RB
Posted By
Robert_Burns
Aug 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using the Creative Suite, what would be the best 11×17 inkjet / laser printer for printing from these applications. I am interested in best print quality / print speed. I use both PC and Mac. Thanks in advance.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 6, 2004
Robert,

Some additional information would be helpful, such as:

• do you need high-speed reproduction (as in an office situation)? • are you going to be printing mostly office-type documents (letterhead, proposals, etc.)? • are most of your documents going to be photographic images, text, or a mix of the two? • do you have a budget?
• do you print on just laser bond, or do you need to use photographic-type paper? • do you need a straight-through paper path for heavier materials? • do you need photorealism?

Neil
R
Ram
Aug 6, 2004
Robert,

You might find this VERY recent thread helpful:

Ramón G Castañeda "Printer Help, which one?" 7/25/04 10:53pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>
B
Buko
Aug 6, 2004
Epson 2200
L
Larryr544
Aug 6, 2004
Epson 4000
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 6, 2004
Epson 4000
R
Ram
Aug 6, 2004
Depends on budget. Epson 4000 or Epson 2200.
L
LRK
Aug 6, 2004
Some people have move over to the Canon i9900 and those I’ve heard from have nothing but glowing reports. Archive life is yet to be determined though.
R
Ram
Aug 6, 2004
By the same token, there are those who have moved from the Canon to the Epson. I know two, not counting GB.
L
Larryr544
Aug 7, 2004
The Canon does look great but it is still dye based inks.
B
Buko
Aug 7, 2004
Two weeks plus in direct sun and no noticable fading yet on my Epson 2200 print on Premium Glossy paper.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 7, 2004
Even exposure from a 5000 K light box fades prints.

After all, it is classified as daylight.

Creo Spectrum contract proofs fade more so due to the base material or paper stock.

Superwhite base has optical brighteners in the paper so the fade rate is less.

Paper plays a HUGE role in print life as well as ink set.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 7, 2004
Linda-

Regarding "Some people have move over to the Canon i9900 and those I’ve heard from have nothing but glowing reports." Do you really know multiple folks who have moved from the SP2200 to the i9900? No doubt some folks have bought the i9900 after having previously owned non-modern Epsons (e.g. SP1200), and I would certainly hope that they would like the newer printer, but moving from the SP2200 to i9900 seems illogical.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 8, 2004
There is a piece in the current issue of Consumer Reports which lists Canon and HP inks as being more prone to fading than Epson’s.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 9, 2004
From my perspective:

If you need a great larger photo printer, then I’d go with the 2200. If you need photos AND text, I’d spend the extra bucks for a 4000.

Neil
B
Buko
Aug 9, 2004
the 2 biggest differences between the 2200 and the 4000 are:

2200 prints 13×19 set of ink costs about $80

4000 prints 17×22 set of ink costs about $900
CW
c_watts
Aug 9, 2004
My fade tests on the i9100 using Canon ink and Epson Premnium Luster paper are coming along…. no noticeable fading (even the one on the dashboard of my car) after a whole week!

cw
R
Ram
Aug 9, 2004
cw,

If your tests continue to hold up, that would reinforce the notion that the fading problems lie primarily with the Canon papers.

On the other hand, you would certainly have to have a custom made profile for that Canon-ink/Epson paper/Canon-printer combination
L
LRK
Aug 10, 2004
Hi CW,

If you are up to it would you please email me? I’ll post my email in my name shortly.

Thanks,
Linda
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 10, 2004
Buko,

In comparing ink prices, what is most important is cost per print, same size, same coverge — not how much an order of ink costs. Any ideas on this?

Neil
B
Buko
Aug 10, 2004
I agree it is cost per print. But its still important to know if you need to buy a full set of ink its going to cost about $900.

Now if Robert only needs to print 11×17 prints a 4000 just may be a little much. especially when he can buy a 2200 for about $200 less than a set of the 4000 ink cartriges. and the the ink is identical.

It would sure be a waste of ink too, if the ink in the 4000 was not used enough and dried up before it was all used.

this is why I thought the info was important
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 10, 2004
My only observation is that the life cycle costing of the printer needs to include the cost of one set of backup ink cartridges. Ergo the 4000 up front cost is +US$900, not insignificant.

I back up ink cartridges for the SP2200 four deep, and some cartridges have been in stock for 14 months with never a hint of ink malfunction in a very dry high altitude environment. My guess is that the 4000 would perform similarly, so I would not worry about in-cartridge ink longevity. However, every printer I have ever had sooner or later failed, leaving me with expensive unused inks. It is reasonable to expect the EOL of a 4000 printer to leave US$900 worth of ink unused.
B
Buko
Aug 10, 2004
It is reasonable to expect the EOL of a 4000 printer to leave US$900 worth of ink unused.

You could always buy another 4000. B)
L
Larryr544
Aug 10, 2004
SO does anyone have per square foot ink costs comparing the 2200 and 4000?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 10, 2004
If you just look at the price of ink per gallon, it’s around 22K per color.
L
Larryr544
Aug 10, 2004
Mike – for which printer? How do they compare? I’m wondering about print costs per page.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 11, 2004
If you dollar cost average Epson ink by weight, it’s totally an insane price.

You think gasoline is expensive?
R
Ram
Aug 11, 2004
Mike,

Few liquid things are as cheap as gasoline. Have you priced a gallon of milk lately? Even bottled water?
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 11, 2004
But IMO the per print cost is tolerable. Larry, the (my empirical experience) ink for an Epson SP2200 8×10 averages much less than US$1. I have been unable to find good data on per image ink costs SP2200 vs 4000, even though Epson hypes that the 4000 is cheaper.
R
Ram
Aug 11, 2004
Allen,

Presumably Epson figures on giving 4000 users a break in the per-drop cost of the ink because of the MUCH larger ink cartridges of the 4000.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 11, 2004
Presumably. 🙂
L
Larryr544
Aug 11, 2004
Presumably, but one does have to replace the ink waste holding tank on the 4000 every so often. I suspect that cleaning the head will be happening automatically frequently?
CW
c_watts
Aug 11, 2004
Ramon-
I use the Canon Glossy profile on the Epson premium luster paper and I am pretty happy with the results. I am getting the best match that I have ever seen between a monitor and a print. This assessment could mean different things depending on the observer, but this is what I get paid to do so I’m confident in my assessment. YMMV.

LRK, you are welcome to correspond with me at photoshoplist at bake _d_ot o_rg.

cw
L
LRK
Aug 11, 2004
Thanks CW… I just emailed you…
R
Ram
Aug 12, 2004
Thanks, CW. These parallel threads on printers are gradually encouraging me to investigate the "little brother" to your Canon printer to use exclusively for 8×10 and smaller glossy prints. That would allow me to keep the Epson 2200 permanently on Matte Black ink, and I wouldn’t have to worry about swapping the black cartridges. I much prefer prints on matte paper, and I only print on glossy printer when urged to do so by people to whom I can’t say no. They usually want 5×7 prints and an occasional 8×10.

I’ll see what I can find at the Canon site re the smaller models. It’s very comforting to know the Epson Premium Glossy paper works so well for you. I could use it on both printers.
F
frenchc
Aug 12, 2004
I have used Epson printers in the past. I have the Canon i9100 now, and it is a great all-around printer. I also use the Epson premium luster and matte papers in it with no problem. If speed is an issue, go with the Canon.

You really can’t go wrong with Epson or Canon photo printers.
F
frenchc
Aug 12, 2004
I just read the other printer thread, and saw the i9900 review. wow. get it.
CW
c_watts
Aug 12, 2004
Ramon, I use the premium LUSTRE, not the glossy (usually)

I do occasionally use the Canon glossy paper, and am pretty happy with that too, but I happen to have reams of the PL, so I have grown attached to it by reason of availability.

One paper that really, absolutely sucks on Canons is the Pictorico Premium Glossy. It’s probably a profile thing, as I have not bothered to generate one for this paper. But don’t try to use Canon or Epson profiles for this stuff.

chris
R
Ram
Aug 12, 2004
Chris,

Ramon, I use the premium LUSTRE, not the glossy

I understood that; my brain was not connecting with my fingers when I typed.

Pictorico Premium Glossy.

That one is Pictorico’s bottom of the line paper. Don’t bother with it. I’m surprised you even tried it.

On the Epson 2200, I get the absolute finest glossy prints with Pictorico’s Photo Gallery Glossy Paper. Pictorico provides excellent profiles for this paper specifically created for the Epson 2200.

If you use Pictorico paper, by all means explore their site to see if they offer profiles for your printer.

Of course, nothing beats a custom profile if you want to invest the money.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections