Adding small text that doesn’t look terrible…

TT
Posted By
Todd_Tutton
Jan 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What a pain!

I have an 8×10 canvas and would simply like to add some small text, like Arial 10 pt. But when I add small text it looks awful! It’s blocky and blurry looking. I’ve tried with and without antialiasing.

Even if I cut and paste from paintbrush it seems to degrade in quality.

Do I have to change my image’s pixels per inch? This operation took forever and it seemed like overkill. Is there another way, or does Adobe expect us to use another product for adding professional looking text? Something from their Print Publishing suite?

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NS
Nancy_S
Jan 3, 2004
Todd,

I’m guessing your project is intended for print because of the 8×10 size. But the fact that your text looks blocky and blurry sounds like your image is of a low resolution. However, that is confusing to me. For if you were planning on printing this image out, you would need a resolution set to between 200-300ppi for a decent print. Just as an image at 72ppi will print out blocky and blurry, so will any text on it. The pixels are just so large that edges have a ragged look to them, especially those on a diagonal.

I often add text to images. Usually my images are at 240-300ppi and text prints out very nicely. If your 8×10 is at 72ppi however, adjusting to a print resolution of even 200ppi will only result in a print 3.6 x 2.88" (unless you upsample the heck out of it).

I’m sure you know that the displayed size of an image in the workarea has nothing to do with reality. One can have a very zoomed in or zoomed out view.
LM
Lou_M
Jan 5, 2004
Yes, the zoom issue has tricked me several times. When you zoom out, Elements doesn’t do a good job of antialiasing on the screen, but the final printout looks fine.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections