Posted By
DaveC
Dec 18, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I have been using PS to make some simple web photo galleries. Finally figured out how to make them look OK.

But I am still struggling with the problem of getting image files into a particular order prior to running PS to produce the gallery. I know the simple and even some of the complicated ways. I would like to maintain my original file names as part of the final file names. I have Windows XP.

Ways I know of re-ordering image files:

– manually sticking numbers or letters in front of the existing filenames so PS and XP will sort correctly (lota work)

– dragging thumbnails into the desired order and then batch renaming with an incrementing number (erases original filenames)

– using Exifer or Flash Renamer to get images into some order based on metadata, then prefixing an incrementing number (doesn’t allow me to choose the image order arbitrarily)

For me, maintaining the orginal, individual photo filename or at least maintaining the original as part of a modified (i.e. consecutively numbered) filename seems important. When PS constructs a web photo gallery it uses the image filename as the HTML "alt" tag. The alt tag is what Google uses to index images, so the filename should be as descriptive as possible.

Anyway, I would appreciate hearing any ideas on how to drag thumnails into some order and then number them without destroying the original filenames entirely.

Thanks,

DaveCu

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections