Posted By
Kay_Lynn
Jan 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, all —

I’m new to this user forum, having only replied to the "slow forum" thread and a Thank You to Chuck’s welcome post to me just now.

Although I’ve been ‘putering for six years, I’m definitely a newbie to PS Elements. And I realized there would be challenges in learning to use it. But I wasn’t ready to find obstacles *before* I started to use it. I have managed to get registered with the help of a thread I found dated Aug. 23.

When I try to launch it, a box comes up saying "Unable to load PSE’s interface font. Instead, using a substitute font. The interface may not look optimal. We strongly suggest that you reboot the system and launch PSE again." Have done this, several times, in fact.

Now, if you click OK, it continues loading whatever, but then advises "The Adobe Ul font could not be loaded. For best results, please exit the program and either install it or uninstall other fonts." If you click OK to this prompt (without of course doing what they suggest which I do not understand where you would find that font and/or to "uninstall other fonts" which makes even less sense to me) it does go on to load a working screen, I guess you’d call it.

What could/should I do? (Sorry this is so long.)

Thanks for your help.

Kay

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BB
brent_bertram
Jan 4, 2004
Kay,
This is in the Adobe Tech docs, hope it helps.
<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/147a2.htm>

🙂

Brent
KL
Kay_Lynn
Jan 4, 2004
Hi, Brent (and others) —

Wow, such a prompt reply. I’m glad you found that KB doc; thought I had searched there yesterday, but guess don’t know good keywords to use.

It sounds like we’re on to something; something a little more challenging than I would have hoped to use in arriving at a solution. However, guess it’s time to stretch my mind. With help, I think I can handle it.

Question: Under Solution 1 it states: "If the file is missing (referring to the ADMUl3.fon file, which is described as "not a valid font file" in the program files folder) the suggested solution is to "uninstall and reinstall the Adobe application." Does this sound like a sensible action? How could this help?

Second question: (which I ask because I think this might be a contributing factor to this problem) In their Solution 2, they recommend reducing the number of active True Type fonts. This sounds like an excellent idea to me because my computer is heavily loaded with photo editing programs, and I’ve wondered when this might cause me problems. Sounds like that time is at hand. Not sure how to safely go about this, though.

Any suggestions on how best to do this? Under "Additional Information" they mention using ATM Deluxe "to manage fonts and keep the number of active fonts to a minimum." Never heard of ATM Deluxe; anybody know what this is?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kay
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 5, 2004
Kay,
ATM is Adobe Type Manager , one of Adobe’s applications . If you’re on a Windows pc, the simplest thing is to look in the Fonts folder of control panel, and see if there are fonts that you never use. If you don’t need them, get rid of them. There are a few fonts, mentioned in the techdoc that the system needs. Don’t delete them. Others you can safely delete.

First thing you should do, however, is check for the ADMUI3.fon file . Is it where it’s supposed to be ? Can you search for it and find it anywhere on your C: drive ?

The world wonders ….

( historical allusion )

🙂

Brent
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 5, 2004
Kay,

If you are saying that the file ADMUI3.fon is listed by your computer as not valid, it sounds like it got corrupted somehow. I would uninstall the program, reboot, reinstall with antivirus program disabled and not other programs running.
KL
Kay_Lynn
Jan 7, 2004
Brent and Nancy —

To update you on my situation: After talking with a tech at my local computer shop (which also is my internet service provider) we have decided that I need to first upgrade my 128 mb memory and then uninstall PSE and re-install it, hopefully successfully. I also have to "prune" some of the 779 fonts that somehow have taken up residence on my computer! I’m on a waiting list for when they can get to my upgrade.

I didn’t want you to think that I was ungrateful for your help or that I had disappeared. I have a feeling that I will be back asking for other help as I am able to start learning to use Elements.

Again, thanks.

Kay
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 7, 2004
Kay, I got more memory from ‘ crucial.com ‘ …got it in 2 days !

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections