PN
Posted By
Penny_Nesbitt
Jan 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recentley installed PS2 with winxp. I have to open ps2 and go to the window browser before I can edit or view a Pic. I can’t open a single pic by right clicking and going to open with. I had ps1 and did not have this problem. Is there a solution. thanks Penny

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 15, 2004
Penny,

I’m assuming the reason you can’t open the way you want to is because Photoshop Elements isn’t on the "open with" list. If this is the case, at the bottom of the "open with" list is an option to Choose Program. This will provide you with a box where you can locate Photoshop Elements. Choose the executable for Elements, and then it should work for you. After you do this once, then Elements will appear on the list as you expect it to.
PN
Penny_Nesbitt
Jan 15, 2004
Jim, I have tried this to no avail, Photo shop elements 2 is not on the list. I have went into programs and tried to get ps2 on list but it will not appear. Any more suggestions? Thanks Penny
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 15, 2004
My only other suggestion would be for you to go into your folder options and associate JPEG files with Photoshop Elements. Then, all you would have to do is double click on any JPEG image and it would open in Elements. When you "choose program" are you able to locate the Photoshop Elements executable file?
PN
Penny_Nesbitt
Jan 15, 2004
Jim, I can locate ps2 in my program list. Thanks I will try your suggestion. Thanks Penny
DM
Dave_McElderry
Jan 15, 2004
Penny,

If PE2 isn’t in the list you will need to "browse" to find the main file that starts PE2. That’s the executable that Jim was talking about. Assuming you placed PE2 in the default folder when you did the install, here’s the steps:

Right click on any file of the type you want to associate with PE2. Choose Open With, and then Choose Program…
At the bottom right of the list of programs is a button labeled Browse. Click on it. Browse your file system to this path: c:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2\PhotoshopElements.exe (if you don’t see the exe at the end of the PhotoshopElements file click on it anyway. Your system is just set up to not show file extensions.)
Click on the Open button to return to the list of files. If you always want PE2 to open files with this extension, put a checkmark in front of the line that says "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file.
Click on the OK button.
When you have done this once PE2 should show up in your list of programs. If you want files with other extensions to also open with PE2, right click on them, choose PE2 from the list, and check mark the "Always use the selected…" line.

Good luck.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 15, 2004
Thanks Dave, that’s what I was trying to explain. After I installed Elements, it didn’t show up on the "open with" list until after I browsed and found the executable using the choose program option. After I selected the program once that way, it showed up on the list consistently after that.
DM
Dave_McElderry
Jan 15, 2004
Didn’t mean to walk on you Jim. We were both typing and posting at about the same moment. Let’s hope that between the two of us we can get her going.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 15, 2004
You didn’t walk on me, you just helped to clarify what I was trying to explain. I appreciate your help.
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 16, 2004
Dave and Jim,

I downloaded and installed a little freebie ap called "Open Expert" that really makes the task of choosing programs real easy.

Check it out at <http://www.baxbex.com/openexpert.html>
PN
Penny_Nesbitt
Jan 16, 2004
Jim Dave and Dick, Thanks for your input, I will try these steps and also download the open expert. Wish me luck. Thanks Penny from Alabama.
PN
Penny_Nesbitt
Jan 16, 2004
Jim Dave and Dick, have tried everything, when I go into ps2 in c program files and select it and then click open, it goes back to the open with and still no Pse2. Ive even tried uninstalling and reinstalling this program, but still the same thing. Thought I would let you know I am trying. Thanks Penny Ps. I haven’t downloaded the open expert yet.
CF
Callum_Ferguson
Jan 16, 2004
Penny.

If all else fails try, with ps and the pic folder both running select the pic/pics and drag them onto the ps name on the task bar still holding the mouse button down and when the ps desktop appears release and the pic/pics will open in ps. This applies to most files and apps.
Regards
Malcolm from NZ
PN
Penny_Nesbitt
Jan 16, 2004
Dick, I downloaded the openexpert and it solved the problem, you were right it is simple to use, also thanks for everybodys help. Penny.
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 16, 2004
Penny, glad to hear it. I love that little app. It saves all kinds of hassles.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections