J
Posted By
J._Sieb
Jul 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having trouble printing a horizontal print in Photoshop CS (running on Mac OS 10.3). In the preview window, the "center image" button has been selected, and the preview looks centered. However, when I see the output print, it isn’t centered. Please help me with this matter. Thank you.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 22, 2004
This is what I get with my printer too, and I think it is a ‘lag’ in how the printer ‘grab’s the paper before it is fed into the rollers. If I want something centered, I would make a blank page in photoshop and through trial-and-error, draw a center with cross lines on the page that I would move until it came out on center on the printer I was going to use. Then, put those cross hairs on a layer that also includes the 8 1/2 x 11 or whatever size paper you are using, outline as well for placement purposes. Save this file and use that art as a layer that you can paste into new documents when you are ready to line something up to come out ‘on-center’ on your printer.
B
Buko
Jul 22, 2004
I print all my photoshop images from InDesign more control over where the image is on the paper.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 22, 2004
That’s good Buko. Better than make-shifting in Photoshop.

: )
R
Ram
Jul 23, 2004
Thank you, Ian. That makes sense, of course. I hadn’t really faced the issue, as I either trim my photographs or print on borderless paper.

The remaining question should be addressed both to you and Buko, who prints from InDesign, I guess:

If this is an OS X driver issue, how is this handled different by InDesign?
R
Ram
Jul 23, 2004
Buko,

Now I’m really intrigued by this.

How do you get your images into InDesign? I know you’ve mentioned printing your Photoshop images from within InDesign even well before the CS versions came out. I haven’t upgraded to InDesign CS yet, and when I tried placing a Photoshop PSD image into InDesign 2.0.2, a dialog box told me that 16-bit images are not supported, only 8 bits.

In the File > Open dialog box, all PSD, TIFF and even JPEG files are grayed out, even 8 bit files.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 23, 2004
I can place 16 bit PSD files into 3.0.1 of Indy.

uhnm,

I’d like to know when we will be getting 16 bit output devices.
IL
Ian_Lyons
Jul 23, 2004
InDesign CS supports 16 bit PSD. Use the "Place" command!
R
Ram
Jul 24, 2004
Thanks, Ian. I’ll try that if and when I upgrade.
B
Buko
Jul 24, 2004
Yeah! B)
R
Ram
Jul 24, 2004
Buko and Ian,

So, how come InDesign can (apparently) get around the printer driver’s limitations in OS X and Photoshop can’t?

I still don’t understand that.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections