RS
Posted By
Raymond_Sanborn
Jan 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can someone explain the following situation. I open two images. I select a portion of one image and do a New Layer Copy to another layer of the same image. Then I select "All" of the copied layer and "Edit/Copy". The I go to the other image I have open and select New Layer making it transparent by setting opacity to 0.
Now I select the newly created tranparent layer and do an Edit/Paste operation and nothing happens. I look at the layer in the Layers view and nothing is there? I look at the layer itself and sure enough nothing is there – its blank. So , I think, perhaps the program didn’t understand? So I repeat the Edit/Paste Command. Now I have two transparent layers which in the Layers view shows the pasted portion of the image on both layers. However, when I look at the individaul layers one is blank and the other has my pasted image.
What am I doing wrong? How can I accomplish my objective of pasting a portion of one image into another separate image in a straightforward manner?
I must tell you that this situation is not new to me but it has reached a point of too much frustration. I just spent 1 1/2 hours touching up the final pasted image and then flattened the layers. Guess what? My final flattened image has a shadow image of the original paste in its center!!I know – I know – I forgot the susposedly blank layer and didn’t delete it before flattening.
Can someone explain what’s happening here and recommend a better way to accoplish my task that has a lower probability of elicting an —
OH DA—RN!!
Ray

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 11, 2004
Maybe I’m oversimplifying what you’re trying to do, but…

You want to take a selection from one image and paste it into a second image on its own layer. Is that correct? If so, you’re just working too hard!

Make your selection, then do Edit>Copy

Activate the second image, then do Edit>Paste

The selection will automatically go in as a new layer.

Just don’t make the same mistake I just did when I was verifying this. I opened an image that had an adjustment layer on it, I made my selection, but when I pasted the selection into the second image, it was blank! All I’d done was get a copy of the adjustment layer, and the background image wasn’t included, because I hadn’t flattened the image first.

When I’m working on layered images and need to do something like this, I made a duplicate of the first image, flatten it, and then I make my selection from the copy. That way I don’t have to flatten my original. An optional method is to flatten the original, get your selection out, and then go back to the first image and do Edit>Undo, or Edit>Step Backward. That "undos" the flattening process.

Does this answer your question?
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 11, 2004
If I’m understanding you correctly, here is what you need to do:

Open your first image and highlight the area you want to copy to a new layer. Edit/copy that selection to the clipboard.
Paste the selection back to your image. The new layer will be created automatically.

Also, if you have set the opacity of a layer to 0, nothing will display on your image anyway even if there is an image because you have made the layer transparent regardless of what is really on it.

If I didn’t understand your question and these answers are obvious to you, then I apologize. Maybe someone else will be able to understand what you are trying to do.
RS
Raymond_Sanborn
Jan 13, 2004
Beth & Jim:
Thanks folks. I always seem to circle the barn rather just entering the front door. Guess that comes from reading too many How To instuctions!

Now I get it. Just select and Copy what you want from one image and go to the next image and Paste. Guess it can’t be any simpler.

I don’t even want to think about what was happening in my much too complicated process of trying to get there!

Thanks again for instructing (correcting) me.
Ray
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 13, 2004
You’re welcome, Ray! 🙂 I think we’ve all done the same thing you have at one time or another.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 13, 2004
Been there, done that. Onward!
JR
John_R._Collins
Jan 13, 2004
Raymond,
Your original method works fine if you set the opacity of your new layer to 100%. After the paste though, all you will see is your new layer.

What you can now do is to select that layer and reduce its size, or, select a portion of it that you don’t want and go to edit/cut.

You don’t need to create the new layer though
What I do is to just drag my second picture onto the first. It creates its own layer while doing this. Then, I select a portion of the picture that I want to keep using the rectangular marquee tool or the polygon lasso tool in order to have an exotic shape.
Then Select/inverse, Edit/cut and there you are!

John

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections