R
Posted By
russellarmand
Jul 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

1) When editing type, the "path" that my text is sitting on appears immediately below (and touching) the characters. This makes kerning a hassle — instead of simply pushing characters around with my keys until satisfied, I have to exit the tool to take a clean look at the characters, then click back in with my cursor to make adjustments, repeat repeat repeat. The appearance of the path is a must-have when working with type on a curve, but for straight type it’s just overkill.

Does anyone know how to disable the appearance of this path?

2) The "underline" effect in the type tool is lousy. Since I mostly design for screen, I typically underline text to simulate links. Unfortunately, the underline is displayed differently for different typefaces, and for any typeface, the underline looks nothing like what any of the browsers render. Try Verdana versus Courier, for instance — with Verdana, the underline is correctly placed but is displayed with some translucency; with Courier, the underline is placed too low and is translucent as well. Furthermore, different size and leading pairs render the underline differently, sometimes even as a blurry two-pixel line.

We all know that browsers render underlines as solid lines, exactly one pixel beneath the baseline of the text, regardless of the face, size, style, and leading value — shouldn’t Photoshop CS do the same?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 30, 2004
It sounds as if you are using faux fonts to create the underlined type.

The position on which such an underscore falls is determined by the Typeface’s built-in Baseline and there is nothing that you can do about it except to create your underscores manually or choose a different font. There are also a few type families which include a true (as opposed to faux) Underline font.

As for the Baseline being visible while you are editing: View menu/uncheck Extras will hide it.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections