Passing image filename to P.E. when launching P.E.

D
Posted By
dddiam
Jan 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I seem to be having difficulty passing an image filename to P.E. when launching P.E.

If I launch P.E. from "Start Programs", and select my photo via the "File" => "Open" menu, I can open any JPG file successfully.

If I launch P.E. from a Command Prompt, I get one of two different results, depending on which JPG file I pass as a parameter. For example, let’s say the I typed the following into the Command Prompt window:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\PhotoshopElements.exe" c:\MyDocs\MyPhoto,jpg

It sometimes works properly, bringing up P.E. with the selected photo displayed, and, with other photos, instead it brings up a window-size property box, and then displays an empty window of that size. (It depends on which photo).

If type the same thing into the "Start" => "Run" box, the results are consistent with the result that I get from the Command Prompt.

On the other hand, if I set P.E. as the default program for opening JPG files, then when I double click on a JPG file in Explorer, it lauches P.E. which then brings up the "Adobe Photoshop Elements" spash screen, but no picture or picture window.

If I place a shortcut to P.E. in the "SendTo" folder, and send a file from Explorer to P.E., the behavior is the same as when I just double-click the file with P.E. as the default program for opening JPG files.

The above four techniques work fine if I use a different imaging program than P.E.

I am running Windows 2000 SP4 with security patches. What are the possible causes and fixes?

– David D.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

D
dddiam
Jan 12, 2004

P.S., I am running P.E.1 (not P.E.2).

– David D.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 12, 2004
Did you have any antivirus software running when you installed Elements? If so, it’s been known to cause one or more of a wide range of weird problems. If the answer is yes, then you need to do a complete uninstall of Elements, including a Find for the Preference folder, then disable your antivirus software before reinstalling. And be sure to get that Preference file out, because the Install/Uninstall feature of Windows doesn’t get rid of it. If it’s corrupted the problem will persist.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections