W
Posted By
Wayneo426
Aug 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Anyone else see this? My history palette, (set at 999 states), goes black when Im around 300 states. Cant read the states and new prefs file didnt work.
Machine is G4 DP 1GHZ w/ OSX10.2.8
Thanks in advance for any help.

Wayneo

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Aug 5, 2004
My history palette, (set at 999 states), goes black when Im around 300

Maybe you shouldn’t set it so high.
W
Wayneo426
Aug 5, 2004
It doesnt matter if its set at 300 or 999 , it still goes black.
JB
Jonathan_Balza
Aug 5, 2004
I think he means set it at a reasonable level, such as 100 at most.

How much RAM do you have?
W
Wayneo426
Aug 5, 2004

1.75 GB RAM. Unfortunately, setting the states to 100 limits me.
I have done tests regarding this prob, but cant find a solution.
JB
Jonathan_Balza
Aug 5, 2004
I have a feeling that the amount of history states you have is causing the problem. Each additional history state, when it’s created, takes up more RAM.

Your solution is to use fewer history states.
W
Wayneo426
Aug 5, 2004
Thanks Jonathan, I will try it out.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 5, 2004
As suggested above, reduce the number of History States considerably and use Image Menu>Duplicate, followed by a Save As, to save intermediate states.
J
jonf
Aug 5, 2004
You can also take snapshots at crucial points of the process to minimize the need for extra history states.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 5, 2004
<< You can also take snapshots at crucial points >> … and use the History Brush to paint from them.

Which will be a LOT easier once Chris gets round to fixing the History Palette!
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 6, 2004
That sounds like a MacOS bug that we worked around in CS (once a view gets too long, the OS just draws black).
R
Ram
Aug 6, 2004
Chris,

That sounds like a MacOS bug that we worked around in CS (once a view gets too long, the OS just draws black).

Of course! The same thing that happens in the File Browser when there are way too many files in a folder.

Thanks for the reminder. It didn’t occur to me that anyone could reach that limit within History states. Never heard of anyone having that many. 🙂
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 7, 2004
Ramon – well, since I increased the history limit, it’s too easy to hit in history.

(and brushes, and swatches, and …)
R
Ram
Aug 7, 2004
That’s good to know, just so I won’t freak out if I ever see my history states just go to black.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections