RN
Posted By
Robert_N_Kelly
Jan 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Some of my photos edited on Elements and transferred to CD will not play on my DVD Player without first having been processed by Pinnacle Studio or Roxio Easy CD Creator. This is very much a time wasting exercise. My DVD Player instructions state that JPEG images must be compressed in the format 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. The original format is OK without editing. How can I achieve this format?
Norman Kelly

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LM
Lou_M
Jan 7, 2004
Sorry to ask a dumb question, buy are you saving them as JPEGs or PSDs from Elements?

Also, I know that browsers have a problem if files are saved as CMYK instead of RGB, but Elements doesn’t give you that option unless maybe you have a plug-in.

One final suggestions: have you tried the Filter–>Video–>NTSC filter? Maybe that would help.
RN
Robert_N_Kelly
Jan 7, 2004
Thanks. The photos are taken as JPEGs and saved as JPEGs,hence the question re JPEG format. The photos I transfer to CD either unedited or edited in Elements play perfectly well on the PC. Those edited in Elements do not play on the DVD player.
The question remains "How do I achieve a usuable format with Elements"
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 7, 2004
The more important question here is, What is there about your work flow that makes the JPEG images become unusable? I have never encountered this problem. So please forgive me for asking again, are you absolutely sure you are saving your images as JPEG files? I’m not suggesting that you are doing this, but I have experienced people just changing the extension to .jpg using the Rename file option and then expect the file to be treated as a JPEG image. You are flattening any layers and then saving as a JPEG, are you not?
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 7, 2004
How are you getting them to the CD? Just burning like you would a data CD? If so, I’m not sure it’s the format of the JPEG coming from Elements that’s the problem as much as the way in which you’re burning. It seems like I read somewhere (although of course I can’t find it) that the software for burning VCDs does that "conversion" for you and makes the JPEGs viewable on a DVD player. Or not. 🙂 Since it’s not clear to me how you are doing these, maybe you should repost with the steps you’re using to make your CD. That might help people come up with a better/more accurate response than the one I just gave you.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 7, 2004
The DVD player that I use allows me to simply burn the JPEG images to a CD, and then the DVD player allows me to navigate the folders and choose the images I want to display. It does not involve creating a VCD. This could be a problem with the DVD player, but I rather doubt it. There is something strange going on somewhere.
LM
Lou_M
Jan 8, 2004
Norman, do you have a web site you could post one of the pictures to so we could take a look at it?

Are you doing a Save As… or Save For Web… ? Have you tried both options? Are you including a color profile? Are you making them progressive?

Neither Pinnacle Studio nor Roxio Easy CD Creator is an image editor. How are you "processing" them with these tools? Are you putting the pictures into a Pinnace Studio timeline and exporting as an MPEG? Or are you using an image editor that’s bundled with these tools?

Sorry if all the questions seem dumb, I’m just trying to narrow down the problem.
LD
Lynn_D._Green
Jan 8, 2004
I have just done this with a bunch of old family pictures my sister and I scanned. My DVD player stipulates that they must be JPEG files with no more than 8 characters in the title. I put them all into one folder and then used Batch Conversion in PSE2 to change them all to JPEGS and rename them with a 4 digit number. It worked just fine.

Lynn
RN
Robert_N_Kelly
Jan 8, 2004
Thanks everyone. Sorry I have not supplied sufficient details. Here goes. I can write unaltered photos to a data disc which plays as required either slideshow or otherwise on my computer. It will also play on my DVD player.
If I alter some of these in Elements these will still play on my computer but not on my DVD player. I use either save or save as in Elements and save as JPEG max. quality with a format of Baseline Standard. I do not rename files.
If I write a VCD, SVCD or DVD with Studio 8 or Easy CD Creator all play correctly. My DVD player plays JPEGs only if they are in the format 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. Obviously the original photos are in the correct format.
So how do I get those altered by Elements into the correct format? www.internetcampus.com/compress.htm gives a good explanation but does not tell me how to solve my problem.
R
RobertHJones
Jan 8, 2004
Robert,

4:2:2 and 4:2:1 are not applicable to still photos. These apply to moton picture sampling rates such as would be used in a camcorder or other video capturing device. The first number refers to the sampling rate for luminence (b&w tone) and the other two the sampling rate for the color components.

There must be a different problem. I’m guessing your player does not like the extra embedded information in the saved image. Things like a thumbnail image, embedded icc profile, etc.

Try this, use "save for web" to save the image as jpeg instead of "save as" (leave the check boxes unchecked). If that works, the problem is the extra information. Is your player older? It may not know how to handle all the extra information that’s covered in the newer jpg specification.

You can also try "save as" and uncheck the thumbnail and color (icc profile) boxes to see if that works.

Bob
RN
Robert_N_Kelly
Jan 8, 2004
Thank you. I accept that there may be different problem and will try your suggestions and let you know how I get on.
My player is a new Panasonic "bells and whistles" model and the instructions state "Note that JPEG files must be extended by JPG,jpg,JPEG or jpeg and compressed in format 4:2:2 or 4:2:0"
I will check the extensions as well.

Norman
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 8, 2004
Robert,

We have the DMR-HS2 and found a Panasonic forum at

<http://www.thewholewideweb.com/forum/default.asp>

Some of the people there are very technically minded !!! … if you ask there I am sure that someone will come back to you with an answer.

Hope this is of some use

Wendy
RN
Robert_N_Kelly
Jan 10, 2004
Thanks to everyone who tried to help.
I have tried all the suggestions without success but at least I have decided that the problem does not lie in the format I mentioned.
I have tried Roxio DVD Builder to write the slides to DVD or SVCD. This is very much quicker than Pinnacle Studio and solves the problem although the resolution may not be as high as compiling a data disc as previously tried.
Norman
LM
Lou_M
Jan 10, 2004
Norman, on a TV the resolution will never be higher than the equivalent of 640×480 on a PC. That’s the best a US TV can do.

If you play your slideshows on a PC or Mac, of course, the higher the resolution the better.
SH
Sid_Hess
Jan 10, 2004
Robert: I share your problem with a Panasonic DVD-S25.

Their manual also says, "Do not alter the {JPEG}files in any way or save them under a different name." On the same page just opposite this the manual says, "At the time of recording, prefix folder and file names with 3-digit numbers in the order you want to play them (this may not work at times)."

A few of my PSE2 enhanced photos will display on the DVD but most times, like you, I can’t get enhanced pictures to show. Had a few pictures enhanced with the more expensive Photoshop Professional which did not show either.

Mode of saving on PSE2 doesn’t make any difference. I’ve asked Panasonic for suggestions but they have not responded.

Sid Hess (no relation to Jim)
SH
Sid_Hess
Jan 11, 2004
Forgot to mention that in almost all cases thumnails will display on TV screen even when the full screen image of the enhanced photo does not.
RN
Robert_N_Kelly
Jan 12, 2004
Thanks Sid.

Just a pity I spent so much time trying to solve the unsolvable. Norman
LM
Lou_M
Jan 12, 2004
Hmmm. I just took two directories of images and plopped them on a CD-RW disc. The images contained both the original JPEG images from my Canon A70 camera, as well as Photoshop Elements-enhanced photos that were saved using Save For Web. In fact, these are images that I submitted to Grant for the Elements Photo Challenge.

They played fine on my Panasonic DVD-S35 DVD player.

When I burned them, using Roxio’s Toast Titanium 6 for Mac OS X (Panther), I chose "ISO 9660" format (CD-ROM XA). When I selected the photos, Toast Titanium automatically chopped the filenames down to eight-dot-three format (eight characters, a dot, and a three-letter (JPG) extension).

Both thumbnails and full size images displayed on the DVD-S35 player, as well as a slide show. It was very slick, actually.

Norman, when you burn to CD-R, what format are you using? ISO 9660? Windows?
RN
Robert_N_Kelly
Jan 13, 2004
Lou. That is very interesting. My player is the same! My camera is a Canon S30. I use PSE1 and used Roxio Creator Classic to transfer the images as a data disc to CD/RW. The player will not show thumbnails or images if enhanced. DVD Builder gets round the problem. I will have to check which format Roxio CC uses and get back to you again.

Norman
RN
Robert_N_Kelly
Jan 16, 2004
Lou. I have tried all permutations that I can think of all the resulting images play on the player. I have given up in disgust and will stick to Roxio DVD Builder in future.
Norman
NM
Norman_McAllister
Jan 17, 2004
I had a problem with scanned photos reading on a Panasonic DVD-S25 player received at Christmas and was able to solve my problem, but I don’t know if you have the same problem or not. I had scanned a lot of old b/w photos on automatic and I noticed that the ones that would not play on the player had been coded by the scanner software as mode greyscale. The ones that the player could read were coded as RGB. I changed the mode of the greyscale pictures to RGB using PSE2 and then wrote the pictures to a CD and they were all read by the player. I had used PSE2 to crop almost all of the photos to remove the borders, but that didn’t cause any problems with the player. I hope this helps.
SH
Sid_Hess
Feb 26, 2004
After much trial error I have discovered that images will not show on Panasonic DVD25 in "Progressive Format". "Baseline Format" works.

The difficulty remains in determining what format your images are in. I have only been able to learn this by using the "Save As" command. After you have indicated the name and location for saving, a screen comes up asking you to choose one of 3 "Format Options": Baseline Standard, Baseline Optimized, and Progressive. I not tried Baseline Optimized.

There should be an easier way to determine the format for any particular picture; everything imaginable is already displayed in the "File Information" window of the browser.
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 26, 2004
Is there a way to make the DVD, and have it play as a slide show on the TV? Now when I want to show family pictures, I put them into a folder on my Powerbook and then fire up Graphic Converter’s slide show, and show the pictures this way. If this can be done with the DVD, that would be really nice. I assume that the iMac dvd burner would do this for us?
I am learning something new again today here!
Thanks,
Jane
JH
Jim_Hess
Feb 26, 2004
Jane,

There are a number of software programs that will enable you to create slide shows that will display on your TV set. And many of the new DVD players will display the file structure of a DVD or a CD, allow you to navigate to a specific folder, and then display the pictures. My DVD player does this very smoothly. However, it is not a self running slide show. At least on my DVD player it is necessary for me to advance each time. But it certainly is a comfortable and easy way to share photographs with a group of people.

Jim
SH
Sid_Hess
Feb 26, 2004
Jane,

As you may note from this correspondence you can show jpeg pictures on a CD on a DVD player. Just note that every DVD player seems to have its own format requirements.
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 26, 2004
This is going to be fun for me, as soon I will have DVD burning capablilties when I get my iMac. I will see if I can do this using Graphic Converter, could I put the pictures on the DVD and have them show as a slide show, no, I am thinking that I would still have to use the Powerbook to do this. The DVD would just have the pictures on it, not the program to make the slide show. The human would have to advance the thing just like an old slide projector.
This is interesting, I can’t wait to try it. I should try one of my CDs with some pictures.

Oh, but first we have to buy a DVD player that is not my Powerbook! It has to be not a computer to try this experiment. I will borrow my brother’s Saturday.
From this message you can see that my husband and I are not TV addicts, thus my ignorance doubt the TV technology.
Egads, do I feel stupid about this. But I am learning, thanks to you all. Jane
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Feb 26, 2004
Jane,

You can make some really spectacular slideshows that include credits, transitions and soundtracks with iLife (iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie and iDVD) that comes with your new iMac. You actually create the slide show in iMovie and then when you’re ready, burn it to DVD with iDVD. Of course this is way overkill if you just want to put together a few images to distribute on CD but if you want something more this is the way to go and it’s very easy.

Joe
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 26, 2004
Hi Joe, Wow, I can do all that with the new iMac!?! I better get this thing soon as I can. The DVD player just does it, and it all will show on the TV in slide show format, That’s wonderful, because I never really liked my PBook to be sitting in a room full of relatives and kids on the coffee table in front of the TV with all its wires. So iMovie takes the place of Graphic Converters slide show thing.
Jane
SH
Sid_Hess
Feb 27, 2004
Jane,

Be sure that your new DVD player supports jpeg. Get a look at Consumers Reports for December for good advise.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Feb 27, 2004
Hi Jane,

So iMovie takes the place of Graphic Converters slide show thing.

Sort of. What happens is iMovie coverts the images to a QT movie, along with any soundtrack, transitions, effects, etc.

Here’s an example movie < http://homepage.mac.com/josephhenry/Movies/iMovieTheater61.h tml> I threw together this afternoon. It’s fairly large so let the page load completely to get the full effect (11.5mb). Even at that size, though, the actual movie is pretty small so it’s hard to read the credits at the end of the movie. Understand that if you were doing a similar project and were burning to a DVD or even a CD, you wouldn’t have this problem. I just thought you might like to see sort of what I’m talking about. Oh, make sure and have your speakers turned on or a pair of headphones. The soundtrack is great!

Joe

EDIT: No snowmen were injured or killed in the making of this movie.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections