VD
Posted By
Velina_Designs
Apr 5, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is the most efficient, smart and sharp way to use magic wand to select a person on a photo. I usually use the magic wand at around point 30 for clear areas, then down to 20 and 10 for smaller details, but then it gets to be very very tedious to clean the contours of someone’s face, head, arms etc. I have the same problem with the Lasso which does not sharply cuts around. Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NK
Neil_Keller
Apr 5, 2008
Velina,

If you have a simple, clearly defined backgrounds surrounding your subjects, your techniques would work. When you have a complex background (a number of different colors, textures, contrast edges, details), it becomes difficult and requires a lot of handwork. If you have hair you need to separate, it becomes even more of a trial to do it realistically.

You can make a mask of your selection, and do some retouching of the mask. That can be easier. You can also try the magnetic lasso.

It’s why movie studios often shoot against green or blue backgrounds when they need silhouetting as it greatly simplifies masking.

Neil
B
Buko
Apr 5, 2008
What version do you have?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 5, 2008
Worth remembering: Magic Wand’s selection sensitivity is directly affected by your eye-dropper’s settings.
R
Ram
Apr 5, 2008
If you have CS3, don’t overlook the Quick Selection Tool, then > Refine Edges.
B
Buko
Apr 5, 2008
That’s why I asked what what version. No use telling them about features they don’t have.
R
Ram
Apr 5, 2008
That’s what they get for not giving enough information.
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 5, 2008
Every time I see this thread title I see this.

<http://imageshack.us>
B
Buko
Apr 5, 2008

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections