Posted By
Fredrik_Israelsson
Jan 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Dear forum members,
I have recently purchased a scanner bundled with Photoshop Elements 2.0. I am running the software on Windows XP, and it does not seem quite stable. When trying to resolve my problems by updating the product, the Adobe online utility stops after a while, displaying the following message.

"File could not be downloaded.
<http://cgi…tform=ODLLVer=2.8.3.3AOMVer=2.8.3.3>

The internet connection timed out. Please try again later.

21:-121"

My internet works fine when visiting web pages, doing ftp transfers and getting and sending mail. Can anyone please tell med what I am doing wrong?

Thank You very much!
Fredrik

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 15, 2004
It’s a common annoyance. Solution: Go to Preferences > Adobe online and select ‘never’ from the menu. Turn that thing off, as many of us have already, and your troubles are over.
R
Ray
Jan 15, 2004
And there has been no software updates for Elements 2, so you’re not missing anything.

Ray
JR
John_R._Collins
Jan 15, 2004
Hi Fredrik,

Mark and Ray are correct that there have not recently been any PE2 updates. There were updates available (in the "How to" listing) when I first installed PE2. They may still be available to you.

I often get a message like you got when downloading plugins, etc. It may have to do with your security settings. What I do is disable my ZoneAlarm and my McAfee antivirus. As soon as I do this, I seem to be able to get through to previously inaccessible sites.

Hope this helps,

John
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 15, 2004
There were updates available (in the "How to" listing) when I first installed PE2. They may still be available to you.

Yes they are, but you don’t need the Update feature to get those. Just choose "Download new recipes" from the menu in the How to palette while you are online and PE will take you to where they are.
FI
Fredrik_Israelsson
Jan 16, 2004
Thank You!
I am sorry to tell You, though, that neither online update nor "Download recipes" worked out, even though I disabled my firewall and my Norton Auto Protect. Trying to download new recipes results in a dialogue box showing me "An unexpected error occurred while communication with the Online Service. Please try again."
Maybe I should get in touch with Adobe’s customer support concerning this, and stop bothering You in this forum. Or is it ok to deal with matters like this here?

Regards,
Fredrik
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 16, 2004
Fredrik, this is the perfect place to deal with this kind of problem! Assuming, of course, we can really help. Many times we’re better at this than Customer Support, and we’re free. 🙂

I have another question: What ISP do you use? If you have service from, for example, AOL, CompuServe, or Yahoo, or any other one that provides you with a customized browser, that could be the problem. Do you use a "plain vanilla" copy of Internet Explorer? If so, we’ll keep looking for another cause of your problem. If not – and I assume you’re using a Windows computer – go into Control Panels and make sure IE 5.0 or newer is set as your default web browser.
RS
Richard_Sweeney
Jan 23, 2004
I have the same problem. I see it in several places on these forums. I conclude that it’s unlikely to be caused by my computer settings. Why doesn’t Adobe post some information and a fix??
GM
Gary_M_Sampson
Jan 23, 2004
You seem to be the only one that the download new adobe receipes works for. I have no problems with the program update, but I can’t download recipes.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections