SF
Posted By
Stephanie_Fowler
Dec 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PSE 2.0 works just fine until Norton Disk Doctor runs and corrects errors. It finds over 100 errors similar to this one: The key “software\Microsoft\windows\current version\sharedDLLs” refers to a missing file “C:\program files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\TempCmap\Reqrd\Cmaps\78-EUC-H.”

If I allow Norton to ‘fix’ the problem, PSE will then not load. It gets stuck on the "Sorting Fonts" and will never open.

Anyone know what I should do to correct these problems?

Thanks!
Stephanie

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NS
Nancy_S
Dec 28, 2003
Stephanie,

Maybe you answered your own question "PSE works fine UNTIL Norton Disk Doctor…" I am a believer in "don’t fix if it ain’t broke".
JW
JP White
Dec 28, 2003
wrote:

PSE 2.0 works just fine until Norton Disk Doctor runs and corrects
errors. It finds over 100 errors similar to this one: The key “software\Microsoft\windows\current version\sharedDLLs” refers to a missing file “C:\program files\Common
Files\Adobe\Fonts\TempCmap\Reqrd\Cmaps\78-EUC-H.”
If I allow Norton to ‘fix’ the problem, PSE will then not load. It
gets stuck on the "Sorting Fonts" and will never open.
Anyone know what I should do to correct these problems?

Thanks! Stephanie

Norton Utilties were the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then Symantec bought Peter Norton out. Since then I have helped countless people with problems *caused* by Norton Utilties. No sooner than I rebuild a computer and getting it running smoothly, they reload Norton’s ‘suite’ and whamo, it’s screwed again. The AV program seems generally OK, the rest it trash IMHO

Take Norton off your system if I were you and sell it on eBay.

JP
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 28, 2003
I do agree with Nancy; however, if you’re running NDD to fix a specific problem then maybe there’s something else going on that’s effecting Elements instead of just Norton’s efforts to fix it. (I’ve only run a utility like that once in my life!)

Have you checked your fonts? When Elements hangs at that point that’s usually either because you have too many installed – 150 to 200 is the suggested maximum, or you have one or more that are corrupt. I suggest you see if either of these things apply.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 28, 2003
Beth,

I run Norton fairly frequently on the Mac and have had no problems with it .. maybe its a windows/norton issue.

Wendy
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 28, 2003
Stephanie,

Have you checked to see if indeed these reported "missing" files really aren’t on your computer? Or if they are in a different location than the referer indicates? In Version 1, I find that file in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\Reqrd\CMaps. The discrepancy is mine isn’t in a TempCmap folder, though I don’t quite know what to make of that.

Are you choosing to allow Norton to fix the reported problem by deleting the registry key?
SF
Stephanie_Fowler
Dec 28, 2003
Yes, Norton had been deleting the key and only then would PSE not start up. I wonder if I add that TempCMap folder if everything would be ok because that is the only part of the string that is missing.
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 28, 2003
Stephanie,

Do you have the mentioned file on your computer?
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 28, 2003
Or,

You could selectively allow Norton to "fix" problems, not have it change items associated with PSE. Or "Undo", one by one, the "fixes" it has made until PSE works correctly again.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 29, 2003
I run Norton fairly frequently on the Mac and have had no problems with it

Hmm. You know, Wendy, they don’t call it Disk Doctor Kervorkian for nothing. Just back up constantly to a remote drive or removable media if you like to live dangerously.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections