RC
Posted By
Richard_Carlisle
Jan 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am new to Photoshop Elements. I am considering purchase of a second monitor. I use a Sony 49Y computer with Windows XP media edition.

My GeForce 5200FX card with 128MB supposedly supports use of an analog and digital monitor at the same time. I would like to display a full screen photo on the digital monitor and use the analog monitor for organizing image-editing tools.

How do I do this?

Thanks in advance!

Richard

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
I have no idea but… 2 have 2 monitors in one>click keyboard Tab on and off…you’ll get tools with image, no tools>just image. 😉
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 16, 2004
What platform do you use? I know how to do it in Mac with the extended desktop feature, but I don’t have a clue about Windows.
N
nytrashman7618
Jan 16, 2004
Jodi,
neat trick!!! seems i learn something new everytime i visit this forum.
RC
Richard_Carlisle
Jan 16, 2004
Jodi and Beth

Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully, clues/ideas will follow.

Richard (a Windows platform guy thinking about buying a Mac G5)
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 16, 2004
Well, Richard, if you’re thinking about a G5, going to a dual monitor system will be a piece of cake! But I still can’t help while you’re running Windows! 🙂
RC
Richard_Carlisle
Jan 16, 2004
TWIMC

Just found out that Windows XP has a function called Dualview that allows use of two monitors. Can also move items between the two. Not sure how it works with PS Elements–without buying another monitor to experiment.

< http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/customize /multimonitor.asp>

R
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 16, 2004
Richard,

I have seen it work with two monitors. Most times the Pro’s work this way as they find it easier to have their tools on one monitor and the image on the other. You need to change the settings in relation to the monitor. Your computer should have an option which allows you to choose two monitors instead of one. What it does is in fact enlarge your programme across two monitors. For the programme this makes no difference.
For instance your cursor will go without problems from one screen to the other one. You also will be able to drag one image from one screen to the other etc.
Whether it works for one digital screen and one analogue I don’t know. I am not a computer expert but I doubt that it works as your one software programme is spread over two screens.
May be some one else could be more helpful on that part of your question.

Robert
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 16, 2004
Beth explained to me that my G4 Mac will support what they call ‘extended mode’, meaning that whatever I am using with PSE for example, will go across both screens. It would be like one huge monitor.
But the iMacs only support what they call ‘mirror mode’, this is the same on each screen. And not as useful.
Do I have this right?
Just imagine what you could do with a G5 and 2 of the new 23" ones that I was looking at in our little Apple store yesterday! Thats a lot of dough, though,,,,,,,
Jane
RC
Richard_Carlisle
Jan 16, 2004
Thanks, folks…

I will try again to find someone at CompUSA that knows all or try to set up two monitors there.

Sounds like it should work just fine.

R
WM
Wally_Mavican
Jan 16, 2004
Jodi, please give specific/detailed instructions on clicking the Tab – on/off.

Thanks,
Wally
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
Wally, the ‘tab’ key on your keyboard……click on it once and you’ll see your tools palette disapear and only your image will be on the screen….click on it again and they will return.
SB
Steven_Bryant
Jan 17, 2004
I called Adobe Customer Support on this very issue a few days ago. The person I talked to at first was very unsure of the viability of what I wanted. I was put on hold for about two minutes and then was told that dual monitor operation was not possible with Elements (either on a MAC or WIN platform). I’m not sure that I really believe this. I suspect that it may have been a quick, convient answer rather than a well considered/researched answer.

I plan to do some more investigation. I am running Windowws XP with a 2.4 GHz Processor and a 4X AGP video card. I have looked at Microsoft Knowledge Base articles 296538 and 307873; both of which imply that that dual monitors can be added to the computer via a primary and secondary video card (they cam be either PCI or AGP cards) and the monitors can be of different sizes, resolutions, refresh rates and color palates. One of the articles also mentions something about a DualView mode using a single dual-output video card.

The article implied that these dual monitor approaches could be used with any software that is compatable with the operating system. I suspect that the same is true for the MAC. I plan to pose this question over at dpreview.com in their Retouching Forum. Although most of the folks there use full blown Photoshop, I don’t really think it should make much difference.
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 17, 2004
Has absolutely nothing to do with the software that you are using. Your computer will or won’t support dual monitors. In two different ways,,,,,,this is the important part,,,,,
If you have a G4 or G5 Mac, you have it, "Extended monitor mode". It is having 2 monitors side by side with the capability to have them Extend, or have two screens become one(wide). You can move your program and cursor across both screens as if they were one. Push them close together, and it is really one wide screen.

Or you have "Mirror mode", just 2 identical screens. Just like having 2 computers on at once anywhere in your house. The same thing on both screens. Not what you want.

I am a sort of beginner at all of this stuff, so you will find that the way I explain things is a bit confusing, but just ask Beth, Barbara, or the other experts on this. Or go to your local Mac store,,,,,and they will explain how the PC stuff will work too, just make sure that you get the EXTENDED mode. Dont buy till you see it in action.
Jane
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 17, 2004
Steven

wrote in message
I called Adobe Customer Support … was told that dual monitor operation was not possible with Elements

I find that very strange as I am able to do this running XP. It is not a product of Elements but a product of the monitor hardware and software.

Grant
RC
Richard_Carlisle
Jan 17, 2004
Jane, Grant, Steven

I think you are right.

I posted an URL above that seems to indicate that it is the graphics card and OS that dictates–not the software.

Richard
SB
Steven_Bryant
Jan 17, 2004
Grant and Jane,

I am inclined to agree fully with both of you. I know two people (one a neighbor and another at my workplace), both of whom run a dual monitor setup using Photoshop 7.0 on a Windows operating system with no problems. My neighbor showed me a couple of months ago how he places the menus on his small, used monitor and his image on his large, high-resolution monitor. He just moves the mouse over and it jumps seamlessly from one monitor to the other. It is just like having a monitor extension as Jane described.

I know that I can pick-up a good used monitor for $50 or so and a PCI video card for about the same price. I plan to try this out and I’m sure that I can make it work.
DF
David_Fortune
Jan 17, 2004
This is easy to do and works great with Elements.

The steps are:

1. Check the video card documents for two monitor setup. I have an ATI card with two outputs(DVI and analog) with a monitor on each.

Assuming you have the two monitors setup as per the documents do the following:

2. Right click on your main screen
3. Select Settings tab
4. Click on monitor 2
5. Check the little box titled "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor."

That is it when you open Elements grab the menus and drag them to the other monitor. When you open Elements from now on they will be on the other monitor.

It will make the menus much easier.
SB
Steven_Bryant
Jan 17, 2004
David,

Thanks very much for this information! I haven’t tried it yet because I don’t have a second monitor. However, I plan to get set-up for this and try it soon.
RC
Richard_Carlisle
Jan 17, 2004
David

Thanks for the help. Will give it a try.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections