DH
Posted By
David_Hendon
Jan 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve rec’d an e-mail with a JPEG image attached. When I try to open it with PhotoShop Elements, I get an error message saying that the image cannot be opened because "reading spatial/lossless JPEG files is not implemented". The only reference in PS Elements HELP gives a definition of sorts but nothing on implementing. I’ve also tried to save the image without opening it. When I try to open it from the saved file, I get the same message. How do I implement reading spatial/lossless JPEG files, or otherwise open the image?
Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RW
Ralph_Ward
Jan 10, 2004
I have no idea but would to have a compressing jpeg which is lossless to work with and programs that handle it
Ralph Ward
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 10, 2004
David,

Don’t know if it would work or not but when I have an image that will not open by any other means I load it into Graphic Converter then resave it.

Graphic Converter is (I think) shareware and a quick google search should find it for you.

Good Luck
Wendy
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 10, 2004
I use Graphic Converter a lot also. It will open almost anything, and then just save it as a .jpg and PSE will open it with no problem. If I have a bunch of pictures to open, I use GC, then I take the ones that I want to work on and open then with PSE.
I bought Graphic Converter, but there is a trial period too. <http://www.graphic-converter.net/>
or
<http://www.lemkesoft.de/en/index.htm>
That company has other goodies too.
Jane
PA
Patti_Anderson
Jan 10, 2004
Try Irfanview — it’s freeware. Irfanview is a small image viewer/editor, with big potential. IMO, if Irfanview can’t open it, it can’t be opened. LOL <http://www.irfanview.com>

Patti
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 10, 2004
yup, irfanview is what i use as well. Someone had sent me a pic that they had uploaded to their Kodak sharing site and it was a JPEG but the extension was screwy. Irfanview just changed the extension and i was able to open and save it from within the program.
DH
David_Hendon
Jan 11, 2004
Here it’s been only about 24 hours and I’ve heard from so many of you. I haven’t had time to try the solutions. Meanwhie,thanks Ralph, Wendy, Jane, Patti and Jodi. I’m glad to see that there is some agreement on some solutions. I’ll give each a try tomorrow and report back. I appreciate your responsiveness.
SS
Susan_S.
Jan 11, 2004
Graphic Converter is the Mac solution, Irfan View the Windows one! I’ve had a lot of success with the former and heard a lot of good things about the latter.

Susan S.
DH
David_Hendon
Jan 12, 2004
To Ralph, Wendy, Jane, Patti, & Jodi, I want to add my thanks to Susan. I downloaded Irfan View today, and after some recalcitrance by my system, I was able to open the specific e-mail attachment that had been giving me such problems. At that point I was able to change its image size and save it with a different extension. I was also able to pick up a couple of other useful downloads. Thank you very much.

David H.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 13, 2004
David,

That is brilliant news …. just hope the photograph was a good one 🙂

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 13, 2004
ya…the one that finally made me download irfanview totally sucked…but hey, I got the program now 🙂
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 13, 2004
Its always the way isn’t it Jodi 🙂

Wendy
CS
carl_sutherland
Jan 13, 2004
Susan and Jane,

Do either of you know where I might find some simple directions for Graphic Converter for basic functions? A copy came with my software for OS X apparently, but it came with a 126 page manual that I have not been able to digest. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Carl

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections