look at the channels as you change the check boxes.
C
Catherine
Jul 20, 2004
I don’t need sarcasm here, please–I can certainly see that my image disappears from each color channel as I click it–but that doesn’t really answer my question.
DK
Doug_Katz
Jul 20, 2004
Catherine, honestly, he’s not being sarcastic at all. He’s asking you to try to figure it out by looking… on the assumption that you can and will figure it out. In my case, he’s been right far more often than not… his questions make me look harder.
DK
Doug_Katz
Jul 20, 2004
I should also add that I NEVER noticed these options in the dialog until you mentioned them here!

Hey Mike! What do they do?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 20, 2004
like I know?

hmm..

and yes, Doug is right, it’s not meant to be sarcastic.

Think of it as a way to channel mask.

think!

play with the damn thing.

you tell me what it does.
M
merge
Jul 20, 2004
I don’t think the question is "what," but "why"?

I would have never discovered this little hidden "goodie" either except for this thread, but for the life of me I am not seeing any reasons why I would ever use this option. I guess I will just have to "play with the damn thing" a bit more…
C
Catherine
Jul 20, 2004
Okay–I do have an idea now–since it seems to actually "hide" the checked channel of the layer that is residing in the Layer Set, might it be used as a type of masking option? Hey Chris Cox–where are you when we need you?–and why is there NO information anywhere at all in the Photoshop documentation????
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 20, 2004
I use it to create editable color tinting effects.

I use it for key lining and object in the black channel.

I use it for complex illustrations whereas the need for "advanced blending" is required and I don’t need to use a layer mask.

It’s a production tool as well as an art tool.

It’s up to you to figure out what to do with it.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 21, 2004
They are for controlling channel specific blending (blend only R, blend R and B, etc.)

This should be in the manual.

(Catherine – you know, I _do_ have to sleep sometime!)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections