CB
Posted By
Charles_Bogusat
Jul 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Should I remove Photoshop 7 before installing a complete (not upgrade) Photoshop CS from CD on Mac OSX?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Jul 31, 2004
You don’t have to. I still have versions 1.x, 4.x, 6.x and 7.x all living happily together on the same hard drive.

If your future holds the possibility of working with images of any bank notes though, you’ll want to keep Photoshop 7 on your hard drive.
R
Ram
Jul 31, 2004
You don’t have to. Both versions can coexist on the same drive.
B
Buko
Jul 31, 2004
If your hard drive is so small that you need the space, you need a new hard drive.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 1, 2004
I would be sure that the new version is correctly installed and functioning properly before deep-sixing the old PS. Remember that some of your third-party filters, plug-ins, scanner drivers, etc. may not be compatible with the new PS and will require you to download or purchase the upgrade.

BTW, any particular reason you did not buy just the PS upgrade? Did you purchase the CS Suite?

Neil
CS
Claude_Saccaro
Aug 2, 2004
"If your future holds the possibility of working with images of any bank notes though, you’ll want to keep Photoshop 7 on your hard drive."

Phosphor I’m just curious. What’s that about?…
R
Ram
Aug 2, 2004
Claude,

Just do a forum search on Digimarc currency counterfeiting.

It was discussed here ad nauseam when Photoshop 8 came out and it was discovered you can’t open files containing scanned images of certain bills, US and otherwise.

Just try scanning one of the NEW $20 or $100 bills yourself.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 3, 2004
Confederate money should be OK. <lol>

For the most part, though, you will probably find yourself forgetting all about v7 once you get going with v8.

Neil
R
Ram
Aug 3, 2004
Neil,

Any bill that doesn’t have the necessary pattern arrangement for Digimarc’s scheme to work can be scanned. As far as US currency goes, only the NEW $20 and $100 bills have that protection. You can freely scan any other denomination.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 3, 2004
Thanks, Ramón, for the info.

Hmmmmm….wonder if I’ll have a problem scanning dollar coins… <lol>

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 3, 2004
Pieces of Eight are the hardest.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 3, 2004
Ann,

[in re: pieces of eight, pirates, et al…]

No, the really hard part is scanning the parrot!

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 3, 2004
In the words of Monty Python: you have to "nile" them down if you want them to stay there.
R
Ram
Aug 4, 2004
Neil,

No, not dollar coins; but some European coins already adhere to the scheme.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 4, 2004
The hard part is getting the parrot to stand still…
R
Ram
Aug 4, 2004
Good. I thought the poor parrot had been killed for this end.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 4, 2004
THAT, Allen, is why he was nailed there!
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 4, 2004
Monty Python: on the dead-as-a-doornail parrot…

It’s not nailed to its perch.
It’s not a passé Polly.
It’s merely a Norwegian blue, pining for its long lost love.

Neil

….but I do agree that Adobe has gone a bit overboard with the prohibition of scanning currency. If someone really wanted to do that, they would find a way. And it would be easier than scanning parrots.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections