CB
Posted By
Chris_Baham
Jul 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What I am trying to do is create a "speckled" look. So, I create a white background, go to Filters / Add Noise, check monochrome, and adjust the slider to where I want it. Basically, I want it to look like White Royal Fiber paper. So, I cant do it solely in the Add Noise because the contrast is off. So, I get the speckled look that I want, and then go to Image Adjust / Brightness – Contrast. At that point, I up the Contrast to where I want the speckles to look like. However, whenever I hit OK to complete the change, it then changes everything from the way the preview shows it. The whole background gets darker and ruins it. Anybody have any ideas on how to get around that issue? Thanks,

Chris

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Jul 20, 2004
The whole background gets darker and ruins it.

Are you viewing the image at 100% at this point?
B
Buko
Jul 20, 2004
Works fine for me.

although I would reduce the contrast using Levels (Command+L) or Curves (Command+M)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
Adjustment Layer: Curves. And steepen the composite curve.

I have never found a use for the Brightness/Contrast sliders.
R
Ram
Jul 20, 2004
The only use I’ve ever had for the Brightness/Contrast adjustment is in adding a B/C adjustment layer at the very end in order to compensate for the slight dulling of the image in Soft Proof View, just prior to printing.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
I do that using Epson’s Sliders.

< Running fast …… and ducking! >
CB
Chris_Baham
Jul 20, 2004
HAHA!.. you got it Ramon! I was viewing at 50%. *slaps head*…. geez.. but I do use the Brightness / Contrast sliders all the time. Dont see the problem with it. Thanks,

Chris
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
Basically, the Contrast slider does the same thing as steepening the Curve by moving its endpoints inwards;
the Brightness slider does the same thing as moving a Curve’s top endpoint up, down or inwards.

However, if you use Curves you are not limited to a straight-line change and can affect the shadows, mid-tones and highlights individually.

You might find it well worth your while to learn more about the use of Curves.
P
progress
Jul 20, 2004
+ curves and levels can be less destructive

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections