RS
Posted By
Ryan_Strole
Aug 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been frustrated by this problem with Photoshop 7 for a year and a half!!

Symptom: When in Index Color mode, and working with a channel, SOME FILES exhibit this… the magic wand, with contiguous on or off (either way) selects ALL.

The channel will still load properly, so it’s obvious the program does distingiush between black and white…. but very frustratingly the magic wand simply selects all when clicked on any area of the channel.

I’ve searched everywhere and am thinking of paying for support…. any ideas?

G4 dual processor 1.2ghz
1 GB SDRAM
256 MB ATI Radeon Video Card

(help!)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 5, 2004
Are you clicking in the Alpha channel or the Index Channel?

Check the Options bar and reduce the wand’s Tolerance setting.
RS
Ryan_Strole
Aug 5, 2004
That’s the strange part: the wand works fine in the *index* channel… what happens is when I click on an alpha channel (ie: black and white or grayscale channel) it behaves like the "select all" command.

Also; I have the tolerance set to ZERO (with the limited palette in index color, we can’t work with partially selected pixels so the alpha channels are usually in black and white only, no greyscale).

It’s almost like I have quickmask on, but that isn’t the case!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 5, 2004
You couldn’t have already had an active Selection (but hidden) and Shift clicked the wand, could you?

The only other things that I can suggest are to trash your Photoshop Prefs.Β—and Repair Permissions (if you are using OSX).

You mentioned version 7: you need to upgrade to 7.0.1 if you haven’t already done so.
RS
Ryan_Strole
Aug 6, 2004
Actually this problem has occurred with all of the G4s in our department, and it seems file-specific rather than computer-specific; I can open 2 index files side by side and one will have the problem and one will not, and the same file will be symptomatic on every computer in the dept.

Thanks for the tip on 7.0.1! Although it didn’t solve this specific issue, it is helpful to be up to date.

Also, and I should have mentioned this earlier, if I switch to RGB the wand behaves normally again… switch back to index, however, and it resurfaces.

And if I select all of the image, copy, and paste it into a new file, the channels act normally again (I can select with the wand normally again in alpha channels).

I’m wondering if this is a bug rather than a setting?
RS
Ryan_Strole
Aug 6, 2004
oh I trashed the prefs, good idea (!) though the wand problem persists : – P

I’ve also verified disk permissions a handful of times already, back in Jaguar and now in Panther; this problem seems unrelated.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 6, 2004
<< And if I select all of the image, copy, and paste it into a new file, the channels act normally again (I can select with the wand normally again in alpha channels). >>

This definitely sounds as though there is some sort of problem with the alpha channels in those particular original files. But what?
RS
Ryan_Strole
Aug 6, 2004
It’s a very strange issue…. if you’d be interested in playing around with one of the files I could email you one!

if so, send an email to

; – P
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 6, 2004
I have:

But do post e-mail addresses as uclaryan at aol dot com

Because spider’s bites are poisonous.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 6, 2004
Ryan:
Check your e-mail. Your box may be full as I received this automated message from you: << Hello. I am unavailable to read your message at this time. >>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections