SR
Posted By
Schraven_Robert
Jan 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been meaning to ask this question for a long time. How do you take pictures of people that you do not know since the moment you approach them for approval that "magic" moment is gone.
I find that touristique area’s like museums and similar places where people expect others to walk around with camera’s and take pictures is about the only place where you can take a picture of a person you do not know. However that is usually not the place where you find interesting subjects.

With other words what are the rules of good behaviour in this or should I just buy a telelens?

Robert

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 1, 2004
Robert, the best way to capture people who don’t expect to be photographed, is to shoot quickly, but very openly and from a short distance. As soon as they noticed you took the shot, smile friendly and don’t rush off. Smile in a way people will understand there is no harm done and they understand your smile sais: "Thank you for your cooperation". Keep up a happy face! You will be surprised how many people will be most cooperative.

Working with telephoto lenses is not the way; this way you are entering into their privacy and you will be surprised to notice how many people immedeately react as soon as you point your lens at them. A 35 mm wideangle is the best lens as you are as vulnerable as your subject because you are so close.

Never try this with people who obviously don’t want to be photographed, either because they are in a vulnerable situation or their religious ideas are opposed to being photographed, like some "hard core" Christians and Muslim women.

Leen
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 1, 2004
Leen,

Does that mean that nearly all images of people by Professionals are made that way?

I agree with you that if they see you take the photo you should engage in a conversation and explain to them what you just did.
That does a lot of good.

Incereasingly I find that people are reacting in an unfriendly matter as they think that the image you just took of them will be used to make money with, with out their conscent.

Robert
LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 1, 2004
Most images of people by professionals are made that way. Look at the images of our late fellow countryman Ed van der Elsken.
< http://www.edvanderelsken.nl/index.php?page=home&languag e=en> He always used the "smile technique". It almost always works out fine.

Another way is to talk to people beforehand and (re)stage the images, like Robert Doisneau and Cartier Bresson often did. They took their images from real life, but sometimes they staged or re-staged the situation.
< http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/centre/615/art/doisnea u_intro.html> <http://www.photology.com/bresson/>

Sometimes people will object, so what? Respect their opinion. If you openly show your intentions they probably will react. If they don’t object, do what you want to do and promise them a print.
I never had any negative reactions, although I ‘m not very often a "chasseur d’images", but sometimes a customer wants some people involved in their images.

Leen
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 1, 2004
Leen,

Possibly a good way to start would be in a more controlled environment like a music theatre or music school etc. People in these surroundings are pursuing their own work and are aware of the photographer in the room but to busy to notice him.

Robert
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 1, 2004
I’m glad you asked this question because this has been one of my concerns. When I see these incredible candid shots I will wonder how the photographer accomplishes his shot without getting an occassional assault.

I had my camera with me when I spotted three buddhists monks in bright orange robes walking toward me, one of them had a large size latte cup in his hand. I kick myself over my timidity (politeness, respect) on that one.

I also feel more secure the more serious the camera looks because it conveys to the subject a ‘photograher/artist’ and not a kleptograher tourist type.
R
Ray
Jan 1, 2004
Also, wear some form of visible and recognizable IDs on you (driver’s licence, citizenship card, IDs
with your own picture, etc.) I, for one, am less fearfull of someone showing some IDs when I’m being stared at… 😉

Ray
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 1, 2004
I don’t like the idea of someone I don’t know taking my picture. As a matter of fact, I don’t like the idea of someone I DO know taking my picture. 🙂
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 1, 2004
Mark,

I understand what you are saying. I would have liked to make that picture too. When there is more than one person you could do it with a laugh and a smile and might get away with it.

I do like Ray’s idea of having some sort of ID. It could say that I am a photograher. You might even want to wear a fluorescent shirt with it.

Robert
LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 1, 2004
Beth, come over and I will convert you! 😉 Everyone is beautiful in some way. You show a typical female attitude towards your appearance. As soon as a woman sees a mirror, first thing she does looking what might be wrong. When a man notices a mirror -if he ever does- he is usally looking for something positive.

Mark, everything depends on your attitude towards your subject. If you feel guilty, don’t do it, because people feel instinctly you are doing something wrong.
If you just only think: this is an interesting image, go to these people and ask if they want to cooperate with you for a wonderful shot.

Raymond, maybe I’m so ignorant, but what is the use of an ID card in this situation? Wouldn’t a VISA card be more appropriate? 😉

Leen
R
Ray
Jan 1, 2004
Displaying an ID with a matching picture will show that you come in good faith (demonstrating honnesty). People will be able to know who you are. It can even help if you’re a little shy to introduce yourself, like "Hi, my name is Ray (while showing your ID), and I’d like to take a picture
of you guys, it’s for bla bla bla.."

A VISA will do you no good… because on the streets, only real cash means anything 😉

I’ve also read some other tips, bring some inexpensive home-made business cards. Invite people to e-mail you to get a copy of the picture(s).

Ray
SK
Shan_Ko
Jan 1, 2004
Leen,

Thanks for the links to great photography. I remember the Doismeau’s Picasso and his bread shot, and even more so the many of my favorite images of Bresson’s . Last year back I came upon a scene in Germany that recalled Bresson’s tables and chairs of the sidewalk cafe, Florence. Pity I was not able to capture the spirit of solitude and quiet of his. If memory still serves, I think I must have seen the one by van der Elsken of the oldman with the flock of birds. Another great shot.

Shan

Shan
SB
Stu_Bloom
Jan 2, 2004
Some 20 years ago there was a "right-angle" lens marketed (I forget by whom) that used a mirror to let you photograph something 90 degress away from the direction the lens was apparently pointing.
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 2, 2004
Stu,

I remember those. Seems to me they were available from a camera store somewhere in Iowa…..con’t remember the name! 🙁

dick

EDIT: hmmmm con’t? don’t
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 2, 2004
Dick, I thought you were just throwing in a bit of an English accent there…
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 2, 2004
AFAIK, you can still get this "right angle lens" (it’s actually just a couple of mirrors in a lens hood) from Porter’s.

Mac
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 2, 2004
Mac,

It seems to me that the "right angle lens" is more a tool for a spy. 🙂

Judging on the information given here it seems photographing people requires above all good communication skills and a visa card. 🙂

Robert
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 2, 2004
Many of the new digi have swivel bodies and back so you can get the same effect by appearing to looking in one direction and actually photographing in another.

I am not sure why you would do this unless you feel a bit insecure. I have found that enthusiasm for a subject usually opens the doors. Things like saying "What beautiful eyes your child has, I would really love to take a photograph of her, would you mind?" almost invariably gets a positive response. Be sincere and convey why you want to photograph the subject really helps.

I have had a mixed blessing with the equipment I carry. While most people are not really aware of what I am using they associate it with a degree of professionalism or commitment. In some cases this has opened the door as the subject assumes that I know what I am doing. Then in other cases I have got statements like "You need a licence to photograph here"

g.
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 2, 2004
Mac,

Porter’s, that’s the one! The collective wisdom scores again.

Dick

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections