J
Posted By
john
Jan 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Having not quite yet purchased a ‘photo-quality’ printer (several under consideration, including HP 7960 and Canon i960), I am thinking of giving a few files to a photo lab for some 8×10-ish enlargements. Some of them are black and white.

Does anyone have experience with B&W digital to a photo lab? Should I not bother? Or, should the files be ‘prepared’ in a particular way?

Finally, if anyone has any good/bad experiences with labs in the Toronto area, I’d welcome your comments.

Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 10, 2004
I have accounts with ClubPhoto, Shutterfly, and many others; and I find that when I select the pictures to be printed that I have uploaded to these albums, that the pictures come out very well.
I have not done any black and whites, but everything else is great(and they don’t fade like our own printed ones).
If you upload one that won’t be printed well, they will tell you why, like resolution or size problems, so that you can go back and modify your .pse picture and upload it again to get what you want. Make your .jpg just like you want it to be, and they will do photo-quality prints that don’t fade.
Jane
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 10, 2004
I had a half-dozen black and white 8x10s printed at Sam’s Club, and I was quite pleased with the results. From what limited experience I have had with photo labs, if you make sure you have done all the color correcting (or removing in this instance) you can usually expect good results. At least in my case I’m getting better results that I used to get from film.
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 10, 2004
This is true, I have had wonderful results. Just get the picture ready, and run it by their analysis thing, and you will be very pleased. Not expensive either.
Jane
J
john
Jan 11, 2004
Thanks. This is encouraging. I will certainly give a few colour shots a try and will decide on the B&W later. Maybe I’ll ‘duotone’ the black and whites so I won’t be disappointed when they come back with a colour cast! 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections