MM
Posted By
Margaret_McGlynn
Jul 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How come a font I can access in Imageready, InDesign and Illustrator CS shows up as not available in Photoshop? Even when I try to paste an Illustrator file using the font into Photoshop, the program tells me the font is unavailable. The font I’m trying to use (which I’ve already used in a client logo and cannot be substituted) is called ‘Present.’

Thanks for any help you can give!

–Margaret

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 25, 2004
My guess is that you are not using a Font Management program and have too many active fonts for Photoshop.

Look at your fonts menu: Does the list end before you get to "Present"?
MM
Margaret_McGlynn
Aug 3, 2004
No, it skips the font "Present." Which font management program do you recommend. I used to use Suitcase, but found it interfered with my Microsoft word, and didn’t seem as user friendly as I would like.

Thanks for your help!

–Margaret
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 3, 2004
My choice is FontAgent Pro.
You can download a trial version here:
<http://www.insidersoftware.com/>

Concerning "Present":

Is it the new OTF version (Present LT Std) or is it the older Type 1 version? If it’s the latter, do you have both the outline and the screen font installed on your computer? It might have become corrupt and you may have to re-install it.
B
Buko
Aug 3, 2004
I use Font Book for stubborn fonts that FAP won’t activate
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 3, 2004
If FAP won’t activate fonts, it’s almost certainly because they are corrupt!

"Present" is an Adobe font and the OTF version (which can be bought on line) works perfectly with FAP for me.
MM
Margaret_McGlynn
Aug 3, 2004
FontBook is the Panther font program, right? Yes, I use that, but it’s not working in Photoshop CS. Maybe it’s because I have thousands of fonts active!!!

I have both Type 1 and TT versions of "Present" on my machine. I was told I should never use TT fonts on a Mac, so I avoid them. Neither font is currently available to me in Photshop CS, but they are in Illustrator CS, and in InDesign CS.

Probably, as Ann said, I need to re-install Suitcase and upgrade it, yes?

Thanks! –Margaret
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 3, 2004
Actually, I suggested replacing Suitcase with FontAgent Pro…

:~)
MM
Margaret_McGlynn
Aug 3, 2004
Yes, I was paying attention. Just would rather pay for an upgrade than a full new program. Also, I’ve heard that in these parts (Southern California) most designers and service providers use Suitcase. Have you found that’s true?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 3, 2004
Let’s just say that I have always hated Suitcase—with a passion!

I used ATM Deluxe until i moved to OSX (which does not support ATM DLX). FAP comes very close to ATM and is, in my view, a worthy successor.

Why don’t you just try the trial version and see what you think? It provides a 30-day fully operational trial.
B
Buko
Aug 4, 2004
I must agree with Ann Suitcase is crap I abandoned Suitcase for FAP at version 1.

Paying for a crappy upgrade is a waste of money.

Also, I’ve heard that in these parts (Southern California) most designers and service providers use Suitcase.

As my mum used to say just because everyone is jumping off the cliff does it mean that you have to as well.

download the free trial of FAP.
R
Ram
Aug 4, 2004
… because I have thousands of fonts active!!!

Well, that’s madness, pure and simple.

Also, don’t activate duplicates of the same font. You can’t have two fonts with the same name, and that includes a TrueType and a PostScript version of the same font, as you say is the case in your situation. BIG no-no!

As I’ve stressed before, I was one of the earliest supporters of Suitcase, having been a beta tester for Steve Brecher when Suitcase was essentially a one-man operation. Then Steve sold it and it went downhill after that.

Later, Adobe came out with ATM Deluxe and ATR and there was no need for any other font management utility through Mac OS 9.2.2. When Adobe decided not to support ATM Deluxe in OS X, I went back to investigate Suitcase, then at version 10. Well, Suitcase 10 was so buggy and the Suitcase Engine caused so many crashes in Classic and in straight, native 9.2.2, that, reluctantly, I couldn’t consider it seriously any longer.

FontAgent Pro is still not quite perfect as it still lacks the flexibility of ATR, but the latest version leaves Suitcase in the dust.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections