WW
Posted By
wendell_westfall
Jan 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I open an image in Elements, it appears in a 5×8 window on my computer screen. I would like it to be much bigger, without my having to manually enlarge it. (Incidentally, my actual image file size measurements are pixels:1782X1200 and the document: about 24X16, at 72 pixels per inch.) I want the image to open up automatically in a larger work area — I have plenty of room for that on my monitor. Is there a setting that will enable me to do this?
Thanks,
Wendell

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 14, 2004
In General Preferences I notice that you can choose to have your documents open centered, but I am not aware of a setting that will allow you to designate the size. You aren’t talking about having Elements open maximized, are you?
WW
wendell_westfall
Jan 14, 2004
Yes, I believe I was, Jim. Another dumb question answered. Thanks, you solved the problem for me. (I’m embarrassed.)
Wendell
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 14, 2004
There is no automatic setting, but there are a couple of ways to make the image larger that are very easy. "Fit on Screen" is Control/Command-O (that’s ‘oh’ not ‘zero"), which will quickly enlarge an image to fill the area between the toolbar and the palettes. I just use the Control/Command + or – keys and zoom it up or down to suit me. Neither are hard and probably give much more control than a preset would. It would be hard for Aobe to build something in, I’d think, since people use Elements with monitors that have a wide range of resolutions, and people have images that open in an even larger range of sizes. If I were trying to figure out how to come up with a preset, I wouldn’t even know where to begin in order to accommodate all of the possible variables.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 14, 2004
No need to feel embarrassed. It’s hard enough to master a new software program, and it’s easy to forget some of the basic Windows philosophy while trying to learn something new. I’m just glad I was able to help at least a little bit.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 14, 2004
Whoops! I was typing while post #3 was coming on! Sorry. 🙂
LG
Lorace_Graham
Jan 15, 2004
Perhaps this would be the correct place to ask a question along these lines.

Once you maximize a picture or resize(so it’s in the center of the screen and showing no Canvas), how on earth do you get it back to where it was with the canvas showing?

I’ve done this with a picture when there were other pictures on my workspace – by maximizing, I lose the visibility of the other pictures, too, and I never know how to go back to where I was without closing/saving the current picture.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lorace
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 15, 2004
To resize your view on the monitor, use the keyboard shortcuts of Control/Command + or -, or go under the View menu and choose Zoom In (or to enlarge, Zoom Out.)

I’m not too sure what you’re referring to when you say Canvas, though. Unless you’ve specifically increased the size of the canvas under Image>Resize>Canvas Size, the canvas size and image size are usually the same. Or, there are cases where someone might create a large blank canvas when they’re moving two or more pictures so they can print multiples at one time. I don’t think this is helping you though! Maybe you could give an example.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 15, 2004
Lorace, go to toolbar>window>tile…this will put images next to each other without losing them.
PA
Patti_Anderson
Jan 15, 2004
I think you are referring to the image window background, not the canvas, right, Lorace? If that is what you mean, the best thing is to use the Navigator. If the Navigator tab is not in the Palette well, then you can access it on the Windows menu, select Navigator. Use the slider to make the image zoom out, leaving more of the image window background showing.

Patti
LG
Lorace_Graham
Jan 15, 2004
Patti, yes, that’s what I meant – the image window background. and thanks Jodi and Beth. I’ll work on those suggestions.

I do know about the ctrl+ and ctrl-. that’s not the problem at all. I think it happens when I double-click the picture. Now I’m wondering and will check it out.

I’ll try the navigator trick. I didn’t know about that.

Thank you all so much.

Lorace

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections