WB
Posted By
William_beede
Jan 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When selecting ‘import’ from the file menu and choosing my newly dowloaded CanonPI-U 380X plug-in(for a Canon N656U scanner using Mac OS10.2.8) I get the message that "scanner not connected" even thought it is. I’ve tried unplugging and replugging several times to no avail.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 9, 2004
You might have to restart the computer if it has been unplugged, my grandson pulled my scanner’s power cord out, and I had to restart the whole system even tho I had plugged it back in.
Jane
WB
William_beede
Jan 9, 2004
Thanks for the quick post. I’ve also restarted the computer a couple of times, but still get the same ‘scanner not connected’ message. I can access the scanner using the Mac OS 9 side but that doesn’t help me import photos into Photoshop Elements 2.0.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jan 9, 2004
wrote:
When selecting ‘import’ from the file menu and choosing my newly dowloaded CanonPI-U 380X plug-in(for a Canon N656U scanner using Mac OS10.2.8) I get the message that "scanner not connected" even thought it is. I’ve tried unplugging and replugging several times to no avail.

Is there a USB hub involved? If so, try to directly connect just the scanner.

Shut down everything and power off first.

Ed
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 9, 2004
Are you sure the plug-in is in the right place? For my n1240U the installer just dumps it loose in the applications folder and I have to find it and manually drag it to PE>plug-ins>import/export. Also, are you sure that it’s the right plug-in for your version of X?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 9, 2004
Oh, also be sure you’ve got everything you need. My scanner also requires the canoscan toolbox as well as the scangear driver in X. Check the canon site again to be sure you’re not missing a piece somewhere.
WB
William_beede
Jan 9, 2004
I tried this but still no luck. Thought sure it would work. I think it may be a driver problem with Mac OSX
WB
William_beede
Jan 9, 2004
Maybe I should copy the CanonScan toolbox from Applications OS9 over to Applications OSX? I’ll check Canon’s website again to see if I’ve missed something.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 9, 2004
William, OS 9 drivers do not work in X. If you don’t have stuff that specifically says it works with X and with your version of X, your scanner won’t run in X.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 9, 2004
Are you sure there is X software for that scanner?
WB
William_beede
Jan 9, 2004
No, I’m not sure since I bought and installed it under OS9. I’ve downloaded the driver plug-in for OS10 but I don’t see any way to update the software on Canon’s site. Maybe I’ll have to buy a new scanner that will work with OS10…any suggestions?
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jan 9, 2004
wrote:

I thought this sounded familiar. I had to reinstall OSX for someone recently, and was faced with the same problem.

I installed OSX 10.2.3, and updated that. Then I downloaded 2 pieces from Canon. You can see these two downloads at the top of the Mac session (and a delete utility – might as well get that.)

The toolbox must be installed before scanexpert.

I do remember having problems with the install. I got out my hammer and made it work, though.

Seriously, if you run into something specific, post it. Ypu can see why there is a delete utility download.

Ed
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 9, 2004
I have read about this in MacWorld magazine, that your scanner which works fine with OS 9, will be difficult to get to run in X. Drivers and all, that is what makes a lot of people go out and buy a new printer and scanner. Sometimes it is just easier. I have elected to wait on X for a while.
Jane
WB
William_beede
Jan 9, 2004
I might have found the problem. Step 1 of the Mac install instructions say " When the USB cable has been disconnected and AFTER COMPATIBLE SOFTWARE HAS BEEN INSTALLED… Any idea where to get "compatible software"?? What I have loaded is what came with the scanner and I installed under OS9. If it wasn’t so much fun tracking this demon down I’d just go out and buy a MacOS10 friendly scanner. I don’t think it’ll be from Canon!
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 9, 2004
Try a demo version of VueScan. It’s a "universal" scanning software that works with a variety of scanners. I know it works under Jaguar, because I tested it when I was trying to decide whether to keep my old Astra UMAX 1200S. It’s a shareware program, but it’s not terribly expensive. The VueScan site has an area in which it lists scanner models with which it is compatible.

By the way, Canon usually does better than other manufacturers in getting their drivers updated for new Mac operating systems. You didn’t say how old your scanner is; does it predate the introduction of OS X? If so, that’s the problem. If the OS hadn’t been "invented yet", then Canon used software compatible with the most current OS. Drivers are usually updated, but that’s not necessarily the case with the scanning software itself.
WB
William_beede
Jan 9, 2004
Yes the scanner is ancient. A little more than 3 years old. What you say makes sense. I’ll try the VueScan demo first before resorting to a new purchase. Thanks
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 9, 2004
William,

I’d try downloading the driver < http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprDriversTypeSystemV2.jsp? minisite=10000&type=Software&prodref=PS&subtype= Software&group_id=-1&level2catq=AllCats&x=2secti on=0&modelid=8008&section=10274&pname=CanoScan%2 0N656U&item=7987> and installing it again. It appears that the latest driver is the "ScanExpert_v380X.app.sit" file which was posted back in 2002. Could be that Canon just hasn’t (won’t) be updating that driver for OS X 10.2.

This text might be what they mean by "After compatible software has been installed":

(Note: Adobe Photoshop 7.0 for Mac OS X or Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 for Mac OS X must be installed prior to installing ScanExpert v3.8.0X for the CanoScan N650U/N656U/N1220U scanners)

That was from the description of the ScanExpert software.

Jane,

I have read about this in MacWorld magazine, that your scanner which works fine with OS 9, will be difficult to get to run in X.

That just depends on the manufacturer. I have an Epson that worked great in OS 9, then for 6 months wouldn’t work at all in OS X while they were writing a driver for it, but now works like a champ. When Apple made the switch to OS X all the hardware manufacturers had to rewrite all of thier software to be compatible. This took quite a bit of time and many older devices never did get new drivers. So if the company that made your scanner decided to write an update to thier driver software you’re in luck. If not, well you’re out of luck unless you can use a program like VueScan.

Joe
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 10, 2004
Vuescan does not work with a lot of the older canon scanners, FWIW.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jan 10, 2004
wrote:
Yes the scanner is ancient. A little more than 3 years old. What you say makes sense. I’ll try the VueScan demo first before resorting to a new purchase. Thanks

It sounds like we skipped over quite a bit. If you go to Canon usa web site, and get the software, it will work with OSX.

Joe_Henry posted a direct link to the software.

Ed
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 10, 2004
I have all old and wonderful scanners, printers, cd burners, UMAX, Epson, Yamaha, and other old stuff. I am afraid of going to OS X, as would these work? Or would they launch me into ‘driver hell’?
What would my dear old G4 say?

My husband is threatening to get me a new Mac, but I really want to know if I will have to get new printer, new scanner, new burner, new software, new truck, new lawnmower, new kitchen appliances,,,,,,
Oh, what ain’t broke,,,,,,
Jane
R
Ray
Jan 10, 2004
Totally stupid question here… what does FWIW means ? I know FYI, but this one… I can’t make any
sense for it.

Ray
WB
William_beede
Jan 10, 2004
Joe,

You’re right and I do have Photoshop Elements2 installed. That’s what started all of this when I tried to scan into PSE2.

I’m thinking seriously of upgrading to a OS10 compatible scanner with the compatible software. This machine seems to have outlived its usefulness. It also makes me wonder about going to OS 10.3 right now too. Will a new scanner work with it? I’ve checked out a few models on line and have seen that they work with 10.2 versions but nothing yet specifically for 10.3.

Thanks for your input
WB
William_beede
Jan 10, 2004
Don’t despair…I still use my old Kensington TurboMouse with a iMate ADB to USB adapter. Just can’t find anything I like better.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 10, 2004
Ray, FWIW=For what it is worth

William, many older scanners work well in 10.3. I have a canon n1240U which has been replaced by the LIDE scanners and it works perfectly in panther, using the PE plug-in. You should have no trouble finding a compatible new scanner.
WB
William_beede
Jan 10, 2004
For what it’s worth!
WB
William_beede
Jan 10, 2004
Why, then, won’t my Canon n656U work in 10.2.8 despite trying all of the fixes reccommended in this string???? It’s really bugging me!
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 10, 2004
Ray, here are few more chat acronyms for you:

http://www.sharpened.net/glossary/acronyms.php
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 10, 2004
This is weird. I posted this last night. Don’t know where it disappeared to:

William, check your startup items (system prefs>accounts) and make sure you don’t have two copies of the same button manager for your scanner in there. That will cause the message you’ve been getting, even if you have the correct software installed.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jan 10, 2004
wrote:
Why, then, won’t my Canon n656U work in 10.2.8 despite trying all of the fixes reccommended in this string???? It’s really bugging me!

William,

When I get really bugged, I write down all the steps and try things again.

I think it may help to doublecheck what you downloaded, and make sure you use the software in correct order.

1. Download and use "Scanner Delete Driver Application"
2. Download and install "CanoScan Toolbox CS 1.3.1"
3. Download and install "ScanExpert v3.8.0X Application"

Did you do a clean install of OSX?

Unfortunately, I don’t have OSX, or that scanner.

Ed
R
Ray
Jan 10, 2004
Thanks a lot Chuck, that’s a keeper !

Ray
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 11, 2004
Chuck,

I’d never seen the third one up from the bottom. Bet I could use that a lot and no one would know. (I’d never use it here!)

Dick

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections